[comp.sys.amiga] "Color Printer?"

tqhoang@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Toan Q. Hoang) (08/03/90)

I have a question about color printer.  Which Inkjet printer is better to get.
A HP Paint Jet or Xerox 4020.  Anybody had experience with these printer can
tell me?  Like how much is ink cartridge cost and how fast is it used up.
And maybe, which one will produce better graphics.

Thanks,
Toan.

vincelee@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Vincent H. Lee) (08/06/90)

In article <53062@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> tqhoang@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Toan Q. Hoang) writes:
>I have a question about color printer.  Which Inkjet printer is better to get.
>A HP Paint Jet or Xerox 4020.  Anybody had experience with these printer can
>tell me?  Like how much is ink cartridge cost and how fast is it used up.
>And maybe, which one will produce better graphics.
>
>Thanks,
>Toan.

I prefer the HP Paintjet.  It has higher resolution than the 4020 (180 as
opposed to 120) which makes it mor suitable for desktop publishing.  The
4020 does have a 240dpi mode which has the restriction of not allowing
neighboring pixels.  Unfortunately, this restriction makes it unsuitable for
most purposes, and the Amiga driver won't use it.  Additionally, the dot size
is designed for 120dpi.

The Paintjet is also much faster than the 4020, as the 4020 draws one pixel
row at a time.  This makes the 4020 completely unsuitable as a text printer.

I don't believe the 4020 has a tractor feed.

The 4020 goes thru a cleaning cycle whenever you turn it on or off.  Thus,
you can't turn on or off the printer with a power strip, and you always have
to wait a few minutes even to print a small file.  The paintjet does not
need cleaning, as the print modules contain the print mechanisms, and the
ink is non-clogging.

Lastly, there is one drawback to the Paintjet.  Ink cartridges are expensive
and cannot be refilled (i've tried).  4020 cartridges run out quickly, but
can be refilled without clogging due to the 4020's cleaning process.

--vince
.