[comp.sys.amiga] Time for a New Computer: Should it be an Atari ST?

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) (07/27/90)

colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:

[ ... reply to question on upgrade from CoCo3 to Atari ST ...]

>In my opinion, get a taiwanese 386 PC VGA compatible. That's the route I will
>follow as soon as they will cost less than the price I payed my first ST,
>about $1500 (now you have a 286 for this price). I had STs for the past three
>years, enjoyed them, but their time is counted... The amiga may survive since
>it has a credible successor with the A3000, but it is much more expensive than
>PC-compatibles for non professional graphic uses.

Speaking from Melbourne, Commodore dealers have reduced the price of
a 68020 upgrade for the Amiga 2000 by as much as a third in
anticipation of the Amiga 3000.  It is now possible to get an Amiga
with as much grunt as a 386 VGA machine with windowing software.
(NO!  No wars here! If you want to dissuade me, send email!)

As an aside:  have you noticed that when people compare IBM-clones
with either the Atari ST or Amigas, they thoughtfully neglect to
mention how much it costs to get a mouse, windowing software, a fast
graphics card, an operating system that multitasks, and enough memory
to get it working?  My impression is that buying a IBM-clone with all
the add-ons and legitimate software would cost more than an
equivalent Amiga or ST.

Second aside:  I read a rather biased article in some so-called
professional magazine (it was so biased I forgot the title) about
animation on the Apple Mac.  It started with the writer wondering why
the Mac couldn't do colour animation like the Amigas, and ended with
a recommendation to buy a 24-bit colour card for the Mac II.  That
writer (again, thoughtfully) forgot to mention how much such a colour
card would cost, and concluded by saying that Mac users now had the
same opportunities as Amiga users in doing animation.

---
Soh, Kam Hung      email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 03 541 6403
Telecom Research Laboratories, P.O. Box 249, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) (08/01/90)

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:
>Speaking from Melbourne, Commodore dealers have reduced the price of
>a 68020 upgrade for the Amiga 2000 by as much as a third in
>anticipation of the Amiga 3000.  ...

Ooops!  Made a mistake there.  The shop is in New South Wales, not
Melbourne.  I've just had an inquiry and realised my mistake when I
reread the advertisement in the Australian Commodore and Amiga Review
(July 1990).

Serves me right for shooting off my article without checking.

vilkas@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Jhary a Conel) (08/02/90)

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:

>soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:
>>Speaking from Melbourne, Commodore dealers have reduced the price of
>>a 68020 upgrade for the Amiga 2000 by as much as a third in
>>anticipation of the Amiga 3000.  ...

>Ooops!  Made a mistake there.  The shop is in New South Wales, not
>Melbourne.  I've just had an inquiry and realised my mistake when I
>reread the advertisement in the Australian Commodore and Amiga Review
>(July 1990).

WHERE? Please inform where this was & what price! I would dearly love to
turbo charge my 2000.

Jhary a Conel

aka vilkas