[comp.sys.amiga] A Tale of Three Hard Drives ---- Amiga 500/Subsystem

Steve.Hoult@f39.n228.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Steve Hoult) (07/28/90)

AREA:UUCP_AMIGA
       [Lots of stuff about various cards not working DELETED]

JN> So, here's the bottom line.  After months of being a fan of the SubSyst
JN> I have to recommend against it now.  For me, it was a very expensive wa
JN> to just add a couple of meg to the 500.  If I had to do it all over aga
JN> I'd just go with an A590-type setup in the first place, and to hell wit
JN> an A2000 upgrade path.  It sounds good in theory, but it's just not rob
JN> enough.
JN> --
JN> Jim Northrup                                               northrup@wpi
JN> Assistant Professor, Mathematical Sciences             WPI, Worcester M

I have similar problems with my ToolBox (actually a Phoenix Expansion
Chassis, but I understand they are the same) but to a lesser degree. I
had been unable to use the GVP (original) hardcard, Kronos or HardFrame
controllers. It WILL work with any of CBM's SCSI cards though. It won't
work with the Supra 2400zi internal modem or the ASDG Dual Serial Port
board or Checkpoint Serial Solution. I have heard that it needs a -12v
supply hooked to it to work with either multi-serial board and I will
try this the next opprotunity I get.

All in all, I'm mostly happy with my chassis. It is alot of trial and
error though. I think the makers/designers should print a list of cards
they have tested and worked as well as a list if cards that absolutely
DON'T work. I've spent a year now doing the testing on my own.....

AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway |Steve Hoult - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
    1:110/300 Dayton, Ohio     |UUCP: afitamy!228!39!Steve.Hoult
        (513)-252-7681         |ARPA: Steve.Hoult@f39.n228.z1.FIDONET.ORG

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (08/05/90)

>In article <287.26B3D772@afitamy.fidonet.org> Steve.Hoult@f39.n228.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Steve Hoult) writes:
>AREA:UUCP_AMIGA
>       [Lots of stuff about various cards not working DELETED]
>
>JN> So, here's the bottom line.  After months of being a fan of the SubSyst
>JN> I have to recommend against it now.  For me, it was a very expensive wa
>JN> to just add a couple of meg to the 500.  If I had to do it all over aga
>JN> I'd just go with an A590-type setup in the first place, and to hell wit
>JN> an A2000 upgrade path.  It sounds good in theory, but it's just not rob
>JN> enough.

I had problems setting up my A-500 with a subsystem chassis too. The main
problem is (I found out later) the wimpy power supply that they supply to
power the beast. I have been running a 2052 2 Meg Ram expansion and a GVP
hardcard (with the drive removed via cabling to an external box) for the last
year with absolutely no problems. That is *AFTER* I hooked up a beefier power
supply to the subsystem.

--
 (ames att sun)!pacbell! ----> sactoh0!pacengr!americ!erk     Multitasking,