[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Blues

scotth@corp.sgi.com (Scott Henry) (08/10/90)

jeff> In article <3391@usceast.UUCP> yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) writes:

jeff> 	[ ... ]

>etc.  However, the windowing system is so slow as to be unuseable, even on a
>machine proported to have one of the fastest graphics systems around

jeff> 	[ ... ]

jeff> Sounds like X11 to me.

Sounds like 8MB and/or an old release of the OS to me... I don't care what
the marketing and sales folks tell people, you can do any real work with
8MB on an IRIS. The more the merrier. The latest release of the OS (Irix
3.3) has this really neat feature: all free RAM is available for buffer
caching!

BTW, this is one of the biggest differences between the Amiga and almost
any other computer: 2.5MB on an A1000 is plenty for what I want to do (I
run out of chip RAM sometimes, though), but I wish I could put more than
16MB in this 4D70/GTB...

--
 Scott Henry <scotth@sgi.com> / Traveller on Dragon Wings
 Information Services,       / Help! My disclaimer is missing!

yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) (08/11/90)

In article <82898@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Jeff Martens <martens@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
+In article <3391@usceast.UUCP> yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) writes:
+
+	[ ... ]
+
+>etc.  However, the windowing system is so slow as to be unuseable, even on a
+>machine proported to have one of the fastest graphics systems around
+
+	[ ... ]
+
+Sounds like X11 to me.

We used X11 for awhile on the SGI when we were implementing the graphics
portion of the stuff we did.  It ran well, but was slow, too.

Maybe I should clarify the statement I made about the workspace manager (I
think that's what they call it).  If you limit yourself to a bunch of shell
windows that you never move around, everything is fine.  Text handling is
real quick, actually.  Open up the windowing system (which is a very
attractive GUI, by the way), open up some directories, move some windows
around, and you will see what I mean.  Even in 8-bit color, it seems slow to
me.  Makes me wonder why anyone would want a standard 24-bit display on the
Amiga.

+-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

kenny
--