[comp.sys.amiga] Applied Engineering 3.5" drive...

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Amiga Man) (06/14/90)

Is there anyone who has this drive?  It's supposed to read/write Amiga floppies
at 880K and 1.52Megs. I'd like any info (other than what is in the ad...) any
one has on this drive.

E-mail & I'll summarize to the net.

Thanks,
AMH

* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!|        ///
* Indiana University |-----------------------------------|       ///
*++Construction++++++|   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |   \\\///
*+++++++Zone+++++++++|   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |    \XX/

akcs.jpuffer@vpnet.chi.il.us (Joseph M. Puffer) (06/16/90)

>Is there anyone who has this drive?

I sent Applied Engineering a money order on May 1st. After two weeks I
called them to find out the status. I was informed that "If you were to
order it today it would be about 4 weeks, and since you ordered it a couple
of weeks ago, it should be there in 2-3 weeks. 2 weeks later I called them
again and was informed that "We're not shipping that drive yet, it will be 2-
3 weeks before we start. 2 1/2 weeks later, I called them again (June 14th)
and was informed that they still are not shipping and do not expect to ship
for about 2 more weeks. I'm beginning to think that they have no intention
of shipping and just use 2-3 weeks as a standard put-off.

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/01/90)

     I noticed their advertisements no longer say 1760K (or 2 x 880K) hi
density Amiga Dos drives anymore.  Apparently, it will only work no higher
than 1440K (or 1.44meg) drives as in the MS-DOS world....
     I kind of had a feeling it was too good to be true.
                                          Later

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman (AmigaMan)) (07/02/90)

In article <46200087@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>     I noticed their advertisements no longer say 1760K (or 2 x 880K) hi
>density Amiga Dos drives anymore.  Apparently, it will only work no higher
>than 1440K (or 1.44meg) drives as in the MS-DOS world....
>     I kind of had a feeling it was too good to be true.

I just read the Ad in AW and it said that "you can now store those 2 disk
programs on one disk".  I guess they hope your "2 disk program" is only really
"1 1/2 disks"

AMH
* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!|        ///
* Indiana University |-----------------------------------|       ///
*++Construction++++++|   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |   \\\///
*+++++++Zone+++++++++|   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |    \XX/

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (07/02/90)

Actually the AE drive stored 1.52 Megabytes. It has an electronic eject
which.. get this, can be activated via software! It has a nice long cord..
can read regular Amiga disks and has a pass through. I know... I have one!
And so far I like it alot.

Oppss... top line stored 1.52 Megabytes should be stores 1.52 Megabytes,
sorry, but our editor here sucks! :)

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

In article <31341@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>Actually the AE drive stored 1.52 Megabytes. It has an
electronic eject
	The first AmigaWorld they advertised in they said that
their drives stored 1.76MB, the next ad said 1.52 and the most
recent ad said 1.44. Don't ask me, but it seems like their
engineers think they can do more than they can.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (07/05/90)

OK... I have gotten some E-Mail asking about the AE 1.52 Meg Drive, here
is some info...

To install the drive all you do is plug it in just like any other Amiga drive
then copy the AETD.Device from the provided disk to your DEVS: dir. Edit
your mountlist to include the provided mountlist, then mount the device.

Poof! Instant 1.52 Meg drive!

Basicly, you treat it like a mini HD. It has a nice long cord on it, passes
the floppy bus, is VERY well put together... and of course can read regular
Amiga disks. Oh, it has a FULL one year warranty!

So far I am pleased! Oooo... almost forgot... one thing that is neat... it has
ONE LED on front. Green means READ, RED means WRITE and OFF means OFF! :)

Thats nice because you can see just what the drive is doing. Another neat
thing is that it will not let you eject a disk until the drive is done with
it! You can bang on the eject push button ALL you want... but the drive is
smart and will NOT eject the disk until the drive is FULLY finished writing!

As you can tell, I LIKE this drive. I also want to point out I am in NO
way connected to this company... other than a satisfied customer.

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

BRANDON@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (Brandon Hill) (07/07/90)

Is the 1.52 Meg figure using the old file system, or the FFS ?

The FFS will give you a little more space (about 5%) and might speed up the
drive a little compared to the old file system.

                                                         BlH

jimmy@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jimmy Chan) (07/20/90)

I assume that the drive uses High Density (HD) disks.  Will the drive
read and write Amiga formatted Double Density (DD) disks?

Last week I found out that IBMs HD drives could format 3 1/2" DS/DD disks as
1.44 meg formats because they might not be looking for the special hole on
the HD disks (at least this is what I've heard and assumed).  Will the
AE drive also do this?

--
     // ++-------------------------------------------------------------------++
    //  ||   Hardware : A2000, 3 megs, 2 internal 3 1/2" drives, Amax        ||

C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU ("Eric Edwards") (07/22/90)

In Message-ID: <8670@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> Jimmy Chan
    <jimmy@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> said:

>I assume that the drive uses High Density (HD) disks.  Will the drive
>read and write Amiga formatted Double Density (DD) disks?

Yes.  The AE drive will read and write stanard amiga disks as well as HD.
>Last week I found out that IBMs HD drives could format 3 1/2" DS/DD disks as
>1.44 meg formats because they might not be looking for the special hole on
>the HD disks (at least this is what I've heard and assumed).  Will the
>AE drive also do this?
The High density drive acts as two logical drives.  One standard amiga and
the other high density.  For example, on the machine that was shown at the
meeting was an A500 with one normal drive and the AE drive.  The AE drive
was DF1: for low density and df4: for high density.  If you tried to do
an operation on df4: when there there was a low density disk in the drive
the error "disk not present" was returned.  Presumably it detects this by
checking for the hole.

   /*/Eric Edwards  c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu or c506634@umcvmb.bitnet/*/
  /*/ "Sir, you are an excellent star ship captain /"We come in peace, /*/
 /*/  but as a taxi cab driver you leave much to  / shoot to kill"    /*/
/*/  be desired" - Spock, "A Piece of the Action"/  --"Star Trekkin'"/*/

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (07/24/90)

[I'm always suspicious of people who describe their system in their sig :-)]

This is something that will come up some more so I thought I would post a
little reminder about disks. Basically it goes something like this :

	"There is no conspiracy in the disk making business to sell
	 you the exact same media for more money because you can store
	 more bits on it."

You see a lot of people who don't know how magnetic media works either
notice or get told that sometimes a "single density" disk will work in
a "double density" drive, or that a "single sided" disk will work in a
double sided drive. Since the price of disks goes up with the number of
bits they are rated for, this leads them to believe they are getting
"ripped off" by the disk companies. So they go out an buy "punchers"
which can punch a hole in a single density disk and make it fool a
drive or OS into formatting it as a double density drive. This is
exactly analagous to putting tires designed for a Honda Accord onto
a Ferrari Testerossa. They work "fine" except they don't last as
long and can blow out on you when you are trying to turn a tight
corner. It is just as painful when you faked double density disk
becomes unreadable while sitting in the drawer.

Anyway, I don't no why I send this out. If you are one of these
people you won't believe me. You'll just say "Hah, a lot you know.
I've been doing this for _years_ and never had a problem." And
I will just nod my head and say "You can't say you were never
warned."

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:

|"ripped off" by the disk companies. So they go out an buy "punchers"
|which can punch a hole in a single density disk and make it fool a
|drive or OS into formatting it as a double density drive. This is
|exactly analagous to putting tires designed for a Honda Accord onto
|a Ferrari Testerossa. They work "fine" except they don't last as
|long and can blow out on you when you are trying to turn a tight
|corner. It is just as painful when you faked double density disk
|becomes unreadable while sitting in the drawer.

I've also had trouble going the other way, using a high density disk in
a low density drive (why would I do that? I just happened to have some
laying around, so I used them) From what I understand the High density
(1.44M) floppies need a higher head voltage to write to them than the
low density (amiga drives) produces. So, although it did work and
wrote the disks out, I started getting errors on the disks very soon
afterward.

But I don't know if there is a real difference between single and double
sided disks. I have heard many rumors for and against using single sided
disks as double sided :

1> don't do it, the back side is not polished and can ruin your drives head.

2> go ahead. They are all the same (single and double sided). It's just that
if one side does not pass the factory verification test, it is sold as
single sided. If you can format the disk with no errors then you can use
it. Just don't put valuable stuff on it

I think two is more correct. It works and won't harm your drive, but use
at your own risk.

--
John Sparks         |                                 | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 2400bps.
sparks@corpane.UUCP |                                 | PH: (502) 968-DISK

eeh@btr.BTR.COM (Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com) (08/02/90)

In article <2653@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>But I don't know if there is a real difference between single and double
>sided disks. I have heard many rumors for and against using single sided
>disks as double sided :

	Since some 5-1/4" single-sided disk drives use the top of the disk,
and some use the bottom, and the disk manufacturer doesn't know which dirive
the disk will be used in, both sides must work equally well.  Yes you can use
both sides of a single-sided 5-1/4" disk with no problems.

	3.5" and single- double- and high-density are altogether another matter.