[comp.sys.amiga] I think I hozed a .info

plonka@carroll1.cc.edu (Dave Plonka) (07/31/90)

This morning, about 2:30am, I was trying to replace my dh1: icon with a
fish. (A Blue Gill, or Sunfish, I beleive.) Anyway, I used a PD utility
called Brush2Icon to convert a dpaint brush to an icon.
I think what happened is that I ended up replacing both dh1:.info and
dh1:disk.info.
The df1:.info after this was only 25 bytes, so I copied the .info
from dh0: to df1: (now it's 170 bytes.) In retrospect, this probably
wasn't a good idea :-).

HELP!
Now, I can't open the disk by double-clicking, and I can't permanently
reposition it using snapshot.
What can I do? What is in .info as opposed to the disk.info? Is .info
the screen position of the window and disk.info the icon?

What is the format of a .info file? what can I use to edit it?
Is there a way to generate a new .info from scratch?

Oh, BTW, the icon does look like a fish. (So, something worked.)

Dave
--
-----------------------------------------------------------------///--------
    plonka@carroll1.cc.edu             Dave Plonka              ///

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (08/01/90)

In article <2016@carroll1.cc.edu> plonka@carroll1.cc.edu (Dave Plonka) writes:

>This morning, about 2:30am, I was trying to replace my dh1: icon with a
>fish. (A Blue Gill, or Sunfish, I beleive.) Anyway, I used a PD utility
>called Brush2Icon to convert a dpaint brush to an icon.
>I think what happened is that I ended up replacing both dh1:.info and
>dh1:disk.info.
>The df1:.info after this was only 25 bytes, so I copied the .info
>from dh0: to df1: (now it's 170 bytes.) In retrospect, this probably
>wasn't a good idea :-).

I don't think you can do much harm if you overwrite the .info file.
The .info file helps Workbench display your icons faster.  Workbench
is excellent at knowing when the .info file is out of date and to be
ignored.  Copying something on top of the .info file is guaranteed
(99.99999999999%) to invalidate it.

>HELP!
>Now, I can't open the disk by double-clicking, and I can't permanently
>reposition it using snapshot.

Workbench knows several TYPES of icons, including Project, Tool,
Disk, Drawer, and Trashcan.  The Brush2Icon utility should offer
you the choice.  It probably uses Tool or Project as the default.
Run it again, but specify an icon type of DISK.

>What can I do? What is in .info as opposed to the disk.info? Is .info
>the screen position of the window and disk.info the icon?
>
>What is the format of a .info file? what can I use to edit it?
>Is there a way to generate a new .info from scratch?

A .info file is generated from scratch whenever you open a disk
or drawer which is not write-protected and the file is out of date
compared to the directory it is in.  A special trick makes this work
even if you don't have a real-time clock.

>Dave

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com