[comp.sys.amiga] CrossDOS problems

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (07/27/90)

[This doesn't belong in comp.sys.amiga.tech]

elec140@canterbury.ac.nz writes:
>At the time I got it I still had the Kickstart 1.2 ROM in my
>machine and CrossDOS worked perfectly.
>About a day later I updated my machine to the
>1.3 ROM and then I found the software would no longer run.
>Has anyone else had any problems like this?  Can I be sure that if I buy the
>product that it will work?

I sent in my registration and promptly got a letter back saying that
the version I had was no longer current.  They said updates were available
from BBSs or I could return the master disk and get a new copy of the
program.  The only trouble I've had with it since then is it occasionally
puts up requestors when I insert a disk which warn me that I "must insert
the disk again".  I'm guessing it has something to do with timing loops
breaking on my A2630.  Otherwise works fine.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@quonset.cfht.hawaii.edu

parris@usceast.UUCP (Barry Parris) (07/27/90)

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:

>I sent in my registration and promptly got a letter back saying that
>the version I had was no longer current.  They said updates were available
>from BBSs or I could return the master disk and get a new copy of the
>program.
>--
>Jim Wright
>jwright@quonset.cfht.hawaii.edu
>Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope Corp.

Updates are available via their BBS.  (Sorry, the number is at home.
Check their ads.  They usually have one in A-Meager World :-)
The upgrade patches CrossDOS to V 4.00a.  The patches work only if
you have V 3.06a or higher.

If you don't want to RTFM, here's a hint.  You can't mount 4.00a using
the AmiDOS or ARP mount command unless you run the TrackDisk patch
first.  The TDpatch is included with the upgrade.  If you're one of the
lucky folks with AmigaDOS 2.0, the patches are not required.

A new MFormat is also included, and it's MUCH faster.  Now you get
same day service when formatting a Messy-DOS disk.

--Barry Parris
(When I grow up, I'm gonna get a REAL .sig!!)

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (07/28/90)

parris@usceast.UUCP (Barry Parris) writes:
>Updates are available via their BBS.
>The upgrade patches CrossDOS to V 4.00a.

Any way to get this electronically other than through their BBS?  Anonymous
ftp would be great.  The note I got from them indicated that the patches
were available on "your local BBS", so why not my local ftp site too?