[comp.sys.amiga] LZ 0.81 from Xenomiga Tech.

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (07/27/90)

Ok, I downloaded lz081.lzh from xanth:/incoming/amiga. I didn't know
what it was, but I soon found out: a new (and FAST) .lzh program with
complete commands (add, list, view, extract). The guy behind this is the
author of lhunarc (for those of you who use that).

And yes, it is really very fast. And I mean *very* fast! Not faster than
zip, but sometimes pretty close.

BUT, BUT, BUT....

It doesn't work very well! I get numerous Gurus in all kinds of situations.
The only thing I can do is list contents of *one* single file. Then it
exits correctly and returns to the shell (standard 1.3 shell). If I try
wildcards or extract it Gurus on exit. It melts and lists all files correctly
but when it has finished and should exit, it gurus every time.

Has anyone else tried lz081? Experiences? Could someone notify the author?
I can't 'cause he's not reachable via internet to my knowledge.
When lz works, I'm gonna throw away lharc1.11 for good, that's for sure!

Mike
--
      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
  //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se

ceej@pawl.rpi.edu (Chris J Hillery) (07/28/90)

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) writes:
>BUT, BUT, BUT....

>It doesn't work very well! I get numerous Gurus in all kinds of situations.
>The only thing I can do is list contents of *one* single file. Then it
>exits correctly and returns to the shell (standard 1.3 shell). If I try
>wildcards or extract it Gurus on exit. It melts and lists all files correctly
>but when it has finished and should exit, it gurus every time.

>Has anyone else tried lz081? Experiences? Could someone notify the author?

This is interesting... I've never had any problems at all with this program
(and it is very good). There is an LZ .82 out now, which I believe claimed to
have a few bug fixes; however, even with .81 I never had problems.  I know
it works fine when you don't use wildcards (seldom need to use them, myself)
so this should at least keep you going... have you thought that maybe it
doesn't like the way Shell expands wildcards? Try quoting them so Shell will
let LZ expand them on its own... this is often a problem...

>Mike
>--
>      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
>  //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se
>\X/   U of Lulea, SWEDEN      ARPA:     d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
>			      UUCP:  {uunet,mcvax}!sunic.se!sm.luth.se!d88-mbe
--
  //..is|While 1 DO|Erin,Erin,where are|Art of Noise space|    -- Ceej    (=
\X/there|  Fork;   |you? /-----------.-^------------------|ceej@pawl.rpi.edu

hamilton@intersil.uucp (07/28/90)

In article <1037@tau.sm.luth.se>, d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) writes:
> Ok, I downloaded lz081.lzh from xanth:/incoming/amiga. I didn't know
> what it was, but I soon found out: a new (and FAST) .lzh program with
> complete commands (add, list, view, extract). The guy behind this is the
> author of lhunarc (for those of you who use that).
>
> And yes, it is really very fast. And I mean *very* fast! Not faster than
> zip, but sometimes pretty close.
>
> BUT, BUT, BUT....
>
> It doesn't work very well! I get numerous Gurus in all kinds of situations.

I have heard that the program is reasonably stack-hungry.  Try a "Stack 20000"
command before running it and see if the problem(s) go away.
--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.

jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Darc Tangent) (07/29/90)

In article <1037@tau.sm.luth.se>, d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) writes:
> Ok, I downloaded lz081.lzh from xanth:/incoming/amiga. I didn't know
> what it was, but I soon found out: a new (and FAST) .lzh program with
> complete commands (add, list, view, extract). The guy behind this is the
> author of lhunarc (for those of you who use that).
>
> And yes, it is really very fast. And I mean *very* fast! Not faster than
> zip, but sometimes pretty close.
>
> BUT, BUT, BUT....
>
> It doesn't work very well! I get numerous Gurus in all kinds of situations.
> The only thing I can do is list contents of *one* single file. Then it
> exits correctly and returns to the shell (standard 1.3 shell). If I try
> wildcards or extract it Gurus on exit. It melts and lists all files correctly
> but when it has finished and should exit, it gurus every time.
>
> Has anyone else tried lz081? Experiences? Could someone notify the author?
> I can't 'cause he's not reachable via internet to my knowledge.
> When lz works, I'm gonna throw away lharc1.11 for good, that's for sure!
>
> Mike

I've only used lz 0.81 for two days, but I've unpacked several files
successfully, packed one file successfully, and had a friend who has used it
successfully for about the same time period.  Neither of us have had any
problems.  I have an Amiga 2500/20, fairly standard, and was running it from
CShell 4.01.  The speed is truly amazing!

Darc Tangent
jwwalden@miavx1.bitnet
jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu
"What do you care what other people think?" - R. Feynman

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/29/90)

     If I let the system load completely (workbench, etc....), lz works fine.
If I just boot and do a control D, lz will GURU unless a stack of say....4000
is used.
     Ver. .82 is out now.
                                             Jason

drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (07/29/90)

There is an update to this 0.82.  It is just barely better.  The author said he
wouldn't be back from out of the country until the 28th.  When he gets back I'm
sure he'll be bombarded with bug reports.  The docs say it has been thoroughly
tested butit would be obvious in just a few attempts that it isn't stable.  The
only reason I messed with it at all is that it is EXTREMELY fast.  I clock it
at 45% faster than lhunarc (when it works).  I too look forward to a bug free
version.  BTW, if anyone contacts the author, ask him to consider applying his
decompression algorythm to a GIF decoder.  Thanx.

 _______              __________
  _/____) '  __  /_/       /  '  /  / __  _      "N.I.N.J.A.J.I.S."-Me
  /  \___/__/___/ |_      /__/__/__/_/_-_/__/_/  The Displaced Razorback.
  ___________________________________________/   Founder:  IDGAFF Ltd.
The Amiga Computer - "...a more fiendish disputant than the Great
Hyperbolic Omni-Cognate Neutron Wrangler of Ciceronicus Twelve..."
-D.Adams;  Well, almost.

vito@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (66115000) (07/29/90)

This program has crashed every time I've used it. (Three times)

|             Cowell College, University of California, Santa Cruz       //   |
|             0X >> Theta Chi Fraternity, Theta Iota Chapter << 0X     \X/    |

black@beno.CSS.GOV (Mike Black) (07/29/90)

In article <1952.26b1acf1@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Darc Tangent) writes:
>I've only used lz 0.81 for two days, but I've unpacked several files
>successfully, packed one file successfully, and had a friend who has used it
>successfully for about the same time period.  Neither of us have had any
>problems.  I have an Amiga 2500/20, fairly standard, and was running it from
>CShell 4.01.  The speed is truly amazing!

I've used it for about a month now and it works as long as all you do is simple
stuff.  I'm running a 1000 with 1.5 Inboard, Conman, AShell, and WB1.3.2 and if
you abort the program or it
aborts, or any other error occurs, it guru's with an address error.  Sounds like
the exit code has an alignment problem.
Mike...

: usenet: black@beno.CSS.GOV   :  land line: 407-494-5853  : I want a computer:
: real home: Melbourne, FL     :  home line: 407-242-8619  : that does it all!:

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (07/30/90)

   Most people who have have problems with lz have their stack set too low.
The stack should be set to about 10000 & most problems will go away.

| Terry Ricketts			|  Internet: terry@helios.ucsc.edu
| Senior Electronics Engineer		|  	     loel@helios.ucsc.edu
| Lick Observatory Electronics Lab	|  Phone:    408-459-2110
| University of Calif, Santa Cruz 	|

oliphant@skorpio.USask.CA (Mike Oliphant) (08/02/90)

Yes, I've tried LZ 0.81 as well.  It is very fast, but it crashed on me when
archiving.  I've had no problems using it to extract, but others have.

--
Mike Oliphant		    UUCP: dvinci!telepro!oliphant
			Internet: oliphant@telepro.uucp

citroen@clinet.FI (Antti Tervasm{ki) (08/03/90)

>Has anyone else tried lz081? Experiences? Could someone notify the
>author? I can't 'cause he's not reachable via internet to my knowledge.
>When lz works, I'm gonna throw away lharc1.11 for good, that's for
>sure!

Yes, I have tried it and got same results. Too much GURU's!!
But I am not throwing LHArc 1.20 away! I'm very happy with it...
Antti Tervasm{ki         Asepajankatu 14           phone: +358 14 720961
citroen@clinet.FI      SF-11100 Riihim{ki          fax:   +358 14 712496
                           Finland  -