[comp.sys.amiga] Software availability: Amiga vs. Mac

ddev@wam.umd.edu (Don DeVoe) (07/29/90)

In article <2654@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>

>>   The Amiga has no software available for it because there is no market
>>for Amiga software.  As much as I'd like to see such software as MATLAB
>>and Mathematica ported to the Amiga, this will likely never happen.  If
>>the developers of these programs were to port them to the Amiga, they would
>>only sell three or four copies, making it not worth the effort of these
>>developers.
>

>Er, Marc. check your facts. MATLAB is out there for the Amiga.
>Matter of fact, it was posted to comp.binaries.amiga not long ago.
>There is Maple instead of Mathmatica available for the Amiga also.
>Which you would know about if you happened to read comp.sys.amiga in the
>last couple of weeks (it was just discussed).
>
>Each platform has it's strengths and weaknesses. PC's have spreadsheets
>and business software. Macs have scientific and word processing and graphics.
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^
Actually, PC's have a much greater variety of scientific software than any
other machine on the market, especially in the form of data acquisition and
analysis packages.

>I guess since the Mac's don't have much video, or animation stuff out yet,
>I can complain that Mac's don't have any software. After all, that's what
>you are doing when you say Amiga's don't have any software.

There are quite a few video soft/hardware packages available for the Mac,
ranging from 24 bit framegrabbers to NTSC converters.  I suspect there are
more video products available for the Mac than the Amiga, although most
of the hardware is not priced for the hobbyist.  As for animation software,
there is a broad range of packages available: VideoWorks, Studio/1, and
Macromind Director at the low end, and Animation Stand, Electric Image
Animation System, and DQ-Animax at the high end.  Also, there are a number
of more specialized programs available for niche markets. It is my experience
that the breadth and depth of animation software on the Mac overshadows the
software available on the Amiga.

>Let's see the Mac run Amiga software.

Other than some superb games, there is little software that the Amiga has
to offer the Mac. Hopefully, as the A3000 becomes more accepted as a Mac/IBM
competitor, this will change.

--
Don DeVoe       "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders
ddev@epsl.umd.edu  what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of" -TMBG