[comp.sys.amiga] telecommunications

spencer@well.UUCP (Randal Spencer) (11/17/86)

As far as all this talk about vt100 goes, I use it all the time, but I
would really like a more professional Kermit like interface.  Say
maybe do honest wild card sends.  I have used Kermit for every
computer I can lay my hands on and VT100 is really pushing the bottom
of the limit as far as sophisticated Kermit file transfer protocol
goes.  Well, if it was supposed to be Kermit it would be called
Kermit.  It is called VT100, the most sophisticated TERMINAL program
for the Amiga.  And as far as Kermit for the Amiga goes I would kind
of like a more Mac Kermit like interface, without getting rid of the
nice command line option.  Amiga Kermit is more sophisticated than Mac
Kermit but I see the Amiga as being able to have the Best
telecommunication program ever!  Anybody heard of Project Victoria?
Or what is that, "uw" for the Mac with the multiple windows onto Unix?
How about using Matt's asyncronis (it's late) disk writes to not slow
down file transfers and session logging. Or just sliding windows
implimented on a Kermit for one of my machines!  I like the Mac
version because it opens dialog boxes for file transfers and such.
It's alot prettier than Amiga Kermit.

I am not saying that I want Mac Kermit for my Amiga, I love the fact
that I can call Amiga Kermit as a command line.  That is one of it's
many attractions over VT100 2.2.  Jack Rouse did a wonderful job.  He
is one of the members of the Software Distillery in NC.  The Blink
people (which still beats Alink, at least on the stuff I have tried
since I got gamma).  Someone recently was saying that they had found
the sources for Amiga Kermit.  I think that Jack once though of
posting the sources for Kermit but they were TOO big.  I know that
members of the Software Distillery read this net (Hi, John) and would
be more than happy to tell you how to get a copy of the most recent
version of Kermit for the Amiga (is there anything new with it these
days?).  I myself have done my share of distributing it as a part of
distributing IBM and C-64 and Amiga Kermits.  But SD in NC will have
the most recent copies.

Last comment and then I will go home:

I am using Mike ("he'll be jello when he's dead") Meyer's
MicroGnuEmacs 0.4 and love it to death. Heck, I am using it right now.
All other editors are nothing compared to this one.  However I like
the c-tags function of Manx's Z editor.  This has compile time options
to make a very customized Emacs.  Lot's of mouse commands, full menu
(like Andy's) only if you want all the normal menus are in the first
menu, and all the commands are in subcommands.  This leaves the rest
of the menu bar for one of my favorite features.  A Browser like way
of getting files loaded in.  The second menu says Disks, and the
menuitems are df0: df1: and ram:, select one and the next menu is that
directory, and so on, and so on.  'es var-ry niice!

If you startup your CLI in 48 column mode Emacs will go to 48 column
mode like Andy's Emacs, I just wish that there was a compile time option
to open Emacs on a different screen and then be able to go from 24 to
48 with a command.  Seems like it might be too much trouble, since this
Emacs will run on anything from a CP/M machine to a Tops-20.  Nice work
Mike, have you seen fish 35-40 yet?

All right, I have ranted enough for this week.  In closing I am wondering
if there is anyone out there who is reading there UseNet mail on their
Amiga. I am busy implementing ReadNews on the Amiga and having it Auto-
matically go and get my news for me, and automatically mail off anything
I edit on my Amiga.  I am in the beginning stages, but if someone else is
already doing it, why should I duplicate the effort, or maybe someone would
like to help!  If it gets good and transportable I may publish the results
some day.

Oh look, a cute .signature file!

Randy Spencer P.O. Box 4542 Berkeley CA 94704 (415)284-4740 ...well!spencer
                         I N F I N I T Y             spencer@USCVAXQ.bitnet
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .     spencer@usc-oberon.arpa
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. . .
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..
                         s o f t w a r e

mic@ut-ngp.UUCP (Mic Kaczmarczik) (11/17/86)

In article <2063@well.UUCP> spencer@well.UUCP (Randal Spencer) writes:

> [discussion of VT100 & MicroGNUEmacs]
>
>If you startup your CLI in 48 column mode Emacs will go to 48 column
>mode like Andy's Emacs, I just wish that there was a compile time option
>to open Emacs on a different screen and then be able to go from 24 to
>48 with a command.  Seems like it might be too much trouble, since this
>Emacs will run on anything from a CP/M machine to a Tops-20.

Actually, it's not a whole lot of trouble, because it would be a
system-specific functions that wouldn't affect the rest of the editor.
I just never got around to doing it because a full-fledged MG is a
*real* memory hog, and opening up a second screen would use up even
more memory.  If you feel like hacking it in, please send us your
changes, we'll be happy to use them...

Mic Kaczmarczik
...!seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!mic
mic@ngp.utexas.edu
CCEP001@UTADNX.BITNET

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (Don't have strength to leave) Meyer) (11/19/86)

[This should really go direct to Randy, but I need to place credit
where credit is due.]

In article <2063@well.UUCP> spencer@well.UUCP (Randal Spencer) writes:
>Or what is that, "uw" for the Mac with the multiple windows onto Unix?

I've written two, neither of which was good enough to release. Wiring
it into VT100 is on the list of things to do. See the complete list at
the end so you'll have some idea of how long this is going to take.

>I am using Mike ("he'll be jello when he's dead") Meyer's

Uh, that *WAS* "I'll be mellow when I'm dead." The line has changed,
though.

>MicroGnuEmacs 0.4 and love it to death. Heck, I am using it right now.

Thank you for the kind words.

0.4 is the last beta release. My understanding is that the real
release has gone to mod.sources. It will also be available at Winner's
Circle Systems (in Berkeley) in the near future. This is version 1a
(numbering scheme chosen so as not to coincide with any existing
microemacs. Also because it's the most rational :-).

>All other editors are nothing compared to this one.  However I like

Damn straight. If you've got an Amiga, this is *THE* microemacs to
use. Anywhere else you can't run GNU, it should be seriously
considered.

However, most of the work on the Amiga version was done by Mic K[a-z]*
(mic@utexas.ngp.edu), and hence he deserves most of the credit. The
GNU-ishness and the mouse interface and the browser are mine, but Mic
rewrote them and made it all work well. There are also several (many)
others who chased nasty bugs out of the thing, and fixed them.

>the c-tags function of Manx's Z editor.

The GNU etags may appear in the next version. Maybe.

>This has compile time options to make a very customized Emacs.

Warning: Due to the large number of compile-time commands, not all
variations of the compile have been properly tested with both Amiga
compilers. Nuts, not even the five configurations that come with it
have been properly tested (though they DO compile - or at least
should). Testing an Emacs (even a small one) takes time. Bug reports
(and fixes, I hope) should be handled as described in the
documentation that Mic wrote.

>Lot's of mouse commands, full menu
>(like Andy's) only if you want all the normal menus are in the first
>menu, and all the commands are in subcommands.  This leaves the rest
>of the menu bar for one of my favorite features.  A Browser like way
>of getting files loaded in.  The second menu says Disks, and the
>menuitems are df0: df1: and ram:, select one and the next menu is that
>directory, and so on, and so on.  'es var-ry niice!

Not browser like, that *is* the browser. That's what became of the
second version I never wrote - it got wired into Emacs, where it's
much more useful.

>If you startup your CLI in 48 column mode Emacs will go to 48 column
>mode like Andy's Emacs, I just wish that there was a compile time option
>to open Emacs on a different screen and then be able to go from 24 to
>48 with a command.  Seems like it might be too much trouble, since this
>Emacs will run on anything from a CP/M machine to a Tops-20.  Nice work

Actually, Mic and I talked about doing a version that ran on a second
Screen. Wouldn't be hard to do, but we didn't think it would be worth
the trouble. You might try compiling with TOGGLE_ZOOMS set. You can
then go from 48 rows (not columns) by 80 columns to (arbitrary size,
up to 47 rows by 77 columns) and back with
shift-meta-control-echo-mouse. The default resizeable window is 23x77.

>Mike, have you seen fish 35-40 yet?

Just the listing. I was glad to see the Little Smalltalk on it, so I
can take that off my list of things to do. Going to go looking for
them again later this week.  And maybe try and buy the real 1.2 disks.

>All right, I have ranted enough for this week.  In closing I am wondering
>if there is anyone out there who is reading there UseNet mail on their
>Amiga. I am busy implementing ReadNews on the Amiga and having it Auto-
>matically go and get my news for me, and automatically mail off anything
>I edit on my Amiga.  I am in the beginning stages, but if someone else is
>already doing it, why should I duplicate the effort, or maybe someone would
>like to help!  If it gets good and transportable I may publish the results
>some day.

Hey, great. Just make sure that it won't be hard to make it talk to
the remote netnews server if you've got some form of TCP/IP on your
Amiga.

>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>Randy Spencer P.O. Box 4542 Berkeley CA 94704 (415)284-4740 ...well!spencer
>                         I N F I N I T Y             spencer@USCVAXQ.bitnet
>Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .     spencer@usc-oberon.arpa
>But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. . .
>Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..
>                         s o f t w a r e
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Nice to see you've found a job.

	mwm@berkeley.edu
	ucbvax!mwm
	<mike

[List of things to do. Note that order may change without notice, and
some of this may never get done. Since all the resulting code is/will
be publicly available, if you're interested in doing any of these
things, let me know! Most especially, someone to write the GNU cron
docs so I can go back to hacking would be GREATLY appreciated.]

*) Finish the GNU cron docs (before doing any work on rest of list!)
*) Generalize the GNU Emacs Mouse support to be reasonable.
*) Distribute the patches to VT100 to add mouse support, plus the Amiga
	elisp for GNU Emacs (needs prev).
*) Shell mode for microGNU on Unix and AmigaDOS.
*) Finish B-tree ndbm code for netnews, the Amiga and GNU.
*) Hyper (needs prev; hyper is to type what dirutil is to dir.)
*) Autodial for vt100, with menu of systems.
*) Drag select for microGNU on the Amiga.
*) Port the PD TCP/IP SLIP code to the Amiga.
*) Write NFS for AmigaDOS (needs prev, may need RPC).
*) Port cron to AmigaDOS.
*) Try wiring the UW support code into vt100.

page@ulowell.UUCP (11/21/86)

Mike (Don't have strength to leave) Meyer wrote:
>List of things to do. [...] Since all the resulting code is/will
>be publicly available, if you're interested in doing any of these
>things, let me know!
>[..]
>*) Port cron to AmigaDOS.

Yow!  If you have a PD cron, send it and I'll make it work.
Then again, cron from scratch shouldn't be so hard...

..Bob
--
Bob Page,  U of Lowell CS Dept.      ulowell!page,  page@ulowell.CSNET

vik@lynx.uucp (Vikram Sohal) (07/31/90)

Lately I have been looking around for a good 2400 baud modem and some
good communications software to use with my Amiga 500. I saw a review
in one of the Amiga rags about something called the "Baud Bandit". It
is some kind of 2400 baud modem that also supports data compression,
the review mentioned that the data compression is not very useful (in
fact it makes transmissions longer!) when used with transfer protocals
that already do some data compression. I do not know if this is a very
useful feature or even if other modems (like the telebit trailblazer)
support the protocal that the Baud Bandit supports (something called
MNP level 5). Anyways, what do you guys think? should I just go for a
Hayes 2400 baud modem, or should I take a chance on one of these things?
How about terminal software for the A500? any good choices?

Thanks,
Vic Sohal
Lynx Real-Time Systems

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (08/01/90)

In article <7905@lynx.UUCP> vik@lynx.UUCP (Vikram Sohal) writes:
>Lately I have been looking around for a good 2400 baud modem and some
>good communications software to use with my Amiga 500. I saw a review
>in one of the Amiga rags about something called the "Baud Bandit". It

Baud Bandit is at this time a line of two modems and a term program.

>is some kind of 2400 baud modem that also supports data compression,

There is an MNP5 version and the normal 2400 baud.  A 9600 baud version
is in the works.

>the review mentioned that the data compression is not very useful (in
>fact it makes transmissions longer!) when used with transfer protocals
>that already do some data compression. I do not know if this is a very

This is more complicated than that - it is the FILES you transfer that
are compressed, not the protocols, and in my experience it NEVER actually
slows down, though it may not help AS MUCH.  I regularly got in excess
of 270 CPS transfering all manner of files, mostly LHarced programs.
However, the potential is there.  It works best on text - you get an
effective 4800 baud in many cases with messages, menus, etc.

>useful feature or even if other modems (like the telebit trailblazer)
>support the protocal that the Baud Bandit supports (something called
>MNP level 5). Anyways, what do you guys think? should I just go for a

I am told Supra is coming out with an MNP 5 modem that also supports
v.42bis for a theoretical maximum effective throughput of nearly 8800 CPS.
While this is probably a bit of an exaggeration it is certainly reasonable
to expect it to be much faster than MNP 5 alone, and I am looking forward
to it.  My current Supra 2400 is probably the only 100% perfect piece of
consumer electronics I've ever purchased, and that's even counting the
simple stuff like joysticks... it is trouble-free and perfect in every
way (IMO).

>Hayes 2400 baud modem, or should I take a chance on one of these things?
>How about terminal software for the A500? any good choices?

I bought a Baud Bandit MNP 5 modem and returned it after 3 days.  It
performed as advertised, but I had many troubles with it.  The speaker
was of very poor quality, the case was very large, the LEDs hard to see
from an angle, the default settings rather inconvenient, and it put out
RF interference like it was designed for the task (though my setup is
quite sensitive to that - my TV antenna is a piece of flat wire cable
snaking through the power lines of my computers...).  I don't mean to
really flame it totally - it did to what it was supposed to do and
worked well, but to me, the speed increase wasn't worth giving up my
Supra.  I plan to wait until the new Supra modem is shipping and get
one of those, as the projected price (as seen in the mail-order ads
that are already being run) is less than the BaudBandit.

As for terminal software, the best shareware is at this time JRComm 1.0,
which has a thread of it's own here... The BaudBandit software has some
nice features but is also, to me, substandard overall.

(note: I've had some even worse experiences with the regular BaudBandit
modem, which is owned by a frequent client of mine.  He got it primarily
so I could send him intermediate results of contract work over the phone,
and a lot of the time we have trouble just connecting... I have heard his
modem send tones down the line that no modem should even be able to make!
But most of the time it, too, performs as advertised, except for recently
when it stopped working - we're not sure if it's the cable or what, but
the problem is probably not in the modem)

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|

mab@druwy.ATT.COM (Alan Bland) (08/07/90)

Hi Ben...

In article <1749@nyx.UUCP> bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:
>modem, which is owned by a frequent client of mine.  He got it primarily
>so I could send him intermediate results of contract work over the phone,
>and a lot of the time we have trouble just connecting... I have heard his
>modem send tones down the line that no modem should even be able to make!

Where is his modem in relation to his other equipment?  When I added a GVP
hard drive to my 500, I tried setting my Supra modem on top of the drive.
After all, it seemed like a convenient spot.  Apparently the drive's power
supply interfered with the modem's tone detector and/or generator.  It would
only connect about a third of the time, even though the tone sounded fine
to my ears.  Moving the modem away from any source of power solved the
problem (though I do have a digital clock sitting on top of it at the moment).
--
-- Alan Bland
-- att!druwy!mab == mab@druwy.ATT.COM