[comp.sys.amiga] Suggestions on C & C++ books

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/24/90)

     I am an old BASIC user (back in the days of Apple II).  I have no
real experience using AmigaBasic and from what I have heard, I'm not missing
much.
     I'd like to get back in the swing of things, and I guess C or C++ is the
way to go.
     Can anybody suggest good Amiga specific and general C books from which
I can learn from scratch.  (I'd prefer them to be strong on the tutorial
aspect).
                                     Thanks, Jason

amiga@diku.dk (Flemming Andreassen) (07/24/90)

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>     I am an old BASIC user (back in the days of Apple II).  I have no
>real experience using AmigaBasic and from what I have heard, I'm not missing
>much.
>     I'd like to get back in the swing of things, and I guess C or C++ is the
>way to go.
>     Can anybody suggest good Amiga specific and general C books from which
>I can learn from scratch.  (I'd prefer them to be strong on the tutorial
>aspect).
>                                     Thanks, Jason

Well...the best suggestion I can give is Kernigan & Ritchie...

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (07/25/90)

[request for beginner C books deleted]

You're best bet is to get Amiga C For Beginners, from Abacus, The Waite
Group's New C Primer Plus (general, and a great book!), and Programmer's
Guide To the Amiga, by Rob Peck (we miss ya, Rob!).  The Abacus book will
serve to get you started, the Waite Group's book will give you a more in-
depth coverage, and Peck's book will give you an idea how the Amiga routines
and functions work...  You'll also need the Rom Kernal Manual, Libraries and
Devices, if you plan on doing anything serious... this also has a very
tutorial flavor to it, and the source code in the book is available in the
public domain, so you don't have to type it in.

/********************************************************************
 *      All of the above copyright by the below.                    *
 * Bill Cavanaugh       uunet!tronsbox!bleys                        *
 *  "You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever."  *
 *              Larry Anderson                                      *
 ********************************************************************/

n8643084@unicorn.WWU.EDU (owings matthew) (07/26/90)

	Could someone please tell me where the RKM:L&D source is located, if
it is indeed available in the public domain.
	Matt Owings.

amiga@diku.dk (Flemming Andreassen) writes:

>jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>>     Can anybody suggest good Amiga specific and general C books from which
>>I can learn from scratch.  (I'd prefer them to be strong on the tutorial
>>aspect).
>>                                     Thanks, Jason

>Well...the best suggestion I can give is Kernigan & Ritchie...

Well K&R is great if you are trying to learn generic C on a mainframe.
But if you are trying to learn C on the Amiga, it sucks eggs.

I was trying to learn C (I gave up, lost interest after much frustration)
on the amiga and I got lost trying to figure out all the structures used to
open and control windows, do graphics and sound, use intuition. I learned to
write very basic C programs that just ran in a CLI window and did no
screen addressing, but K&R did not help one bit to learn how to get access
to the features of my amiga.

Personally, I don't think there ARE any good books out there on how to
program the Amiga in C for beginners.

I have looked around and found two FAIR books (not good by a long shot).
I can't remember their exact titles right now because it's been about
a year since I gave up in disgust. One is published by Sams books
called something like 'Programming the Amiga in C' and the other is
by Abacus (I think) called 'Amiga C for Beginners' or something close
to that.

What is really needed is a good book (or a series) that takes you from
absolute beginner up to advanced, using examples in Lattice AND Manx C
(the two most popular Amiga C compilers), specifically written for
AMIGA's.

--
John Sparks         |                                 | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 2400bps.
sparks@corpane.UUCP |                                 | PH: (502) 968-DISK

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/03/90)

>amiga@diku.dk (Flemming Andreassen) writes:
>
>     Can anybody suggest good Amiga specific and general C books from which
>I can learn from scratch.  (I'd prefer them to be strong on the tutorial
>aspect).

I recommend "Inside the Amiga with C"  by the Waite Group.  It's a good
tutorial-oriented C book taught from the Amiga point of view.  The
author is an old hand at C who is also dedicated to the Amiga.  Nice.

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||