[comp.sys.amiga] Printing on a Laserprinter

jol@sei.cmu.edu (Jun Lee) (07/26/90)

Hi, Everyone.

I need some answers and I'm hoping you netters can provide me with it.
This is what I would like to do:

	I would like to print some pictures that I've scaned
	using Digiview Gold then polished up with DPaint III on a
	LaserwriterII at work.  We have SUN 3's and Macs( SE, II, Pluses)
	hooked up to the Laserwriters at work.  I figured what I have to do
	is upload the pictures to one of the machines at work( either Macs,
	or SUN 3's) then use some kind of filter to print it correctly
	on the Laserprinters.  Now my question is, what special software
	do I need and where can I get it. Is there anything PD?

Any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

 ThanX
 JUN LEE								   //
                \/\/\_/\_8>                                           \\  //
 jol@sei.cmu.edu                                                       \X/
 (412) 268-7602  "If it weren't for the disappointments in my life,
                  I would not have any appointments at all" _ND

koshy@abekrd.UUCP (Koshy Abraham) (07/27/90)

In <8001@fy.sei.cmu.edu> jol@sei.cmu.edu (Jun Lee) writes:

>Hi, Everyone.

>I need some answers and I'm hoping you netters can provide me with it.
>This is what I would like to do:

>	I would like to print some pictures that I've scaned
>	using Digiview Gold then polished up with DPaint III on a
>	LaserwriterII at work.  We have SUN 3's and Macs( SE, II, Pluses)
>	hooked up to the Laserwriters at work.  I figured what I have to do
>	is upload the pictures to one of the machines at work( either Macs,
>	or SUN 3's) then use some kind of filter to print it correctly
>	on the Laserprinters.  Now my question is, what special software
>	do I need and where can I get it. Is there anything PD?

I have done this from a workstation st work on to a HP Laserjet II.
This is what you need to do:

	1. Set preferences for the printer you want to use.
	2. Load DPaint (or whatever) with the required picture.
	3. Start a program called CMD - you should find this on the Extras disk
	   (This redirects printing to RAM:).
	4. Now start printing your file from DPaint. The output will be sent
	   to a file in RAM: (can't remember the name).
	5. Here you have to find a way of getting the file to your SUN 3 or
	   Mac. I normally save the file to a PC disk using CrossDOS and then
	   read it at work onto a PC and then copy it to my workstation over
	   the net.
	6. Now assuming you have the file on you machine at work, you can
	   print it by just sending the file to the printer as you would with
	   a normal text file. The file created by CMD should set the printer
	   to graphics mode for you.

Thats it.

--
Koshy Abraham                UUCP: ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!pyrltd!abekrd!koshy
Abekas Video Systems Ltd.     NET: koshy@abekrd.co.uk       //

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (07/31/90)

In article <1355@abekrd.UUCP>, koshy@abekrd.UUCP (Koshy Abraham) writes:
> In <8001@fy.sei.cmu.edu> jol@sei.cmu.edu (Jun Lee) writes:
>>I need some answers and I'm hoping you netters can provide me with it.
>>This is what I would like to do:
>
>>	I would like to print some pictures that I've scaned
>>	using Digiview Gold then polished up with DPaint III on a
>>	LaserwriterII at work.  We have SUN 3's and Macs( SE, II, Pluses)
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Er, that speaks PostScript, doesn't it?

> I have done this from a workstation st work on to a HP Laserjet II.
> This is what you need to do:

He said LaserWriter II, not LaserJet.  LaserWriters use Postscript.  Your
methodology would work fine for a LaserJet, but the data fild would have to
be processed with PrintScript or whatever to make it PostScript code that
the LaserWriter II groks.

>> ThanX
>>================================================================================
>> JUN LEE								   //

> Koshy Abraham                UUCP: ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!pyrltd!abekrd!koshy

[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction."

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (08/03/90)

In article <3779@tmiuv0.uucp> rick@tmiuv0.uucp writes:

>He said LaserWriter II, not LaserJet.  LaserWriters use Postscript.  Your
>methodology would work fine for a LaserJet, but the data fild would have to
>be processed with PrintScript or whatever to make it PostScript code that
>the LaserWriter II groks.

Almost all implementations of Postscript in printers feature other
emulations, usually written largely in Postscript themselves.
I have just consulted my Adobe pamphlet on Postscript devices, and it
tells me that the LaserWriter II NTX supports HPLJ+ and Diablo 630
emulations, whilst the LaserWriter II only has Diablo.

In my experience, these emulations can handle bitmaps and simple text
quite well (albeit slowly), but die if anything more complex is issued.
Anyway, I've always thought that running HPGL in a Postscript printer
is a vaguely insulting thing to do to such a nice PDL :).

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-7420
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433