[comp.sys.amiga] Faster GIF decoder was:Re: LZ 0.81 from Xenomiga Tech.

vito@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (66115000) (07/30/90)

In article <1990Jul29.045508.8431@uokmax.uucp> drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
>I too look forward to a bug free
>version.  BTW, if anyone contacts the author, ask him to consider applying his
>decompression algorythm to a GIF decoder.  Thanx.

I too would love to see a faster GIF decoder than Hamgif. I consider Hamgif
to be the best GIF viewer currently available.  If some skilled Amiga programmerwanted to expand upon Hamgif by speeding it up and adding some mouse-driven
menu options *I* for one would pay a share-ware fee.,
|             Cowell College, University of California, Santa Cruz       //   |
|             0X >> Theta Chi Fraternity, Theta Iota Chapter << 0X     \X/    |

caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) (08/02/90)

In article <5516@darkstar.ucsc.edu> vito@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (66115000) writes:
>In article <1990Jul29.045508.8431@uokmax.uucp> drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) writes:
>>I too look forward to a bug free
>>version.  BTW, if anyone contacts the author, ask him to consider applying his
>>decompression algorythm to a GIF decoder.  Thanx.
>
>I too would love to see a faster GIF decoder than Hamgif.  I consider
>Hamgif to be the best GIF viewer currently available.  If some skilled
>Amiga programmer wanted to expand upon Hamgif by speeding it up and adding
>some mouse-driven menu options *I* for one would pay a share-ware fee.,

The speed of GIF viewers/convertors is not really based on the time it
takes to decode the image, but to convert it into something that the Amiga
can display.  If the picture can be shown on a simple lo-res or hi-res
screen then HAMGIF is actaully pretty quick.  As soon as you need to use
HAM mode it slams on the breaks.  This is because now it has to do a fair
amount of work to convert the image to HAM mode (something it does a lousy
job at anyway).

If you look at GIFs a lot, you would be better off getting a GIF to IFF
converter (insert plug for GIFMachine here :->  (I wrote GIFMachine...))
and run that once.  The GIF to IFF converters tend to be even slower, but
it's a one shot deal.

-=> CAW

                          Christopher A. Wichura

               caw@miroc.chi.il.us      (my amiga)
               u12401@uicvm.uic.edu     (my school account)

Please! Do not send mail to my school account unless mail to miroc bounces.
    I often do not check uicvm.uic.edu for periods in excess of a week.