[comp.sys.amiga] CLTD low-level formatter

golson@Ebay.Sun.COM (Greg Olson) (08/07/90)

Hi All,

Well, my hard drive finally ran into some additional bad sectors warrenting
a new low level format.  The only low level formatter I have from CLTD is
version 1.1, but I understand that there is a version 3.X which is much more
thorough/flexible.  Could kind soul have pity on me, and tell me where I
can get a copy?  Unfortunately, I can't get in touch with CLTD.....

Thanks a bunch.

	--Greg (golson@ebay.sun.com)

garyf@wiis.wang.com (Gary Field) (08/11/90)

golson@Ebay.Sun.COM (Greg Olson) writes:

>Hi All,
>Well, my hard drive finally ran into some additional bad sectors warrenting
>a new low level format.  The only low level formatter I have from CLTD is
>version 1.1, but I understand that there is a version 3.X which is much more
>thorough/flexible.  Could kind soul have pity on me, and tell me where I
>can get a copy?  Unfortunately, I can't get in touch with CLTD.....

>Thanks a bunch.

>	--Greg (golson@ebay.sun.com)

Firstly, depending on what type of SCSI drive you have, low level formatting
alone may not solve your problem. When you issue a FORMAT UNIT command
to a SCSI drive, usually the drive simply formats each track and then
assigns replacement sectors for any bad blocks it "knows about". meaning
blocks that were found during manufacture of the drive. Grown defects
(ones that occur after using the drive for a while) must be removed
by issuing a REASSIGN BLOCKS command for the new defects. I don't know
if CLtd's format utility does that (but I doubt it).
 The newer 3.x software as I understand it may not work with older
SCSI cards.
C Ltd is now out of business, but Microdyn has picked up support for
their products and I've been told they can be reached at (316) 265-2661.
Give them a call and see if they will give you the new software
(and whether it will solve your problem).
Post back to the net what you find out. I am curious myself (but not
curious enough to call them myself :-) )