[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore getting sued by TI?

jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) (08/02/90)

     In the most recent issue of Amazing Amiga (July or August, I don't
have the thing in front of me), in the Roomers column, there is a bit
on how TI is looking to sue some companies, Commodore included, for
I think using similar schematics? Correct me and inform me if I'm
wrong.

-Steve M. Suhy

rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (08/02/90)

In article <26408@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes:

   >     In the most recent issue of Amazing Amiga (July or August, I don't
   >have the thing in front of me), in the Roomers column, there is a bit
   >on how TI is looking to sue some companies, Commodore included, for
   >I think using similar schematics? Correct me and inform me if I'm
   >wrong.
   >
   >-Steve M. Suhy

Is this Steve or John?  Anyhow, the short bit in the Roomers column states
that TI was suing a number of computer manufacturers due to some patents TI
holds on very basic hardware technology/technique.  If you had really read
the column you'd see that nothing was mentioned about "similar schematics".
Wouldn't that be copyright infringement though?  (Marco? 0.5 :-)

From the 5-years I spent at TI I know that the company does hold patents on
very basic digital electronics stuff.  This kind of stuff is usually taught
to anyone involved with digital computers at the hardware level.  I believe
that, if the story about the suit is true, the patents being protected
involves performing I/O to/from the CPU via bit-manipulation.  Yes, very
basic stuff but TI does hold patents of this type among many others.

Maybe someone from TI could comment on this?  (That's why I cross-posted
to comp.sys.ti)

		-Rusty-

--
Rusty Haddock				DOMAIN:	rusty@mimsy.cs.umd.edu
Computer Science Department		PATH:	{uunet,rutgers}!mimsy!rusty