[comp.sys.amiga] Noisetracker

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (06/11/90)

If someone has proof of the legitimacy of NoiseTracker, please email me.

By legitimacy, I mean whether it can be distributed.
Also of concern is whether NoiseTracker modules can be distributed.

So, if you have *proof* one way OR THE OTHER, let me know.

I've got a noisetracker directory on xanth in /amiga that's ready to go,
but it's closed right now pending some kind of resolution to this issue.

If I hear nothing, then I'll be forced to just throw it all away.
If you have information that clearly makes it legal to distribute
NoiseTracker, then now is your chance to speak up, by email only.

I'm already convinced that SoundTracker cannot be distributed (if by
anything, by the name SoundTracker being used on a product (shades of
tetris)), so don't bother mentioning it.

	 ...tad

root@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Privileged Account) (06/15/90)

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:

>If someone has proof of the legitimacy of NoiseTracker, please email me.

>By legitimacy, I mean whether it can be distributed.
>Also of concern is whether NoiseTracker modules can be distributed.

>So, if you have *proof* one way OR THE OTHER, let me know.

[stuff deleted]
>I'm already convinced that SoundTracker cannot be distributed (if by
>anything, by the name SoundTracker being used on a product (shades of
>tetris)), so don't bother mentioning it.

>	 ...tad

As far as I know, SoundTracker (the original, from which NoiseTracker
is a descendant), was a commercial product by Karsten Obarski (German).
This would mean NoiseTracker, and all modified versions of SoundTracker,
are illegal!
I know lots of Cracker-groups made their own changes to this commercial
version, and I think that's the was SoundTracker was distributed!!
I also know that there have been Cracker-groups that worked together
with Obarski, but I don't know if the versions that came from this work
are distributed, and if these versions are (still) copyrighted.
However, I don't have *proof* of this, so I'll just put it here, hoping
that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

                                      Freddy Aries

FAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFA
A      									   F
F            Freddy Aries        					   A
A            Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science 		   F
F            University of Nijmegen, the Netherlands       		   A
A     Email: vlsi4@erato.cs.kun.nl					   F
F								       	   A
AFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAF

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (07/29/90)

Hi there.  I can't seem to find Noisetracker anywhere, though I keep
hearing it's a godlike music editor and I'm really looking for
something that goes beyond MED.  Could I arrange with some kind soul
out there to have it mailed to me?

Also, I've heard there's some kind of music program out there now
which will do some nasty illegal straight-to-the-hardware type things
and give me 8 channels instead of 4.  Can someone point out the name
of this and where it might be found for FTP or on Plink (hell, I can
even use Qlink)?

Thanks.
--
Robert Jude Kudla  <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu>

	    But he said, "Leave me alone, I'm a family man
	      And my bark is much worse than my bite..."