[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 500 re-booting

snovell@wam.umd.edu (Scott J. Novell) (07/31/90)

I just recently got an Amiga 500 after having had an Amiga 1000.  My question
is this:
  When you hit ctrl-A-A to reboot the machine, does that wipe out everything
in memory, or like in the case of a RAD: disk in memory, does it leave some
of the memory untouched?  The reason I ask is if I ever encounter a floppy
disk with a virus on it (has happened twice before on my 1000), will rebooting
the machine wipe the virus out of memory or do I have to turn the machine
completely off to expunge it?
Thanks for any help.

snovell@cscwam.umd.edu

In <1990Jul30.213442.28133@wam.umd.edu>, snovell@wam.umd.edu (Scott J. Novell) writes:
>I just recently got an Amiga 500 after having had an Amiga 1000.  My question
>is this:
>  When you hit ctrl-A-A to reboot the machine, does that wipe out everything
>in memory, or like in the case of a RAD: disk in memory, does it leave some
>of the memory untouched?  The reason I ask is if I ever encounter a floppy
>disk with a virus on it (has happened twice before on my 1000), will rebooting
>the machine wipe the virus out of memory or do I have to turn the machine
>completely off to expunge it?
>Thanks for any help.

By their very nature, viruses are programs that hang around, either by
attaching themselves to some program that is stored on your disk, or by making
themselves immune to resets. If you suspect a virus, assume that until you have
found and eradicated it, that it is still there, regardless of resets.

-larry

--
Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

mlelias@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Mike Elias (Mighty Amigo) Systems Analysis) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul30.213442.28133@wam.umd.edu>, snovell@wam.umd.edu (Scott J. Novell) writes:
> I just recently got an Amiga 500 after having had an Amiga 1000.  My question
> is this:
>   When you hit ctrl-A-A to reboot the machine, does that wipe out everything
> in memory, or like in the case of a RAD: disk in memory, does it leave some
> of the memory untouched?  The reason I ask is if I ever encounter a floppy
> disk with a virus on it (has happened twice before on my 1000), will rebooting
> the machine wipe the virus out of memory or do I have to turn the machine
> completely off to expunge it?
> Thanks for any help.

	I've owned an A500 for a few years now, and I have had a couple of
virus's.  The one's I've had (can't remember their names)  DO stay in memory
during a warm-boot.  So, yes, you do need to turn the machine off to clear the
memory.

	BTW, RAD: files also stay in memory during a warm-boot.

> snovell@cscwam.umd.edu
This universe never did make sense. | Mike Elias (Mighty Amigo)
I think it was made on a government | Mlelias@Miavx1.Bitnet
contract...                         | Miami University of Oxford, Oh.
If you want My opinion, I thinKA-BLAMM!!....

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/04/90)

In article <1997.26b568ac@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, mlelias@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu
(Mike Elias (Mighty Amigo) Systems Analysis) says:

>In article <1990Jul30.213442.28133@wam.umd.edu>, snovell@wam.umd.edu (Scott J.
>Novell) writes:
>>   When you hit ctrl-A-A to reboot the machine, does that wipe out everything
>> in memory, or like in the case of a RAD: disk in memory, does it leave some
>> of the memory untouched?
>> Do I have to turn the machine completely off to expunge it?
>
>So, yes, you do need to turn the machine off to clear the memory.

A MUCH better alternative to turning your machine off and on again
is the program FULLRESET on Fish 283.  It is specifically designed to
wipe out memory where viruses would reside, and will save your machine
the wear and tear that the power-up surge brings.

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||