[comp.sys.amiga] remote shell

newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Timothy Newsham) (08/02/90)

ok, i got a weird (will, just a little) question about running a shell from a different computer.. is there anyway to get a shell to accept input from a different device (ie. the ser: port?)  i tried newcli <ser: and newcli from ser:   but that didnt seem to work...  the reason is i would very much like to work on some cli stuff while my brother is using my computer for other things (like games or term program)...
                              tim Newsham

In <13578@cbmvax.commodore.com>, givler@cbmvax.commodore.com (Greg Givler - Product Assurance) writes:

>You have to have 1.3 or higher and Mount Aux:
>
>Then do a:
>
>Newshell Aux:
>
>on the remote machine and then load a terminal package on your machine
>
>You have to go thru the serial port with a null modem cable and you have to
>be travelling at 9600 baud. All this is described in the 1.3 AmigaDOS manual
>under Aux-handler.

Unless the latest Aux: is changed, you can travel at the speed of your serial
port Preferences setting.

-larry

--
Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

joe@cbmvax.commodore.com (Joe O'Hara - Product Assurance) (08/02/90)

In article <8828@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Timothy Newsham) writes:

>ok, i got a weird (will, just a little) question about running a shell from a
 different computer.. is there anyway to get a shell to accept input from a
 different device (ie. the ser: port?)  i tried newcli <ser: and newcli from
 ser:   but that didnt seem to work...  the reason is i would very much like
 to work on some cli stuff while my brother is using my computer for other
 things (like games or term program)...

You can use AUX: for this. It uses the serial port, so a concurrent term
program is out unless you have a multiport serial card. Edit the AUX: entry
in devs/mountlist to match the baud rate of the other computer, connect them
via a null modem cable, then:

       mount aux:
       newshell aux:

This will open a shell on the serial line. Note that only line-oriented
programs will display on aux:. If you start a program that uses windows, those
windows will open on the main screen, not the serial line.
  Joe O'Hara                ||      Disclaimer: I didn't say that!
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||
  Product Assurance         || "I never lie when I have sand in my shoes."
  Systems Evaluation Group  ||             - Geordi LeForge, Star Trek TNG

givler@cbmvax.commodore.com (Greg Givler - Product Assurance) (08/02/90)

In article <8828@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> newsham@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Timothy Newsham) writes:

>ok, i got a weird (will, just a little) question about running a shell from a
> different computer.. is there anyway to get a shell to accept input from a
>different device (ie. the ser: port?)  i tried newcli <ser: and newcli from
>ser:   but that didnt seem to work...  the reason is i would very much like
>to work on some cli stuff while my brother is using my computer for other
>things (like games or term program)...
>                              tim Newsham

You have to have 1.3 or higher and Mount Aux:

Then do a:

Newshell Aux:

on the remote machine and then load a terminal package on your machine

You have to go thru the serial port with a null modem cable and you have to
be travelling at 9600 baud. All this is described in the 1.3 AmigaDOS manual
under Aux-handler.

Greg

Greg Givler                        | Q-Link: GregGivler
Analyst - Systems Evaluation Group | CompuServe: Greg Givler 76702,647
Commodore Product Assurance        | GEnie: G.Givler
215-431-9100                       | The NET: givler@cbmvax.commodore.com
"I'm a Hawk, you're a Tiger... We're our own Zoo" -- Countess Charlotte Malcolm
    -- From the Musical -- _A_Little_Night_Music_ -- By Stephen Sondheim --

givler@cbmvax.commodore.com (Greg Givler - Product Assurance) (08/07/90)

In article <1838@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <13578@cbmvax.commodore.com>, givler@cbmvax.commodore.com (Greg Givler - Product Assurance) writes:
>>
>>You have to have 1.3 or higher and Mount Aux:
>>
>>Then do a:
>>
>>Newshell Aux:
>>
>>on the remote machine and then load a terminal package on your machine
>>
>>You have to go thru the serial port with a null modem cable and you have to
>>be travelling at 9600 baud. All this is described in the 1.3 AmigaDOS manual
>>under Aux-handler.
>
>Unless the latest Aux: is changed, you can travel at the speed of your serial
>port Preferences setting.
>
>-larry
>
>--
>Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|   //   Larry Phillips                                                 |

Right you are, Larry. I never mess with my Serial Prefs so I always set Aux:
up at 9600 Baud. Thanks for clearing that up.

Greg

Greg Givler                        | Q-Link: GregGivler
Analyst - Systems Evaluation Group | CompuServe: Greg Givler 76702,647
Commodore Product Assurance        | GEnie: G.Givler
215-431-9100                       | The NET: givler@cbmvax.commodore.com
"I'm a Hawk, you're a Tiger... We're our own Zoo" -- Countess Charlotte Malcolm
    -- From the Musical -- _A_Little_Night_Music_ -- By Stephen Sondheim --

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (08/11/90)

Try this:

Mount AUX:
NewShell AUX:

if that doesn't work, use NewShell AUX: AUX: instead. (two AUX:s)

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!dvinci!weyr!70!David.Plummer