[comp.sys.amiga] various amiga questions

In <13476@cbmvax.commodore.com>, daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>     On the Amiga, I can have the environment the way I
>like it with my editor of choice, for the most part (eg, my favorite editor
>needs AREXX support to do this).

I would have said that in order to be my favourite editor, it would have to
have ARexx support. :-)

-larry

--
Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Jan.Lucenius@tel.vtt.fi (Jan Lucenius) (07/27/90)

Because lack of time and bad manuals I have to ask these questions:

1) AmigaBasic (Extras) seems to work improperly with the memory expansion;
   the edit functions do not work. With only 512 kB you can't use more than
   four (I think) colours and also otherwise 1 M is needed, so is there any
   solution to this malfunction ?

2) If you in a basic program make use of the mouse, menues etc. and during
   the program is running needs to use an other application (calculator,
   editor etc.) where you also need the mouse. How do you tell the basic
   program not to interpret the mouse buttons and movements before you again
   activate the basic window to which you return. Do the window(0) and
   /or window(1) functions help ? (What's the difference between them)

3) What is the upper limit of Amiga 500's internal memory (If my knowledge
   is right, plugging in four extra memory chips in the empty places should
   be equivalent with the 512 kB memory cards sold, in a Finnish newspaper,
   however, it said that both of them can't be used). I have however seen
   notices about 1.5 MB memory cards.

4) Is the 500 compatible with the 2000 etc. if expanded with the expansion
   board. Is there any curcuit diagram or/and description how to build that
   kind of expansion board published ? Would then the same software and
   hardware fit for the 500 as for the bigger models ?

5) Is there a CAD software for designing and calculating electronic curcuits
   for the Amiga ?

6) is there any hypercard like software for the amiga ?

7) Which compiler is best ? Do anyone have an integrated software developing
   environment like the one of the interpreting AmigaBasic or TurboC for the
   PC's ?

8) What do you need to get additional sounds for Deluxe Music ?

9) When you have only one disk drive the copying of even small files require
   a lot of disk changes, is there any other way to overcome this problem
   than to copy first to the RAM disk and then to the destination disk.

10) Can you make the disk I/O faster by addbuffers and stack commands? If so
   which is the optimum for a 1M machine ?

11) Is it possible to change the font used in WB, CLI, or in programs without
    making changes into the program itself ? How ? Well, I know there are
    font editors, but I don't know how to make use of a smaller font other
    than in text processing systems etc.

12) I bought seven PD disks (Captain Nemo or something like that). Unfortun-
    ately they have their own startup sequence and even seem to have some
    different disk format, because I have not managed to use them from a
    noramal WB or CLI environment neither vice versa. Does anyone know how
    to make use of them ? Because if you have to reboot the system, then only
    the games are "useful".

13) The disks mentioned above also was claimed to be 100% virus free, however,
    the virus detectors supported with them tells me that this would not be
    the case, and also that (at least some) of my other disks would be infec-
    ted. Shall this notice be taken seriously or is it due to the different(?)
    disk formats ? Or are the PD virus detectors of no value?

In article <5009@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi> Jan.Lucenius@tel.vtt.fi (Jan Lucenius) writes:

>4) Is the 500 compatible with the 2000 etc. if expanded with the expansion
>   board. Is there any curcuit diagram or/and description how to build that
>   kind of expansion board published ? Would then the same software and
>   hardware fit for the 500 as for the bigger models ?

The guts of the A500 are substantially the same as those of the 2000, less the
expansion bus, of course.  An expansion backplane design is given in the
Commodore publication, "A500/A2000 Technical Reference Manual".  A well
designed backplane for the A500 should run any A2000 expansion card.  It will
require its own power supply, and very careful mechanical design to make the
device ergonomic without making the bus lines too long.

>5) Is there a CAD software for designing and calculating electronic curcuits
>   for the Amiga ?

There is LogicWorks, which claims to do logic simulation.  I wasn't at all
impressed with V1.0, which is possibly useful for a High School level course
in electronics, but not practical for any useful work.  There is an updated
version that I have not tried.  For schematic capture and PCB layout, I
recommend Pro-Net and Pro-Board from Prolific, Inc.  These programs aren't
quite up to workstation standards, but they're comparable with the IBM PC
family schematic capture programs I've used for the most part.  And they have
far less trouble with memory than IBM programs.

>6) is there any hypercard like software for the amiga ?

CanDo or AmigaVision, depending on your tastes.

>7) Which compiler is best ? Do anyone have an integrated software developing
>   environment like the one of the interpreting AmigaBasic or TurboC for the
>   PC's ?

On the Amiga, you generally build an integrated environment if you want one,
but there's really no need.  I usually run with an editor and shell open on
workbench.  I save a file, then use one of the various UNIX-like "make"
programs.  If you have AREXX (standard in 2.0) and an AREXX-knowledgable text
editor, you can pretty much design an integrated environent that suits you.
There are various examples of these kinds of things out in the public domain.

The BenchMark Modula 2 compiler comes with a special version of Emacs that
gives you something more along the lines of the traditional integrated
environment, but that's really an illusion; it's using the separate pieces
available, just like any AREXX-integrated system would.  I like Emacs, so I
liked this system.  But the flaw in any integrated environment, especially
those for the PC, is that you're generally stuck with the compiler writer's
idea of a "good editor".  I could live with the BenchMark editor (though it's
not the best Emacs clone around), but I couldn't live with Lattice's LSE or
Manx's Z (a VI clone).  On the Amiga, I can have the environment the way I
like it with my editor of choice, for the most part (eg, my favorite editor
needs AREXX support to do this).

           The Dave Haynie branch of the New Zealand Fan Club

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) (08/01/90)

In article <5009@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi> Jan.Lucenius@tel.vtt.fi (Jan Lucenius) writes:

>Because lack of time and bad manuals I have to ask these questions:

>4) Is the 500 compatible with the 2000 etc. if expanded with the expansion
>   board. Is there any curcuit diagram or/and description how to build that
>   kind of expansion board published ? Would then the same software and
>   hardware fit for the 500 as for the bigger models ?

The A500, A1000 and A2000 are basically the same machine with
different expansion options.  Almost all software that will run on one
machine will work on the other.  Hardware is a different kettle of
fish (so to speak).  The A1000 and A500 expansion buses are similar
but physically reversed (take that with a pinch of salt), and the
A2000 has a similar expansion bus.  The A2000 also has several IBM-AT
and Zorro II expansion slots.

>7) Which compiler is best ? Do anyone have an integrated software developing
>   environment like the one of the interpreting AmigaBasic or TurboC for the
>   PC's ?

Really debatable.  The two Amiga C compiler publishers - Aztec and SAS
/ Lattice - have products which do that job well.  Aztec is
(supposedly) faster, but uses its own format for the libraries.
Lattice / SAS is (supposedly) slower, but uses a standard Commodore
format for its libraries.  Neither have an integrated environment like
the Borland products and are slower because the Amiga OS is such a
complex beastie compared to a standard PC-clone.  However, since the
Amiga has a multitasking system, you can choose any text processor you
like for editing your files.

On the shareware / PD front, there is PDC, Sozobon C and Matt Dillon's
DICE.

>9) When you have only one disk drive the copying of even small files require
>   a lot of disk changes, is there any other way to overcome this problem
>   than to copy first to the RAM disk and then to the destination disk.

For small files, you can either:

a. Copy the `copy' command to RAM: and tell the CLI that the RAM:
device is to be searched for commands (use PATH ADD RAM:).

b. Make `copy' resident in memory so that you can remove the system
disk (use the RESIDENT command).

>10) Can you make the disk I/O faster by addbuffers and stack commands? If so
>   which is the optimum for a 1M machine ?

Addbuffers will steal memory from CHIP RAM (graphics memory).  In
return, some memory is reserved for disk buffers.  This memory cannot
(as far as KS 1.3 was concerned) be recovered without a reboot.  A
more flexible way is to use a cache program such as FaccII.

>11) Is it possible to change the font used in WB, CLI, or in programs without
>    making changes into the program itself ? How ? Well, I know there are
>    font editors, but I don't know how to make use of a smaller font other
>    than in text processing systems etc.

There is a kludgy way which works for any program using the console
device (CLI opens a window and handles I/O with the console device).
Use setfont or fastfont to change the font.  I'm sure this works for
the normal text display, but not so sure about the menu fonts.
The Workbench 2.0 demonstration we had showed instant font changes for
the menus and workbench icons.

>12) I bought seven PD disks (Captain Nemo or something like that). Unfortun-
>    ately they have their own startup sequence and even seem to have some
>    different disk format, because I have not managed to use them from a
>    noramal WB or CLI environment neither vice versa. Does anyone know how
>    to make use of them ? Because if you have to reboot the system, then only
>    the games are "useful".

That doesn't sound like PD software to me.  You may have been cheated
into buying pirated stuff.  All PD software from the Fish Disks can be
run using Workbench and the CLI.  Many major packages can also be run
from the same setup.  Only pirates, speed freaks and defensive
software companies use proprietary disk formats.

>13) The disks mentioned above also was claimed to be 100% virus free, however,
>    the virus detectors supported with them tells me that this would not be
>    the case, and also that (at least some) of my other disks would be infec-
>    ted. Shall this notice be taken seriously or is it due to the different(?)
>    disk formats ? Or are the PD virus detectors of no value?

Many virus detectors look in the boot block of a disk to determine if
there is a virus present.  If the boot block is not a standard
AmigaDOS format, then it could be a "virus".  Some games publishers
have their own format, which would not look like a standard boot
block.

How seriously you regard this warning depends on the software and the
distributor.  If you've been conned into buying pirated software
masquerading as PD, you should report this to the authorities.  If
you've been paying more than a handling or copying fee for PD
software, then you should check if the extra money is going to the
authors of the software.

Soh, Kam Hung      email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 03 541 6403
Telecom Research Laboratories, P.O. Box 249, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (08/02/90)

In article <1989@trlluna.trl.oz> soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:

>Really debatable.  The two Amiga C compiler publishers - Aztec and SAS
>/ Lattice - have products which do that job well.  Aztec is
>(supposedly) faster, but uses its own format for the libraries.
>Lattice / SAS is (supposedly) slower, but uses a standard Commodore
>format for its libraries.  Neither have an integrated environment like
>the Borland products and are slower because the Amiga OS is such a
>complex beastie compared to a standard PC-clone.  However, since the
>Amiga has a multitasking system, you can choose any text processor you
>like for editing your files.

Lattice C v5.02 which I purchased for around $400 contains LSE, the
Lattice Screen Editor with quite a few features that make it similar
to the integrated compilers on MS-DOS.  You should also know about
ARexx, the Amiga implementation of IBM's REXX language, which can be
used to link applications with ARexx ports (like Cygnus Editor - the
most beautiful programmer's editor I have ever seen) to compilers to
form an integrated environment.  I have not done this yet, though a
friend has quite a few ARexx scripts that do just this.

>Many virus detectors look in the boot block of a disk to determine if
>there is a virus present.  If the boot block is not a standard
>AmigaDOS format, then it could be a "virus".  Some games publishers
>have their own format, which would not look like a standard boot
>block.

There are non-boot block viruses around, and you should be aware of
them.  My suggestion is to purchase a supported program, so that you can
obtain regular updates.  KDV (Kill Da Virus) is one local product that
is quite good, and Mike Hansell (the author) works almost continually on
it.  However, I must say that as Mike is a very good friend of mine, I
may be quite biased there.  You make your own decisions.

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-7420
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433

crazyrat@disk.UUCP (@jap) (08/03/90)

In article <1989@trlluna.trl.oz>, soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:
> In article <5009@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi> Jan.Lucenius@tel.vtt.fi (Jan Lucenius) writes:
> >
> >Because lack of time and bad manuals I have to ask these questions:
>
> >9) When you have only one disk drive the copying of even small files require
> >   a lot of disk changes, is there any other way to overcome this problem
> >   than to copy first to the RAM disk and then to the destination disk.
>
> b. Make `copy' resident in memory so that you can remove the system
> disk (use the RESIDENT command).

If you try this method, it is advised for you to make SURE that the pure
bit is set on the copy command.  Making anything resident is usually a hassle
especially with 1.2 or lower.

On a similar note, I'm having a few problems with the resident command and
AmigaDos (Arp) 1.2.  The problem I am having is that in my startup-sequence
I try to make a cli resident (I think this is necessary for C-Shell...Matt
Dillon thank you for a beauty!), and it becomes resident perfectly.  The
problems begin when I try to execute simple ados commands from the newcli
that is spawned after opening this initial resident one.   When I run simple
dos commands such as 'newcli' or 'newshell' or 'endcli' I get an Error 103
message (Not enuff memory).  I know this is impossible, since I have tested
this under all kinds of situations.  (I use Avail soon after and it says I
have over 300K chip and 2000K fast...ram expansions are nice)

So what could be happening?

Joel

P.S.  Some other pertinent information.  Amiga 500, with A501.  4 disk
drives (3 3.5', 1 5'1/4), 2 meg autoconfig expansion (Byte Box).  Cshell
version 4.01A.  I use the 5.25' drive as a global C directory, since all
of the c commands that I usually use won't fit on my boot disk.  All I
do is mount it as a 5.25 (df3:) and then assign C: df3:.

Thanks for the help.  Conserve bandwidth...use E-mail!  I'll post summary.

--
Joel C. Justen      Crazyrat Productions Ltd.
disc:  who cares?   CRAZYRAT@DISK.UUCP