[comp.sys.amiga] Here comes the Sun

rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) (07/27/90)

The New York Times had an article today (7/26) saying that Sun Microsystems
is going to start selling it work stations through computer retailers.
The chains they mentioned were Microage Inc. in Tempe, Ariz., Intelligent
Electronics in Exton, Pa., and stores run by Nynex Corporation in New York.
They hope to have 200 dealers carrying their machines in a year.

They also introduced a new computer, the Sparcstation IPC, which is a
color 15.8 MIPS workstation which will sell for $9000 without a
disk drive, and $10000 with a 207 megabyte hard disk.

Of course, it seems to me that this is going to play hell with their
software licensing.  If they are going to sell their workstations like
personal computers, their going to have to sell software for it the same
way.

Rich Champeaux                       PLT:  The plotter device for the Amiga!
rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu           Ask for it at your neighborhood FTP site!

"People say I'm lazy, but it takes all my time."

jcb@frisbee.Sun.COM (Jim Becker) (07/28/90)

rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) writes:

   The New York Times had an article today (7/26) saying that Sun Microsystems
   is going to start selling it work stations through computer retailers.
   The chains they mentioned were Microage Inc. in Tempe, Ariz., Intelligent
   Electronics in Exton, Pa., and stores run by Nynex Corporation in New York.
   They hope to have 200 dealers carrying their machines in a year.

   They also introduced a new computer, the Sparcstation IPC, which is a
   color 15.8 MIPS workstation which will sell for $9000 without a
   disk drive, and $10000 with a 207 megabyte hard disk.

   Of course, it seems to me that this is going to play hell with their
   software licensing.  If they are going to sell their workstations like
   personal computers, their going to have to sell software for it the same
   way.

Some  of  this will be based on CDware, which means 3rd party software
are placed on a CD and the user can drive before buying. Buying  means
`call up on the phone with credit card number for autorization key'.

Here are the two related press releases. I'm an engineer  though,  not
marketing.

-+This message has been approved for distribution to this alias+-

The following announcement was made July, 17.  Due to problems with
the mail delivery system, it was not distributed until now.

NEW CATALYST CDWARE PROGRAM FROM SUN
LETS USERS SHOP FOR SOFTWARE AT THEIR DESK

Other Developer Support Program,
Sun's "Welcome Kit," Also Helps Market Software

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. --July 17, 1990-- Sun Microsystems today unveiled
two innovative new programs for marketing and distributing application
software developed for Sun workstations.  Catalyst(TM) CDware(TM) lets
Sun users browse through an interactive "catalog" of applications --
such as Lotus 1-2-3 for Sun and FrameMaker -- contained on a CD-ROM
(compact disc-read only memory) disc.  For Sun's third-party software
developers, Catalyst CDware is an effective new vehicle for marketing
their products directly to Sun users.  As a key benefit of the program,
the application software can be distributed to users.

Sun's "welcome kit" is another unusual marketing program from Sun that
benefits both customers and software developers.  Now to be included
with every new SPARCstation(TM) shipped domestically, this box contains
discount coupons on third-party productivity applications and other
products.

Free Disc Sent to Customers Quarterly

Each quarter, Sun will distribute Catalyst CDware to its customers.
The disc will be offered to all Sun users at no charge.  Catalyst
CDware will include samples of software programs, short demonstrations
and other information that can be displayed and interactively
manipulated on a user's workstation screen.  To purchase an
application, Sun users will contact the software developer or its
authorized resellers directly.

A major feature of Catalyst CDware is the intuitive OPEN LOOK(TM)
graphical user interface.  Utilizing pull-down menus and
point-and-click mouse controls, OPEN LOOK makes it easy and fun for
users to look through the demos and programs, trying them out as
desired.

"As UNIX(R) systems such as our SPARCstations continue to move into the
Fortune 1000, it's important for users to learn about all the new
desktop applications for these systems," said Ed Zander, vice president
of corporate marketing at Sun.  "CD-ROM is great for this, since it's
inexpensive, easy to use and stores a tremendous amount of
information."

Last May, Sun announced its intention to convert to compact disc as the
exclusive distribution medium for all of its system and application
software by 1991.  Catalyst CDware discs run on SunCD(TM) drives, which
are now owned by a growing percentage of SPARCstation users.  In
addition, Sun is now bundling SunCD drives with all its
SPARCservers(TM) and high-end SPARCstations.  A Catalyst CDware disc
can also be loaded into a consumer CD player for audio information
about Sun applications.

To utilize the distribution capability of Catalyst CDware, software
firms put their products on the disc, with selected features disabled.
Users who wish to purchase the product contact the vendor, who supplies
a special computer code that unlocks the disabled features.  This turns
the vendor's Catalyst CDware application into a fully functional,
ready-to-use product.

"Welcome Kit" A First in Workstation Industry

Another developer support program from Sun is its "Welcome Kit," a
first in the workstation industry.  The kit contains discount coupons
on application software, which are included with a workstation.
Launched on a trial basis in May, the welcome kit will now be shipped
with every desktop SPARCstation purchased domestically, in Canada and
Italy.

It contains discount coupons from third-party vendors on a range of
software and services for Sun's SPARCstations, as well as promotional
pricing on Sun products.  Among the vendors participating are Lotus,
Frame, Interleaf, T/Maker, Access Technology and VersaSoft.

"We feel Catalyst CDware and our welcome kit are very effective,
creative ways to help the developers in our Catalyst program sell their
software," Zander said.  "Through these programs, software developers
now have a simple, direct marketing vehicle."

The first Catalyst CDware disc will be distributed in October.  Twenty
vendors have already signed up to participate in the new Sun program.
They are: Applix, Ashton-Tate, BMDP, DUX, Ficor, Frame, Ingres,
Informix, Interleaf, Island Graphics, Kodak, KnowledgeSet, Lotus,
Mathsoft, Media Logic, Saber, SAS, T/Maker, Unify and WordPerfect.
Participation in the Catalyst CDware program is being offered to
companies developing products based on OPEN LOOK.

Sun will begin including its welcome kit with new desktop SPARCstations
in mid-August.  Both programs will be expanded to encompass Sun's
overseas software vendors and customers in the future.

Sun Microsystems, Inc., headquartered in Mountain View, Calif., is a
leading worldwide supplier of network-based distributed computing
systems, including professional workstations, servers and UNIX
operating system and productivity software.

###

SPARCstation, SPARCserver, Catalyst and CDware are trademarks of Sun
Microsystems, Inc.  OPEN LOOK is a trademark and UNIX is a registered
trademark of AT&T.  All other products or services mentioned in this
document are identified by the trademarks or service marks of their
respective companies or organizations.

Press Contact:
Nancy Groves (415) 336-6411

From: press@relations
To: allsun@relations
Subject: SUN FLASH! (Distribution)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 11:39:56 PDT

-+This message has been approved for distribution to this alias+-

The following announcement was made today, July 25.

SUN SIGNS AGREEMENTS WITH MAJOR COMPUTER RESELLERS:

INTELLIGENT ELECTRONICS, MICROAGE AND NYNEX

NEW YORK --July 25, 1990-- Sun Microsystems today announced that it has
signed distribution agreements with three major computer reseller
organizations: Intelligent Electronics of Exton, Penn., MicroAge, Inc.,
Tempe, Ariz., and NYNEX Business Informations Systems Company, White
Plains, N.Y.  Each company will resell Sun products through local
computer centers located throughout the United States.  This marks the
first time that Sun has distributed its workstations through U.S.
dealer channels and is expected to further Sun's penetration of
commercial markets.

Intelligent Electronics, the largest reseller organization in North
America with 934 outlets, will market and support Sun equipment through
selected franchisees: Entre, Connecting Point and Today's Computers
Business Centers.  MicroAge, with more than 732 outlets worldwide, will
distribute Sun workstations to selected company-owned and franchised
centers.  NYNEX, which operates 76 sales branches called NYNEX Business
Centers in 30 states, plans to sell Sun equipment in all of its
markets.  Each value-added reseller must be individually authorized by
Sun and must offer systems in combination with software, training and
support.

"We're pioneering a new model for broad-based distribution," said Joe
Roebuck, Sun vice president of U.S. sales.  "It's clear that the PC
retail model has led to over-distribution, which serves the interests
of neither dealers nor customers.  Under our structure, selected
resellers will become 'desktop integrators,' certified to install and
maintain UNIX(R)-based networks.  They won't just sell boxes.  They'll
be required to provide customers with the highest level of service and
support.

"These new agreements reflect the continuing evolution of Sun's channel
strategy," Roebuck said.  "As the price of workstations continues to
fall and customer demand grows, Sun will look to third parties to
provide both a fulfillment channel and to open up new markets.  In this
way, we can continue our rapid growth while ensuring customer
satisfaction.  We want to make it easy for customers to buy Sun
systems.  We've spent considerable time talking to potential reseller
partners and we're happy to have reached agreement with companies that
are committed to successfully selling our broad product line."

Sun expects that about 200 NYNEX, MicroAge and Intelligent Electronics
outlets will be selling Sun products within a year, thereby
significantly expanding Sun's presence in computer centers nationwide.
The company is currently working with about 50 MicroAge, Entre,
Connecting Point and ComputerLand franchisees under its value-added
reseller program but has not, until now, signed any national agreements
with franchise organizations or nationwide resellers such as NYNEX.

Agreement with Intelligent Electronics

Intelligent Electronics' franchisees -- Entre, Connecting Point and
Todays Computers Business Centers -- traditionally target small to
medium-size companies.  While all three chains are represented in major
metropolitan areas, each has a strong presence in secondary and
tertiary markets and will sell Sun systems in areas where Sun does not
have a sales office.   All locations expect to act as system
integrators, offering solutions such as Sun systems networked with
PCs.  In addition, the chains will market Sun computers as advanced
office automation workstations.

Intelligent Electronics announced on Monday that it has formed an
Advanced Systems Division to provide pre- and post-sales support for
resellers transitioning to sales of high-end workstations and networked
systems.  Sun workstations are the first products marketed by the new
division.

"We consider this agreement with Sun to be a significant strategic
alliance between two companies that have continued to play a leadership
role in the industry," said Intelligent Electronics President Mike
Shabazian.  "We believe the solutions Intelligent Electronics and Sun
can jointly bring forward to end users will greatly enhance the
development of the industry."

Agreement with MicroAge

MicroAge currently has a number of franchised locations authorized to
sell and support Sun SPARCstation(TM) and SPARCserver(TM) products.
MicroAge expects its resellers to concentrate on desktop publishing and
networked office automation solutions, as well as continuing to sell
into the CAD/CAM market. "Sun just opened a rich growth opportunity for
the reseller channel," said Alan Hald, MicroAge chairman.  "Sun's
commitment to carefully manage its distribution channels will benefit
all resellers who qualify to sell Sun products."

MicroAge is well known within the industry for its ability to install
UNIX and networked systems.  The company has national account services
in place for such products and already provides advanced technical and
system integration support to Sun-authorized locations.  "This
agreement will further expand that support," said Hald.  "It will bring
our effective marketing and distribution capabilities into play.  Much
can be done to reduce the time now needed for resellers to sell, stage
and successfully install workstation system solutions."

Agreement with NYNEX

NYNEX Business Centers offer microcomputers, software, peripheral
equipment, education and specialized services, including the design,
installation and maintenance of local and wide area networks.  The
Sun-based solutions that NYNEX will remarket are focused on network
integration services.  NYNEX will also offer solutions for office
automation, multimedia and imaging.

According to Mike Marino, senior vice president of NYNEX Business
Centers, "NYNEX has a well-developed infrastructure to provide our
customers with the business services and technology platforms they need
in order to compete.  We, like Sun, believe that the integration of
personal computers and workstations into networks is critical to the
success of our customers, ourselves and our industry.  We will provide
Sun with the opportunity to reach many large corporate accounts, while
Sun will offer us many new market opportunities and exciting technology
platforms."

Sun Microsystems, Inc., headquartered in Mountain View, Calif., is a
leading worldwide supplier of network-based distributed computing
systems, including professional workstations, servers and UNIX
operating system and productivity software.

###

SPARCstation and SPARCserver are trademarks of Sun Microsystems.  UNIX
is a registered trademark of AT&T.  All other products or services
mentioned in this document are identified by the trademarks or service
marks of their respective companies or organizations.

Press Contact:
Dennis Freeman (415) 336-6117

--
	 Jim Becker / jcb%frisbee@sun.com  / Sun Microsystems