[comp.sys.amiga] MB

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (08/04/90)

In article <8804@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, jimmy@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jimmy Chan) writes:
> Reading this latest string of notes, I wonder what happened to MB?  Has
> anyone ever wondered that MB posts these base notes then never responds
> to any of the followups?  He neither tries to defends his original position
> or apologize for any mistakes.  I am beginning to think that MB does
> not read any of the followups or just doesn't care about what other
> people think or know.
>
> Sorry just some idle thinking here....8-)..

Oh dear, I guess you are on to me at last.
All right, I'll admit it.

_I made MB_

Yes, MB is my AI project I have been working on for my PhD. I idea was to
take the Eliza program and make it more realistic. I quickly realised that
the major problem with Eliza is that it appears to respond to the user.
Now a _real_ person would never listen to another point of view, so I took
that bit out. A minor problem was that Eliza never really has a point of
view, it just says "yes, tell me more about your mother...". Now I didn't
have enough time to give it lots of points of view about lots of things,
so I gave it one point of view about one thing. I'm working on a favorite
football team right now, but for the last year, the only point of view it
has been running on was "WE NEED MORE PIXELS". You will notice that the
elaboration algorithm developed a terrible bug a month ago when this view
mutated into "WE DON'T WANT AS MANY PIXELS AS THE MAC". I'm still trying to
trace that one.

Anyway, sorry to have taken up so much of everyone's time. Hopefully MB
will be a little easier to take when it's got football to talkabout as well.

Regards Alan

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

>Oh dear, I guess you are on to me at last.
>All right, I'll admit it.

>_I made MB_

>Yes, MB is my AI project I have been working on for my PhD.

Boy, that sure explains a lot! I knew there was something 'off' about MB.
He never seemed quite real. But congratulations! He is very close to
being a real person. A few more months ought to do it.

>so I gave it one point of view about one thing. I'm working on a favorite
>football team right now, but for the last year, the only point of view it
>has been running on was "WE NEED MORE PIXELS". You will notice that the
>elaboration algorithm developed a terrible bug a month ago when this view
>mutated into "WE DON'T WANT AS MANY PIXELS AS THE MAC". I'm still trying to
>trace that one.

Yea, that Mac bit threw me too. Did you check the
Juvenile Evangelical Righteous Knowledge (JERK) registers? From his postings
it seems to me that there is a feedback problem there.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,