[comp.sys.amiga] Floppy Drives

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (11/04/89)

I am planning to purchase a second floppy for my NEW 2000.  Also, I will
be adding a second external floppy to my old 1000 (giving to my niece).
I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, or experiences with the
various floppy disks available today.

Email you comments to me and I will post the results if anyone wants to
see them.

Thanks ahead of time.

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 772-2497

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (11/06/89)

:
:Email you comments to me and I will post the results if anyone wants to
:see them.
:
:Thanks ahead of time.
:
:
:--
:Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil
:MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 772-2497
:MY opinion!

I, too, am in need of an internal floppy for my A2000 (the original finally
gave out).  I have seen the Chinon drive at Abel Supply for $71, but don't
know if it meets these criteria:

1.  MUST be the exact same color as my A2000.
2.  Must have a door on the front (dust killed my previous drive)
3.  Must be a good, solid ,preferably quiet drive

Are there any that meet these criteria?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Joel

casebolt%esdc.span@fedex.msfc.nasa.gov (11/09/89)

From:	FEDEX::"amiga-relay-request@louie.udel.edu"  6-NOV-1989 06:20:23.84
To:	ESDC$SPAN::CASEBOLT
CC:
Subj:	Re: Floppy drives

From: Joel Swan <swan@jolnet.orpk.il.us>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: Floppy drives
Date: 6 Nov 89 07:29:03 GMT
To:       amiga-relay@udel.edu
Sender:   amiga-relay-request@udel.edu

[...]

I purchased the Chinon Drive from Abel supply in Sevierville Tennessee.
drive worked fine, has a door on it, and was around $72.00. HOWEVER!!! Some
people have had problems with ABEL Supply. The only problem I have had was they
did not send any installation manuals with the drive so I had to wing it! There
was mounting screws but no standoffs to mount the drive.. I called and they
told me they would send them to me ASAP and I'm still waiting....
The CHINON drive works good though.... GOOD LUCK!

Richard Casebolt
BCSS MSFC, ALABAMA
205-544-2966

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (11/09/89)

From article <2020@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US>, by swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan):
>  I have seen the Chinon drive at Abel Supply for $71, but don't
> know if it meets these criteria:

I just installed two of these drives in my A2000 last night. Abel Supply
took just 6 days to deliver them (UPS ground).

> 1.  MUST be the exact same color as my A2000.

No. Close, but it's not a perfect match. The Chinon is a bit lighter
than the 2000. It's also a bit more gray compared to the 2000's brownish
shade. I'd prefer a closer match, but I can live with it. (Besides, it
looks a whole lot better than the two 1" high (the drive opening is
1.25" high) drives with black faceplates I just replaced. :-)

> 2.  Must have a door on the front (dust killed my previous drive)

Yes, and it looks like the door seals good as well. The faceplate looks
nice too, much better than the drive that came with my 2000.

> 3.  Must be a good, solid ,preferably quiet drive

I've only had them installed for 12 hours, but it looks good so far. The
Chinon is quiet, can be silenced with a no-click program (SetCPU
w/patches, in my case), and the LED lights with motor_on, as it should.
I've seen quite a few third party floppies that light the LED with drive
select, or the step signal, and I was half expecting to have to rewire
this one myself. It was a pleasant surprise to see the LED light
steadily, instead of flashing. Oh yea, the LED is amber, not red.

The drive itself does look solid and well built. One odd thing, there
are only drive select jumpers for 0 and 1, but there are pads on the PCB
for 2 and 3. For an A2000 this doesn't matter though. The drives came
packaged with mounting screws and standoffs, and a jumper block for the
df1: enable jumper on the 2000's motherboard. And there was a two sheet
set of installation instructions too.

If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask.

	Blaine

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

hakimian%cs2.cs.WSU.EDU@cs2.cs.wsu.edu (03/16/90)

I did a dumb thing this weekend. While I was trying to track down a problem
with my floppy drives, I accidently plugged in df1: with the connector
off by one. Now my floppy does not detect the removal or insertion of disks.

Where can I find the pin outs for an internal floppy drive? I would like to
know what I broke and if it can be fixed (cheap).

The reason I started this mess was because my df0: drive does not work
reliably when df1: is connected to the system. If I remove the cabel from
df1: it still shows up, but as an unreadable disk. If I remove the cabel from
df0: it still shows up, but again as an unreadable disk. My first thought
was that I had a bad cabel, but I have not been able to find anything wrong
with it. Also when I access df1:, df0: will spin! Help, what can I do?

Please reply email unless you think that others might be interested.

hakimian@cs2.cs.wsu.edu

tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (08/03/90)

I've heard that some IBM type floppy drives will work in as Amiga
drives  because they have the disk change sensing hardware.  Does
anyone know which IBM type drives will work?  Failing this,  does
anybody  out  there  have  an  internal 3.5" drive they'd like to
sell, cheap?

* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga      /// *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (if only Commodore ///  *
*                              *   knew that)   \\\///   *

QUIT