[comp.sys.amiga] VD0: problems

detert@lognet2.af.mil (CMS David K. Detert) (10/09/89)

A while back I remember seeing a thread about problems using the VD0:
that was posted here on the net (also a while back).  Anyway, a friend
would like to use the latest version and I didn't keep any of the answers
to the various problems.  If someone remembers what I am referring to
and has the thread or knows the things that need to be done, changed,
whatever, please email them to me.  As always, thanks in advance.  Dave

CMSgt David K Detert, USAF      MILNet:  detert@lognet2.af.mil

BTW.  What HAS happened to Bob Page and the binaries group?  Is he just
up to his eyeballs in work or is something more serious wrong?

strasser@grasp.cis.upenn.edu (Colin Strasser) (10/10/89)

In article <1122@nigel.udel.EDU> detert@lognet2.af.mil (CMS David K. Detert)
writes:

> A while back I remember seeing a thread about problems using the VD0:
> that was posted here on the net (also a while back).  Anyway, a friend
> would like to use the latest version and I didn't keep any of the answers
> to the various problems...

There never WAS a resolution to this, was there?  I too have (what I think is)
the newest VD0: and cannot get it to operate.  It'll mount, but it won't
recognize the device driver (DEVS:asdg.vdisk.device, I think) no matter how
I try to finagle the mountlist entry.

I tore my hair out for a couple nights and finally went back to ol' RAD: and
RAM: -- if it matters, I'm using a stock 2000 with a 1010 drive and ARP.

> CMSgt David K Detert, USAF      MILNet:  detert@lognet2.af.mil

Colin Strasser	strasser@grasp.cis.upenn.edu
CI$: 72447,1650

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (10/10/89)

In article <15283@netnews.upenn.edu> strasser@grasp.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP (Colin Strasser) writes:
>There never WAS a resolution to this, was there?  I too have (what I think is)
>the newest VD0: and cannot get it to operate.  It'll mount, but it won't
>recognize the device driver (DEVS:asdg.vdisk.device, I think) no matter how
>I try to finagle the mountlist entry.

I gave up on it based on problem I was having with the 512K of slow-fast
RAM on the 2000 and how rebooting overwrites part of it.  There was something
I could do to make it not happen, I believe it was to not do a FastMemFirst,
but I wanted to do one, because otherwise the thing was mallocing the first
512K of fast RAM from the DMA-slowed fast RAM, rather than the good stuff.

Anyway, I use RAD: now, but I sure did like having a RAM disk that grew on the
fly.

Oh yeah, there was a hack in VD0 so you could only have a 2 MB VD0 unless
you had an ASDG memory board, in which case the limit was 8 or something.
(I did ultimately get one, an 8MI, which has served well.)
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that
-- 			 flags do not wave in a vacuum."  -- Arthur C. Clarke

borgen@sfd.uit.no (Borge Nost) (07/26/90)

I can't get VD0: to work. It mounts without complaints, and doublemounting
it says that it's already mounted. All access to VD0: results in an error
message. Please email help.

Thanksalot
--
|//// ______________ don't use R/r(eply)! *mail* me ______________ \\\\|
|///  ...and then there was AMIGA...				    \\\|

ked01@ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (07/30/90)

In article <1990Jul25.174129.2557@hod.uit.no> borgen@sfd.uit.no (Borge Nost) writes:
> I can't get VD0: to work. It mounts without complaints, and doublemounting
> it says that it's already mounted. All access to VD0: results in an error
> message. Please email help.

No this isn't email, and I don't have an answer to your problem, but ...

Is this under 2.0?  I have heard vd0: doesn't work under it.  Can anyone
confirm/deny this?  And what about ASDG's FaccII ... is it OK under 2.0?

Perry?  Anyone?

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@uts.amdahl.com   -OR-   ked01@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (07/31/90)

From article <1990Jul25.174129.2557@hod.uit.no>, by borgen@sfd.uit.no (Borge Nost):
> I can't get VD0: to work. It mounts without complaints, and doublemounting
> it says that it's already mounted. All access to VD0: results in an error
> message. Please email help.

There are two versions of VD0 around, the original one from ASDG, and
an a later one that was a souped up assembler version based on a
dissassembly of the original.  This later one doesn't always work on
every machine, I don't know why.  Perry K. (original author) said that
this later one might not work on all machines, and he was right.  Works
on most though.

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz.au!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (08/02/90)

From article <c3IE02WD01r.01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>, by ked01@ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn):
> Is this under 2.0?  I have heard vd0: doesn't work under it.  Can anyone
> confirm/deny this?  And what about ASDG's FaccII ... is it OK under 2.0?
>
> Perry?  Anyone?

I've used VD0: on 2.0.  I found that it interacts with the delayed
screen/window opening of 2.0, but otherwise works fine (RAD: doesn't
survive the reboot, the docos say).  This just means that you have to
delay firing it up until after iprefs is run, so I can't pull my
favourite stunt of removing RAM: and then assigning RAM: to VD0:!
I'm not sure which version of VD0: it is - the original or the non-Perry
assembler mod - I will chase it up in due course.

This was on a 2000 using the kickit method.

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz.au!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

jdickson@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (08/02/90)

	Would someone please tell me what ASDG's VD0: is.

				thanxs, Jeff

joseph@valnet (Joseph Hillenburg) (08/03/90)

jdickson@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:

> 	Would someone please tell me what ASDG's VD0: is.
>
> 				thanxs, Jeff

VD0L Is a recoverable ram disk similar to RAD: If you need to know about
RAD:, read the AmigaDOS 1.3 Emhancer Manual. The major differences
between RAD: and VD0: is that you can boot from RAD:, and VD0: can get
larger or smaller according to what it contains. If you want, tell me,
and I will send you a uuencoded archive containing VD0:.

-Joseph Hillenburg
InterNet: joseph@valnet                         UUCP: iuvax!valnet!joseph
PC-Link: Joe Hillenburg             Most other systems: Joseph Hillenburg
Don't buy a computer unless it's an Amiga - Me - AMIGA RULES! - AMIGA RUL

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (08/04/90)

In article <c3IE02WD01r.01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> ked01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

>In article <1990Jul25.174129.2557@hod.uit.no> borgen@sfd.uit.no (Borge Nost) writes:
>> I can't get VD0: to work. It mounts without complaints, and doublemounting
>> it says that it's already mounted. All access to VD0: results in an error
>> message. Please email help.
>
>No this isn't email, and I don't have an answer to your problem, but ...
>
>Is this under 2.0?  I have heard vd0: doesn't work under it.  Can anyone
>confirm/deny this?  And what about ASDG's FaccII ... is it OK under 2.0?
>
>Perry?  Anyone?

I have not tried my version of the ASDG RRD under 2.0. Spoiled with
all the hard drives we have around here, I guess.

I suspect that the prediction made to me by Bryce Nesbitt a little
more than a month after he joined Commodore (``You know, we'll have
to break the way the RRD allocates memory someday'') has finally
come to pass.

However, please make sure that you weren't running the 2K version
of the RRD which was NOT WRITTEN BY US and is known to be much less
understanding of wierd memory types than our version.

The 2K version was an unauthorised dissassembly and ``optimization''
of my original C code. While it was a good effort, some new ``features''
have evidently crept it.

If in doubt - seek Fish Disk 59.

pk

Also, the RRD is completely PD now - don't send me anymore money! :-)

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

borgen@sfd.uit.no (Borge Nost) (08/06/90)

In article <1453@madnix.UUCP> perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) writes:
>In article <c3IE02WD01r.01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> ked01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>>
>>In article <1990Jul25.174129.2557@hod.uit.no> borgen@sfd.uit.no (Borge Nost) writes:
>>> I can't get VD0: to work. It mounts without complaints, and doublemounting
>>
>>Is this under 2.0?  I have heard vd0: doesn't work under it.  Can anyone
>>confirm/deny this?  And what about ASDG's FaccII ... is it OK under 2.0?
>>
>>Perry?  Anyone?
>
>I have not tried my version of the ASDG RRD under 2.0. Spoiled with
>all the hard drives we have around here, I guess.

	No, no, no. No 2.0 at all, just B2000 rev4.1 KS1.2 WB1.3.2

(Perry says there is a version of VD0: not made by him)

>If in doubt - seek Fish Disk 59.

	Thank you, I'll try that one.