[comp.sys.amiga] Looking for weather stuff

glenb@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Glen Baker) (07/24/90)

Does anybody out there know of any weather information software/hadware for
the Amiga? As an avid windsurfer/flyer/skier/generally outside person I'm
always looking at weather maps on TV. I'd rather be able to grab them straight
off of the satellites and display them on my Amiga.

In addition, there are several really cool packages for IBM/Mac machines to
display weather info that has been tailored to the windsurfer's needs.
Is there any way I can fool my Amiga into thinking it's an IBM with a decent
monitor??

..glen "always looking at the sky" baker

stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) (07/25/90)

glenb@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Glen Baker) writes:

>Does anybody out there know of any weather information software/hadware for
>the Amiga? As an avid windsurfer/flyer/skier/generally outside person I'm

Current weather data is available via your modem from several sources.  Many
of them charge --non-trivial-- connect charges for their services but others
aren't too bad.  As you mention, most software systems are geared towards
IBM/Mac machines.  The text portion of these services is available and
readable to any PC with a good communications program.

Accu-Weather has three ways you can get info from their system.  Their
text service is responsive and easy to use.  They also have a simple
graphics display system, plotting weather maps using a Textronics graphics
protocol...the TEK/VLT line of PD communications software will handle
this type of plotting.  It's not really fancy, but it gets the data displayed
quickly and easily.  I have read that they have an Amiga program available
now that displays their full color graphics (including satellite pictures)
on an Amiga.  I do not own that program, so I can not vouch for the cost
or performance.

(Disclaimer....I am not associated with Accu Weather except as a satisfied
customer of their service...)

Taking another step in data reception, we have a GOES/Polar Orbiter satellite
reception system in our office that uses an Amiga.  We receive the data
directly off of the satellites and display it on the Amiga.  There are many
options concerning this type of system, many of them requiring considerable
$$$$$.  I am in the process of trying to set up an inexpensive ground
station at home for polar orbiter reception.  I would be glad to exchange
info with anyone interested in this project...I KNOW it will not be a simple
project.

Check out a recent issue of Weatherwise (should be a the library or a large
bookstore) for ads about other affordable data services.

Steve Masters      stevem@hal.CSS.GOV
ENSCO Inc.
445 Pineda Ct.
Melbourne, FL  USA 32940

eachus@linus.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) (07/26/90)

In article <620006@hpnmdla.HP.COM> glenb@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Glen Baker) writes:

   Does anybody out there know of any weather information software/hadware for
   the Amiga?

     Yes, the Amazing/Amiga Computing Products Guide lists several
software packages.  No addtional hardware required other than a modem.
Many weather services provide IFF files for transfer, so all you
really need is a IFF viewer.

   As an avid windsurfer/flyer/skier/generally outside person I'm
   always looking at weather maps on TV. I'd rather be able to grab
   them straight off of the satellites and display them on my Amiga.

     Most TV stations grab them from a commercial service to display
on their Amigas (most TV weather programs use Amigas, some of them use
other equipment as well)...  Direct off the weather sattelites is a
bit tricky, but you can get them images direct from NOAA if you want.

   In addition, there are several really cool packages for IBM/Mac
   machines to display weather info that has been tailored to the
   windsurfer's needs.  Is there any way I can fool my Amiga into
   thinking it's an IBM with a decent monitor??

     Wow, what a loaded question... It is possible to put a Targa
board in your Amiga, but I doubt these programs support Targa formats.
You can also put a A2286 and a VGA board in a 2000, if you consider
that to be a decent graphics protocol (You would also need a second
monitor unless you got real clever).  The Transformer will trick an
Amiga 1000 or 500 into thinking it is an IBM PC, but it won't think it
has a decent monitor...  You can also fool an Amiga into thinking it
is a Mac, but you throw away color.  (Actually you get your choice of
any two colors, not just black and white. :-)
--

					Robert I. Eachus

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
use  STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
function MESSAGE (TEXT: in CLEVER_IDEAS) return BETTER_IDEAS is...

garyf@wiis.wang.com (Gary Field) (07/27/90)

glenb@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Glen Baker) writes:

>Does anybody out there know of any weather information software/hadware for
>the Amiga?

There is a hardware/Software package called AVT that is available from
AEA (Advanced Electronic Applications):
AEA
PO Box C-2160
Lynnwood, WA 98036
(206) 775-7373

Price is $299.95

This package not only can copy Weather FAX but also Amateur Slow Scan TV
in every known format. I have it and highly recommend it.

collins@Alliant.COM (Phil Collins) (07/29/90)

       Can you list the phone munbers for those dial up sevices?I am interested in thst information.

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (07/31/90)

In article <620006@hpnmdla.HP.COM> glenb@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Glen Baker) writes:
>Does anybody out there know of any weather information software/hadware for
>the Amiga? As an avid windsurfer/flyer/skier/generally outside person I'm
>always looking at weather maps on TV. I'd rather be able to grab them straight
>off of the satellites and display them on my Amiga.

There's a box and/or software available which decodes/encodes what's known
as "Radio Fax".  This is useful for the slow-scan-TV stuff that people
like Ham Radio operators and UPS/AP use for sending pictures around
the world.  This box and/or software is also useful for grabbing pictures
from satellites (dunno if that's the same format or not...)

It was mentioned in the _What's_new_ column in AmigaWhirled a couple
of months ago and I've also seen it advertised somewhere, I think.
Price was ~$300-~$500..

It can be hooked to any audio input or output device so that the picture
could come over phone, radio, tape recordings, or whatever.  Same for
outputting pictures ...

>In addition, there are several really cool packages for IBM/Mac machines to
>display weather info that has been tailored to the windsurfer's needs.
>Is there any way I can fool my Amiga into thinking it's an IBM with a decent
>monitor??

wwaaaaeeellll  ...  I 'spect thet if there wuz software taylerd to
some p'ticular sport it might b' juggling or mebbe volleyball..  :-)

Oh yeah..  fooling an amiga into thinking it's an IBM requires a
bridge board, of course.
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>