[comp.sys.amiga] X Windows on A3000!

lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Cy_Borg) (07/27/90)

I am the (usually) happy owner of an A3000UX.

I have to admit that I have very little experience with UNIX, but I'm giving
it my best shot.

My problem is this:

I can't get X to run!  I've run oladduser to set up my account to use
Open Look.  I've run olinit to (supposedly) set up Open Look.  I type

/usr/X/bin/X

and get the X screen (complete with pointer), but no windows open up on it!
I have to log on as root on another console to kill the process.  What am I
doing wrong?

Anyone?  Anyone?

AMIX needs an adduser script!  Editing the password file is for the birds!

Shannon Lawson

nsw@cbnewsm.att.com (Neil Weinstock) (07/27/90)

In article <25771@snow-white.udel.EDU> lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Cy_Borg) writes:
>I am the (usually) happy owner of an A3000UX.
[ ... ]

I hereby vote this posting "Most Likely to Generate a Zillion Responses."

                                   - Neil

--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--
Neil Weinstock @ AT&T Bell Labs       //    "Bust a move short shank,
att!edsel!nsw or nsw@edsel.att.com  \X/   it's The Man!" - In Living Color

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (07/27/90)

From article <1990Jul27.050723.11302@cbnewsm.att.com>, by nsw@cbnewsm.att.com (Neil Weinstock):
> In article <25771@snow-white.udel.EDU> lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Cy_Borg) writes:
>>I am the (usually) happy owner of an A3000UX.
> [ ... ]
>
> I hereby vote this posting "Most Likely to Generate a Zillion Responses."
>
>                                      -Neil

That was my reaction to this posting also. I quickly headed for cover. It
might be a good time to hide out in Havana or Johannesburg or someplace
safer for a couple of weeks.

---Mike,

--
A man said to the Universe "Sir, I exist!" | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
"However," replied the Universe,           | DLA Systems Automation Center

ewout@topcat.cbm.commodore.com (Ewout Walraven - CATS) (07/27/90)

lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Cy_Borg) writes:

>I am the (usually) happy owner of an A3000UX.

>I have to admit that I have very little experience with UNIX, but I'm giving
>it my best shot.

>My problem is this:

>I can't get X to run!  I've run oladduser to set up my account to use
>Open Look.  I've run olinit to (supposedly) set up Open Look.  I type

>/usr/X/bin/X

>and get the X screen (complete with pointer), but no windows open up on it!
>I have to log on as root on another console to kill the process.  What am I
>doing wrong?

>Anyone?  Anyone?

>AMIX needs an adduser script!  Editing the password file is for the birds!

>Shannon Lawson

/usr/X/adm/oladduser modifies your .profile file and creates the default
init&defaults files. It should be as simple as logging out and in again.
If that doesn't work, check that your .profile, .Xdefaults, .olinitrc etc.
have been successfully created/modified. Did oladduser give you any error
messages?

ec.

wolf@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.wolf) (07/27/90)

In article <25771@snow-white.udel.EDU> lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Cy_Borg) writes:

>I am the (usually) happy owner of an A3000UX.
>
>I have to admit that I have very little experience with UNIX, but I'm giving
>it my best shot.
>
>My problem is this:
>
>I can't get X to run!  I've run oladduser to set up my account to use
>Open Look.  I've run olinit to (supposedly) set up Open Look.  I type
>
>/usr/X/bin/X
>
>and get the X screen (complete with pointer), but no windows open up on it!
>I have to log on as root on another console to kill the process.  What am I
>doing wrong?
>
>Anyone?  Anyone?

Olinit should have set up the X environment for you, including the starting
of the X server and the first client (you should not start the X server
directly by invoking /usr/X/bin/X).

If olinit doesn't do what you want, see if this works.
There should be a program called "xinit" that starts up the server and executes
a default script file ".xinitrc" which it tries to read from your home
directory.  In this file, you specify all the initial X clients (programs)
you want started (usually at least a window manager and an xterm).  If xinit
can't find such a file, it defaults to starting a single client, xterm, which
is your basic terminal window.
('olinit' and 'xinit' function similarly, so you may also want to try creating
your own .olinitrc.)

Hope this helps,
Tom

>AMIX needs an adduser script!  Editing the password file is for the birds!

Write your own if you need it.  But how many users are you planning to add
to your Amiga  :-)

--
+-------------------------------------+ "Stupid" questions are better than
+-------------------------------------+

bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) (07/27/90)

In article <25771@snow-white.udel.EDU> lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Cy_Borg) writes:

>I am the (usually) happy owner of an A3000UX.

Wait, wait, wait!  This simple declaration of ownership raises MANY
  questions with this humble Amigan.

Who are you?  And exactly how did you get one?  How much did it cost?

I mean, I missed ~6 weeks of c.s.a., but I think I've been back long enough
  to know that Commodore hasn't released unix yet.  Or so I thought.

Oh well.  Just shows what you get for thinking.

>Shannon Lawson

                                     Bill.

=====   Bill Gribble           Internet: bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu =====
=====   Harvey Mudd College              wgribble@hmcvax.claremont.edu  =====
=====   Claremont, CA 91711    Bitnet:   wgribble@hmcvax.bitnet         =====
=====   (714) 621-8000 x2045   UUCP:     ..!uunet!jarthur!bgribble      =====

guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com (07/27/90)

 lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Cy_Borg) writes:

 > I am the (usually) happy owner of an A3000UX.

OK, I'll ask:

	Where did you get an A3000UX?

does this mean Unix (AMIX) is shipping on the 3000 now?

---
W. John Guineau                         guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation
Marlboro MA. 01752

In article <13472@cbmvax.commodore.com> ewout@topcat.cbm.commodore.com (Ewout Walraven - CATS) writes:
>lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Cy_Borg) writes:
>>I am the (usually) happy owner of an A3000UX.
[...]				       ^^^^^^^^
>>and get the X screen (complete with pointer), but no windows open up on it!
>>I have to log on as root on another console to kill the process.  What am I
>>doing wrong?

>/usr/X/adm/oladduser modifies your .profile file and creates the default
>init&defaults files. It should be as simple as logging out and in again.
>If that doesn't work, check that your .profile, .Xdefaults, .olinitrc etc.
>have been successfully created/modified. Did oladduser give you any error
>messages?

So, let's start the barrage of messages :-)  Is this a "real" A3000UX sold
to a "customer" we are talking about, or one of the "developer" units?

Inquiring minds want to know :-)

-- Marco

"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) (07/29/90)

><>
>Item:9705  About: X Windows on A3000!
>Date: Fri Jul 27 08:27:01 1990
>
>I am the (usually) happy owner of an A3000UX.
>
>I have to admit that I have very little experience with UNIX, but I'm giving
>it my best shot.
>
>My problem is this:
>
>I can't get X to run!  I've run oladduser to set up my account to use
>Open Look.  I've run olinit to (supposedly) set up Open Look.  I type
>
>/usr/X/bin/X

Ok.. go to another shell, and type "xterm&" ... you should see a shell on
the X screen.

REMEMBER that "X" has no shell in it , you MUST run X programs to get a
shell.

Add "xterm" to the programs list under the workspace menu, play with your
".olinitrc" and ".xinitrc" to get an xterm to start up all the time.

NOW WHERE CAN I GET A A3000UX !!!!

========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]========
=      "And in the darkened offices, the terminals shine like stars."      =
============= Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ==================
= NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by either             =
= Xanadu Enterpises or its clients, AT&T Bell Labs or others.              =
==== The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(PEP) / 201-759-8568(2400) ====

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (07/29/90)

My question is...where the hell'd you get Amiga UNIX?  It's SUPPOSED to be
prerelease.

Sounds like we're the ones who should be asking YOU questions :^)

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

sam@ms.uky.edu (Mike Mills) (07/30/90)

lawsonse@vttcf.cc.vt.edu (Cy_Borg) writes:

>I am the (usually) happy owner of an A3000UX.

Wow, you mean Unix for the Amiga is out???  Yay!

>My problem is this:

>I can't get X to run!  I've run oladduser to set up my account to use
>Open Look.  I've run olinit to (supposedly) set up Open Look.  I type

>/usr/X/bin/X

>and get the X screen (complete with pointer), but no windows open up on it!
>I have to log on as root on another console to kill the process.  What am I
>doing wrong?

Hmm, you should also have olwsm (Open Look Workspace Manager) and olwm (Open
Look Window Manager) running.  And before you get any windows, you need to
run a program that opens some, such as xterm.  Here, I'll just include a
couple of startup files that are placed in every new user's directory where
I work.  The following lines should be called ".olsetup":

*------Cut Here------*

OLINVOKE=yes export OLINVOKE	#!@ Do not edit this line !@
XNETACCESS=off export XNETACCESS	#!@ Do not edit this line !@
DISPLAY=`uname -n`:0 export DISPLAY	#!@ Do not edit this line !@
PATH=$PATH:/usr/X/bin export PATH	#!@ Do not edit this line !@
if [ "$OLINVOKE" = "yes" -a "$XNETACCESS" != "" -a -r /usr/X/bin/olinit -a -x /usr/X/bin/olinit -a -r /usr/X/bin/olwsm -a -x /usr/X/bin/olwsm ]
then
	/usr/X/bin/olinit -- -xnetaccess $XNETACCESS
fi
*------End of .olsetup------*

The next few lines should be saved as ".olinitrc".  It will start a clock,
and open up a couple of xterms on the local machine (in this case, your 3000):

*-----Cut Here------*

xclock -geometry 100x100+50+500 &
sleep 3
xterm -fn 9x15 -bw 3 -fg blue -bg white -n `uname` -e /bin/ksh &
sleep 3
xterm -fn 9x15 -bw 3 -fg blue -bg white -n `uname` -e /bin/ksh &
*------End of .olinitrc------*

Now, having placed those files in your directory, add the following line to
your .profile (if you are using ksh...if you are using csh, then you would
need to modify your .login):

. .olsetup &

If you plan on logging in from a remote host, you need to put the above line
in a test case, so that it is only executed when you are logged in at the
console (otherwise, if you logged in from, say, a vt100 terminal, windows
would pop up on your 3000's display.)  The following would work for ksh:

if [ `tty` = "/dev/console" ]; then
	. .olsetup &
fi

Hope this helps, and I'd like to know what Amiga Unix is like, so feel free
to mail me...

--
|  Mike Mills (aka "Sam")             | sam@ms.uky.edu  cn.mike@ukpr.uky.edu  |
|  (606) 255-3583                     |             BIX:  mike...             |

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (08/02/90)

Hey!!
You can't just post in this news group saying you have a machine that we
haven't even rumoured about yet! If you want to have a A3000UX, we all
have to argue for 3 months about if C= will support Unix on the straight
3000 (or 500 or 1000 or C64) and whether we will need to buy a streaming
tape drive and a porsche.

And you want help!!! Not on your nelly mate. You've just destroyed about
60,000 postings and prevented c.s.a becoming the largest newgroup for this
year.

Regards Alan

(ps do you need a streaming tape drive?)