[comp.sys.amiga] VirusX 4.01?

dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) (08/12/90)

I have seen what claims to be version 4.01 of VirusX.  It is
distributed without any source code, which I find very unusual.
Could someone who knows better please explain if this is for
real or a hoax?

Dave Buchthal

ked01@ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (08/12/90)

In article <1990Aug11.173405.6722@math.lsa.umich.edu> dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) writes:

> I have seen what claims to be version 4.01 of VirusX.  It is
> distributed without any source code, which I find very unusual.
> Could someone who knows better please explain if this is for
> real or a hoax?

Did you read Steve's (?) explanation, which certainly sounds reasonable?  It's
the "release.note" file, which I've appended.

I just started using it (v4.01), and it hasn't done anything evil to me (yet).

The "-N" option does seem to have a bug though ... if started using -N, when
I put a floppy into df0:, after 1st having put one into df1:, I get a Task
Held requester.  The floppy(s) are OK, and so far, I haven't found a work-
around for the problem.  I'll be reporting this to Steve next time I get on
BiX ...

/kim

v4.01 release.note file:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

If you are new to VirusX, please hunt down "VirusX_4.0.LZH", the last full
release of VirusX.  It includes a program to seek out and remove link
viruses from your hard disk, and the full documentation and source to
VirusX.  You should be able to find it wherever you found this version - if
not, ask for it.

VirusX 4.01 is a small update from VirusX 4.00 - I've made a lot of changes
to the program, but there is only one visible change - and it's actually
an invisible change.

VirusX no longer has to open a window.  The new "-N" option will cause
VirusX to run in the background and do all that it usually does, without
opening a window.

"But how do I look at disk boot blocks, then?" you ask?  Even if you didn't
ask, here's how to do it - you just run VirusX again.  VirusX will notice
that it's already running, and ask if you want the other copy to quit, open
its window, or if you want to just cancel the whole operation (leave the
other copy running, and quit this new copy).

You cannot have two copies of VirusX running - but why would you want to
anyway?

I fixed a few bugs from V4.00, mainly the read-from-location-zero bug that
caused VirusX to crash on machines with 2091 hard disk controllers, among
other things.

This version of VirusX is fully compatible with AmigaDOS 2.0, and will take
advantage of its improved Intuition in simple places (ie, moving the
VirusX window around), where approporiate.  This does not affect how VirusX
behaves under 1.3 and earlier versions.

This version of VirusX is being released WITHOUT the source code.  This is
because the current source has requires the AmigaDOS 2.0 includes to
compile, and these are not currently available to the general public.  I am
also not including the documentation or KV in the release archive, simply
because none of these things have changed.  The next full release of VirusX
will have all these items, and if you are the picky sort, you can ignore
this version until the next full release.

V4.01 checks for no new viruses.  I do have a number of new viruses to add,
but haven't had time to do it, and a bug fix release is long overdue.

Staying current with VirusX isn't as easy as it sounds.  There are
currently two known "Bogus" versions of VirusX - Virusx 4.4, and VirusX
5.0.  Neither of these are my product.  The only way to be sure of the
latest version is either to call my BBS, Plink, Bix, or Me (in that
order!).  If you are going to distribute VirusX to others, ie, on a
disk-of-the-month or on a disk magazine, please make sure you have the
current version.

If you wish to get ahold of me for any reason, the best way is via modem.
I'm an assitant chairman of the AmigaZone on People/Link, known there as
STEVEX.  I'm also on Bix, known as "s.tibbett".  If you aren't on one of
those services, then you can call my BBS at 613-731-3419.  If you really
need to speak to me, call me in the evening at 613-731-5316.  Writing to me
is not a good idea, as I don't normally respond to mail (though I do read
everything I get).

I'm also changing the status of VirusX slightly.  VirusX is no longer
"Public Domain", but is instead now classed as "Freely Redistrutable,
Copyright 1990 Steve Tibbett".  You are free to distribute VirusX as a part
of any collection that is being sold for the cost of duplication and
distribution, providing that you verify with me the status of the version
you plan to distribute.  (If you just downloaded it from Plink or from my
BBS, then don't bother).  Online distribution in any form is okay.  Any
other distribution (specifically disk magazines) should contact me.  (I
don't like legal stuff, but I like the idea of a version of VirusX that can
do damage to people's systems being distributed even less, hence this
paragraph).

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you have had VirusX complain about the CoolCapture vector when you run
it, and you are using either AmigaDOS 2.0 or SetPatch r (the r option on
SetPatch - check your startup sequence), then that is the cause of it.  If
you run VirusX with the "-r" option, then it will not complain about this.
(It will actually not complain about ANY unknown coolcapture vectors above
$80000, but this does not affect its detection of all known viruses, even
if they are up there).

On SOME systems in some configurations, I'm really not sure what,
VirusX will complain about the SetPatch capture even with the
-r set.  If this happens, use the "-c" option which will turn off the
capture checking altogether.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

--
UUCP:  kim@uts.amdahl.com   -OR-   ked01@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (08/12/90)

In article <1990Aug11.173405.6722@math.lsa.umich.edu> dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) writes:
>I have seen what claims to be version 4.01 of VirusX.  It is
>distributed without any source code, which I find very unusual.
>Could someone who knows better please explain if this is for
>real or a hoax?
>
>Dave Buchthal

VirusX 4.01 is an "interim release" from Steve Tibbett. It is a
legitimate release providing the copy you acquire contains these two
files in these sizes with these names:

Listing of archive:  'dl:vx401.LZH'
Original Packed Ratio  Date     Time   Type  CRC  Name
   20892  11683  45% 07-14-90 12:56:32 -lh1- 2B8C virusx
    4481   2256  50% 07-14-90 12:50:36 -lh1- 4B05 release.note
   25373  13939  46%       2 file(s)
Operation successful

source code was not included with this release.

Harv Laser                                      {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
"Park and lock it.  Not responsible."           People/Link: CBM*HARV