[comp.sys.amiga] Commercial use of AMIGA

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (08/03/90)

Cross post here FYI:
Article <8676@scorn.sco.COM> Thu 17:40
Subject: Re: Video Effects
(45 lines)
                                                                                                                                                                In article <208@cbmtor.UUCP> caleb@cbmtor.UUCP (Caleb J. Howard ) writes:
|Hello there.  I posted an article here the other day concerning the Video
|effects used by the Grateful Dead in their stage production.  I stated that
|the effects are generated by the Amiga computer.  There was a response saying
|that they were generated using a Videodisk player and other equipment.  I am
|rather familiar with the hardware and software capabilities of the Amiga, and
|have specific experience in the area of video production.  The Amiga is capable|of controlling a videodisc player and overlaying computer graphics onto the
|disc image using a genlock device to sync the two sources' signals.  Also,
|the Spirograph type effects that they showed in Buffalo were without question
|generated by an Amiga 2000 or 2500 running a 68020 or 68030 processor with a
|genlock and a video camera aimed at the video monitor to generate video
|feedback.  I know all of this because I have the same equipment and generate
|the same effects.  If anyone is interested in trading tapes for videotapes,
|just email me.
|Just to reiterate.  The video effects generated by the boyz at the showz
|ARE generated by the Commodore AMIGA home computer.  (The software used
|for the spirograph effects was a public domain forth/assembly program
|called Klide).

That I can confirm.  Two of my old high-school buddies did the Amiga work for
the shows, doing video feedback stuff.  No videodiscs were used, although
they did pipe stuff in through a genlock device.  I'm not sure of the software
they used, though  -- I'm just a unix hack, and am not familiar with Amiga
software outside of Deluxe Paint and Marble Madness... :-)

Most of it they did in real time.  The did some things for us at a party
recently, all really quite nice.  It surprised me that such new, modern
technology could come up with things so reminiscent of 60's and 70's
psychedelia.  In some ways, the feedback started reminding me of fractal
shapes with all the self-similartiy, and then to have it animated in real-time!

They also did the house of cards for the cover of Built to Last.  Check the
liner notes...

|-caleb

        'stair

--
Alastair Sutherland, Computing Services Projects Guy, The Santa Cruz Operation
alastair@sco.com (E-I-E-I-O)  - or -  uunet!sco!alastair  - or - (408) 425-7222

"With this attached, women will flock to you... and bounce right off!" -davidje

nj@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (...) (08/05/90)

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) crossposted an article from
alastair@sco.com which said:

>That I can confirm.  Two of my old high-school buddies did the Amiga work for
>the shows, doing video feedback stuff.

There was a third one (as Alastair should remember--heh) who did
artwork that was scanned in and animated using DPaint III.  She drew
the bulk of the 2-D animations (as opposed to the 3-D ankh-to-yin-yang
stuff--did they end up using that one?--and the video feedback stuff).

>No videodiscs were used, although they did pipe stuff in through a
>genlock device.

They mostly used the genlock (SuperGen, I believe) for video feedback
stuff.

>I'm not sure of the software
>they used, though  -- I'm just a unix hack, and am not familiar with Amiga
>software outside of Deluxe Paint and Marble Madness... :-)

As mentioned above, they used DPaint III for almost all of their 2D
animations (except for a few things generated by Digipaint 3).  They
also used Sculpt-Animate 4D for the 3D animations, and some
miscellaneous public domain screenhacks along with some video feedback
software I'm not familiar with for the psychedelic stuff.

None of them has actually seen one of the stage shows with their stuff
in it yet; if anyone who's seen them has comments on the animations
(and remembers any particular ones that were shown), please send me
mail.

--
Narciso Jaramillo       nj@arpa.Berkeley.EDU      "helloi"--mus' be my "eggo".

reb@squid.rtech.com (Phydeaux) (08/08/90)

In article <26752@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> nj@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (...) writes:
>In article <208@cbmtor.UUCP> caleb@cbmtor.UUCP (Caleb J. Howard ) writes:
>>No videodiscs were used, although they did pipe stuff in through a
>>genlock device.

Maybe they were using a WORM drive or some such device to record the show?  I
*DEFINITELY* saw someone take one out of a piece of equipment and exchange it
with another between sets...
                                        reb

*-=#= Phydeaux =#=-*       reb@ingres.com   reb%ingres.com@lll-winken.llnl.GOV
ICBM:  40.55N 74.11W       h:182 Market St.Saddle Brook, NJ 07662 201-845-0256
 ...This is a test of the emergency netnews system. Should this have been an
    actual posting you would have been instructed where to flame...

nj@arpa.Berkeley.EDU (...) (08/09/90)

In article <5683@rtech.Ingres.COM> reb@squid.rtech.com (Phydeaux) writes:

> >In article <208@cbmtor.UUCP> caleb@cbmtor.UUCP (Caleb J. Howard ) writes:
> >>No videodiscs were used, although they did pipe stuff in through a
> >>genlock device.

> Maybe they were using a WORM drive or some such device to record the show?  I
> *DEFINITELY* saw someone take one out of a piece of equipment and exchange it
> with another between sets...

Sorry, forgot to address this point.  Yes, the animations were
recorded onto videodisc by someone at G.  Dead, Inc.; I believe the
animators merely provided them with a videotape or videotapes that
they could edit and record onto a videodisc.

nj