[comp.sys.amiga] Pro Sound Designer

a774@mindlink.UUCP (Wayde Police) (08/02/90)

        I have recently purchased this stereo sound digitizer (GOLD Edition)
with software from a distributer liquidation sale. The problem I have is the
software is flakey, with random sprites being displayed on screen. The
digitizer software also insists my overscanned workbench is a PAL machine and
will only display a system alert saying NTSC ONLY! I then have to reset the
workbench to 640x200 in order for the program to even start. Turning off
fastmem before I run the program has no effect on the sprite problem either.
        The back of the manual states the distributer
as Precision, Inc. 8404 Sterling Street, in Texas. Does anyone know if this
software has ever been updated or if the company still supports this product?
The software was apparently made by a company called Eidersoft Software &
Digigraphic Ltd. (the manual was printed in 1988)
        Thanks for any information ...
        WVP
  +-----------------------------------+
  +-----------------------------------+

laughlin@fornax.UUCP (Bob Laughlin) (08/04/90)

In article <2696@mindlink.UUCP> a774@mindlink.UUCP (Wayde Police) writes:

>    I have recently purchased this stereo sound digitizer (GOLD Edition)
>.......software is flakey, with random sprites being displayed on screen. The
>digitizer software also insists my overscanned workbench is a PAL machine and
>will only display a system alert saying NTSC ONLY!
[stuff deleted]

    I used Pro Sound designer a lot a year ago when my Perfect Sound
digitizer died.  The software has many problems besides the ones you
mentioned above.  The most serious is that it trashes disks when
writing out soundfiles.  This happened 5 or 6 times to me and
I never did figure out what I did to precipitate it.  If you use
it go slowly when mousing around in the file-save requester.  This
seems to avoid the problem.  The trashed disks were unrecoverable with
DiskSalv.  Fortunately I was only saving to floppies.  In general the
software has a pretty look but is bug-ridden and seems to do everything
in a non-standard way.
   The hardware on the other hand produced good quality samples.
Unfortunately it only works with the Pro Sound software. It does
not work with AudioMaster II.  I have since upgraded my dead
Perfect Sound hardware to the most recent version.  Unfortunately
the new Perfect Sound software is buggy and poorly thought out.
Also the new Perfect Sound hardware does not work with AudioMaster II
(the old version did).  I hear AudioMaster II is being upgraded to
work with the new Perfect Sound hardware.  I don't know about Pro Sound.
I wrote the Pro Sound people about the buggy SW but never got a reply,
or an upgrade notice.

--
 Bob Laughlin  laughlin@cs.sfu.ca

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (08/07/90)

In article <1042@fornax.UUCP> laughlin@lccr.UUCP (Bob Laughlin) writes:
-In article <2696@mindlink.UUCP> a774@mindlink.UUCP (Wayde Police) writes:
->
->    I have recently purchased this stereo sound digitizer (GOLD Edition)
->.......software is flakey, with random sprites being displayed on screen. The
->digitizer software also insists my overscanned workbench is a PAL machine and
->will only display a system alert saying NTSC ONLY!
-[stuff deleted]
-
[...]
---
- Bob Laughlin  laughlin@cs.sfu.ca

I also have Pro Sound Designer, which I bought almost exactly two years
ago. I have only had some of above mentioned problems, but the two main
drawbacks for me was that the beautiful overscanned screen did not work
with my A2090, and that PSD only could sample into chipmem. AM II would
had solved that if the hardware wasn't deliberately made not to work
with any other program (the software can handle the same hardware as
AudioMaster can).

I also wrote to EiderSoft and sent in my Registration Card, but got
no reply. They seem to have started with some professional quality
modular sampling "koncept", which never have been completed...

I have Never gotten Any reply from Any company I have sent registration
cards to, includin Newtek, EArts and others...