[comp.sys.amiga] Extension cords in general: Getting away from it all.

carpent@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) (08/04/90)

I have a rather hairbrained idea:  (Well, numerous ones.  But you knew that)

  I want to extend my keyboard, mouse and moniter a *long* way away from my
  Amiga.  I don't need the box (2500/30) for the floppy, since everything I do
  is based off the hard drive.

  How long?  Oh, about 8 meters. (16 would be nice, but I think that is quite
  impossible) This is so I can work while sitting in the back yard, and just
  feed the cables through a window.  Or work in a different room, and leave the
  Amiga sealed up somewhere to limit dust, humidity, theft, and fan noise.

  What is the farthest people have managed?  I assume there are some timing
  problems with extending the keyboard, and noise and voltage problems
  extending the video line.  Is this a completely wacko idea?

  If you do have part numbers, or supplier (Like the Radio Shack mouse
  extender), please include information on that as well.

  Please email me, and I'd be happy to summarize or forward responses to
  interested parties.  And then this can get added to the "Monthly Amiga Trivia
  for those of us who don't always pay attention" posting.

  Thanks!

Todd P. Carpenter          Honeywell Systems and Research Center
voice:  (612)782-7229      paper:  3660 Technology Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55418
UUCP: carpent@srcsip.uucp  bang-style: {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!carpent
Internet: carpent@src.honeywell.com or Arkon%kryl@src.honeywell.com

peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) (08/04/90)

In article <85117@srcsip.UUCP> carpent@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) writes:

>I have a rather hairbrained idea:  (Well, numerous ones.  But you knew that)
>
>  I want to extend my keyboard, mouse and moniter a *long* way away from my
>  Amiga.  I don't need the box (2500/30) for the floppy, since everything I do
>  is based off the hard drive.

I would like to add two more to his list.  How long can the RGB cable
be extended, and how long can the composite video cable from an A500
video add-on-thingy be?  I would like to be able to put a monitor or
composite TV in a different room than the CPU, but don't really want
to overload the video drivers and have to read smoke signals!

             Thanks,
             Joe Peck
             peck@ral.rpi.edu

tep@tots.UUCP (Tom Perrine) (08/07/90)

In article <S67$ZQ%@rpi.edu> peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) writes:
>In article <85117@srcsip.UUCP> carpent@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) writes:
>>
>>I have a rather hairbrained idea:  (Well, numerous ones.  But you knew that)
>>
>>  I want to extend my keyboard, mouse and moniter a *long* way away from my
>>  Amiga.
>I would like to add two more to his list.  How long can the RGB cable
>be extended, and how long can the composite video cable from an A500
>video add-on-thingy be?  I would like to be able to put a monitor or
>composite TV in a different room than the CPU, but don't really want
>to overload the video drivers and have to read smoke signals!
>
>             Thanks,
>             Joe Peck
>             peck@ral.rpi.edu

I have built a 12 foot RGB cable from mini-coax. I looks great from my
500 to a Sony 27XBR. I am fairly sure that I could easily double the
length with no problems.

I used the directions from the Amazing Computing article of several
years ago. Make sure you use at least a *good* (not necessarily great)
grade of coax.

Tom Perrine (tep)                       |Internet: tep@tots.Logicon.COM
Logicon                                 |UUCP: nosc!hamachi!tots!tep
Tactical and Training Systems Division  |-or-  sun!suntan!tots!tep
San Diego CA                            |GENIE: T.PERRINE
"Harried: with preschoolers"            |+1 619 455 1330
Home of the _Tower Operator Training System_ as seen in the SunTech Journal.

tep@tots.UUCP (Tom Perrine) (08/08/90)

OK, I have had a *lot* of requests for the "monitor extension cable"
article reference, so here it is.

The article is "The Sony Connection", in Amazing Computing Vol. 2
#12, from 1987. It describes how to hook up a Sony KV-20XBR monitor. I
used the same stuff to hook up my KV-27XBR, which is the same, except
for screen size.

Both of these monitors have the 34-pin connector on the back; Sony
sells a PX-34 plug for mucho bucks that fits it. (I bought mine from a
surplus house for about $2.) I have no idea what this connector is
really called.

"Recent" Sony TV/monitors may or may not have this connector on the
back. I bought mine in 1987, and I have had differing reports of
whether or not this connector is on the later models.

I recommend building at least a 10 foot cable for a 26" monitor.

Of course, you really should get the article, as it explains about the
connector, etc. But just in case you can't...

*********
Enter disclaimer mode: This information is provided for amusement
only. If you fry your Amiga or monitor, you are on your own! If you
are not comfortable with soldering small connections, or familiar with
connector pin numbering, you may not want to try this from these
directions. Get the article, if at all possible...

Kids!  Don't try this at home!! :-)
**********

I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron, and I had to work to get the
itty-bitty coax connected to the itty-bitty pins, so fore-warned is
fore-armed (or 1/2 an octopus).  If you have, or can borrow a
"third-hand", you will save yourself a lot of aggravation.

OK, the "cable" is actually four separate coax cables, one each for
Red, Green, Blue and SYNC.

IF YOU HAVE THE SAME CONNECTOR on your TV, the important pins are:

        13      GROUND
        25      RED INPUT
        26      GREEN INPUT
        27      BLUE INPUT
        30      HORIZONTAL SYNC OR COMPOSITE SYNC INPUT

Note that the numbering for the connector is kinda nonstandard:

        18           ____          34
       +-------------|  |------------+
       |                             |
       +-----------------------------+
        1 . . .                    17

Make the connections using any miniature 75-ohm coax, Beldon 9221 or
8218. Don't try Radio Shack, they will try to sell you RG-59U which is
way too big. I just called a local video shop (that also does repairs)
and they just said, "How much do you want?".

Connect:

		Amiga			Sony

cable 1		3			25
	shield	16

cable 2		4			26
	shield	17

cable 3		5			27
	shield	18

cable 4		10			30
	shield	20			13

Notes:

1. The Red, Green and Blue inputs are dual-purpose. If you ground pin
21, the inputs are IBM-PC style digital RGB, but we want analog signal
levels, so leave pin 21 alone.

2. There are external audio connections, which I don't use, on pins 24
(left) and 20 (right). IF pin 34 is connected to +5v (from pin 1 or 2)
AND the Sony is in RGB mode, THEN these inputs will be connected to
the speakers. I find it MUCH easier to bring in the Amiga audio on
Video 3, then I use the remote to select Video 3 AND then RGB.

Take your time. Have fun. Don't smoke your tube. Enjoy your favorite
flight simulator.