[comp.sys.amiga] A3000 questions and comments AND BENCHMARKS

navas@cory.uucp (David C. Navas) (08/10/90)

In article <3803@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp13@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Marcus Cannava) writes:
>In article <26883@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, navas@cory.uucp (David C.
>Navas) writes:
>|>The 1950
>|>moniter seems to jump 2 pixel-rows every once in awhile -- very disturbing.
>
>I can add my $0.02... I have an A3000 and it exhibits the same behaviour.
>The machine at my dealer's does the same thing.

Is this with or without the 1950?  Have you tried hooking it up to a
different monitor?

This question is very important to me.  I was about to order a 3000 TODAY,
but I won't order a machine that's going to be hooked up to a NEC 4D if
it's own video output isn't up to its own specs...

>Anyone know what the story is?

Indeed, anyone at Cmdre in the know about this one?

-------------BENCHMARKS----------------

Benchmarks are only useful in two areas.

	1) Comparing between different computers of the same architecture.
	2) As rough estimates of their computing power.

The Amiga has their own set of benchmarks (however flawed) for the first.
For the second, enough has been posted to support the contention that
an '030 based machine is the slightest bit faster than an equivalent '386
machine, but not significantly so.  The main reason that benchmarks do
not do justice to the system is evidenced by the difference that used to
exist even among compilers -- often there would be a 2x difference in
dhrystone readings.

Regardless, send me your favorite suite of benchmarks and I'll
consider porting them.  I'll get someone I know with a good compiler to
compile them, and I'll run them on the local store's computer.  I don't
promise to do them, but it would be an amusing thing to do while I
wait for my own 3000 to arrive.

Now PLEASE, unless you have some real figures stop arguing publicly and
take it to e-mail.  :)  Thank You.

>'I do not fear computers.. I fear the lack of them'  -- I. Asimov

What a coincidence, I fear that people will so like their OWN brand of
computers they'll forget about the new ones.

David Navas                                   navas@sim.berkeley.edu
"Excuse my ignorance, but I've been run over by my train of thought."  -me