[comp.sys.amiga] Why doesn't RETURN repeat?

wille@frith.msu.edu (Jeffrey Wille) (08/05/90)

Why do all the keys repeat except for the RETURN?

				Robert Wille (rbw@spock.byu.edu)

You can measure a programmer's perspective by noting his attitude on
the continuing viability of Fortran.
		-- Alan Perlis

lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (08/06/90)

In article <1990Aug4.191910.27922@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> wille@frith.msu.edu (Jeffrey Wille) writes:
>Why do all the keys repeat except for the RETURN?

I don't know, but escape doesn't either.
I think it's a design decision made by commodore (i.e. they think it's a
feature instead of a bug).
I guess they think there are more times that you want RETURN _not_ to repeat
than otherwise.

At any rate, if you want a repeating return, use Ctrl-M instead of the
RETURN key.  If you want a repeating escape, use Ctrl-[.

>				Robert Wille (rbw@spock.byu.edu)
>
>You can measure a programmer's perspective by noting his attitude on
>the continuing viability of Fortran.
>		-- Alan Perlis

"The machine minded material man                    Logan Shaw
 desperately dreams of a brand new sedan.           lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
 Wlll he expect long lasting gain                   ========================
 from a toy that will race then rust in the rain?" - elim Hall, Things Break

eric@cbmvax.commodore.com (Eric Cotton) (08/06/90)

In article <1990Aug4.191910.27922@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> wille@frith.msu.edu (Jeffrey Wille) writes:
>Why do all the keys repeat except for the RETURN?

The RETURN key is but one of many keys that do not repeat.  The keys are all
under program control so it is possible to selectively assign repeat to to
specific keys.  Deciding which should repeat and which should not was a design
decision based on tradition in the PC world and practicality.  It is possible
to create a new keymap with repeat enabled for the return key.  See the RKM
Reference Manual: Libraries and Devices for details.
--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100

navas@sim.uucp (David C. Navas) (08/06/90)

In article <35206@ut-emx.UUCP> lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) writes:
>In article <1990Aug4.191910.27922@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> wille@frith.msu.edu (Jeffrey Wille) writes:
>>Why do all the keys repeat except for the RETURN?
>
>I don't know, but escape doesn't either.

I believe key repeating is handled by the input handler and is user-customizable
via keymaps.

CSA.tech would possibly be a better place to get answers to this question.

David Navas                                   navas@sim.berkeley.edu
"Excuse my ignorance, but I've been run over by my train of thought."  -me

w-stephm@microsoft.UUCP (Stephan MUELLER) (08/07/90)

%
%I don't know, but escape doesn't either.
%I think it's a design decision made by commodore (i.e. they think it's a
%feature instead of a bug).
%I guess they think there are more times that you want RETURN _not_ to repeat
%than otherwise.
%
%At any rate, if you want a repeating return, use Ctrl-M instead of the
%RETURN key.  If you want a repeating escape, use Ctrl-[.

Which keys repeat and which don't is a function of the keymap, I
believe.  With a good keymap editor, you should be able to specify
the behaviour of any key on the keyboard.  If you have anything but
an A1000, you probably load a keymap in your startup-sequence anyway,
to get access to the grey keys on your numeric keypad.  Modify this
keymap using EdiMap or some other such tools which is found on (you
guessed it) some Fish Disk.

stephan("not to be taken as gospel");