[comp.sys.amiga] Purchasing an Amiga

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (07/26/90)

Hello All,

  I am an Atari ST owner, and while I am very happy with it, I am toying
with the idea of purchasing an Amiga.  First, however, I would like to
hear comments from the users on the subject.  I use my computer for
Desktop publishing, word processing, telecommunications, and a bit of
programming.  What kind of Amiga would you suggest?  How is the
support? Expandability?  PRICE? Where is Commodore going with the Amiga?
I want to hear from the doomsayers and the cheerleaders here.  How
about software availability in the areas I have listed?

Thanks...

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no

pomeroy@refine.enet.dec.com (Robert Pomeroy) (07/27/90)

In article <23971@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) writes...
>  I am an Atari ST owner, and while I am very happy with it, I am toying
>with the idea of purchasing an Amiga.  First, however, I would like to
>hear comments from the users on the subject.  I use my computer for
>Desktop publishing, word processing, telecommunications, and a bit of
>programming.  What kind of Amiga would you suggest?  How is the
>support? Expandability?  PRICE? Where is Commodore going with the Amiga?
>I want to hear from the doomsayers and the cheerleaders here.  How
>about software availability in the areas I have listed?
>
>*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no

Chris,

	I was once an Atari 1040ST owner, and then I discovered Amiga.
I liked my ST, I used it for word processing and telecommunications.
(also, games, paint programs, PD programs...) When I got to college,
my roommate had an Amiga 1000. I was quite impressed and perhaps even
somewhat ashamed of my low power, single task ST. I bought his 1000
when he traded up, and just last week I bought an Amiga 3000 with
6 megs of memory. I cannot begin to tell you how much happier I am
with an Amiga. The software is more powerful, the machine itself is
more powerful. Customer support is far better for the Amiga, esp.
since it is basically gone for the ST in the US. You would
probably be happy with a 500, 1 meg (standard) and an extra floppy
or a hard drive. But, if you have money lying around, the bigger
the better. If you can get a 3000 on an educational deal, go for it.
The more powerful the computer is, the more likely you are to use it
and be happy with it.

bob pomeroy
pomeroy@refine.enet.dec.com

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (08/02/90)

In article <13928@shlump.nac.dec.com> pomeroy@refine.enet.dec.com (Robert Pomeroy) writes:
>In article <23971@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) writes...
>>  I am an Atari ST owner, and while I am very happy with it, I am toying
>>with the idea of purchasing an Amiga.  First, however, I would like to
>>hear comments from the users on the subject.
>
> Chris,
>
>	I was once an Atari 1040ST owner, and then I discovered Amiga.

Interesting.  I'm (still) a 520ST owner.  I've long since given up any
hope of ever again seeing Atari do anything intelligent in the U.S.
personal computer market, but my current budget doesn't allow for buying
a replacement.  The A3000 is definitely an attractive machine, especially
at the Edu Discount...

But I digress.  I've heard of plenty of Atari owners hopping onto the
Amiga (and IBM and Mac and...) bandwagon.  Has *anyone* ever heard of
*ANYONE* who's ever gone the other direction?  Bought an Amiga, and
been sufficiently dissatisfied/unimpressed to buy an ST?  (Chris Roth,
you may want to fold this little factoid into your decision...)
--
   >>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<<     | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
"Spontaneous human combustion - what luck!"| Apollo Computer (Hewlett-Packard)

kukulski@athena.mit.edu (Timothy W Kukulski) (08/03/90)

A guy I used to work for (at Micro World, an Amiga Dealer in Metro Detroit)
bought an ST because there were more games for it...

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (08/04/90)

In article <4bf59aed.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:
=
=But I digress.  I've heard of plenty of Atari owners hopping onto the
=Amiga (and IBM and Mac and...) bandwagon.  Has *anyone* ever heard of
=*ANYONE* who's ever gone the other direction?  Bought an Amiga, and
=been sufficiently dissatisfied/unimpressed to buy an ST?  ...

Jim Kent, (Amiga) Animator author did this.  Was even seen on Computer
Chronicles TV show belittling the Amiga in favor of his ST.  Poor boy...

-scott