[comp.sys.amiga] Short Questionnaire

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (08/10/90)

In article <35706@ut-emx.UUCP> theorist@walt.cc.utexas.edu
(Charles Callaway) writes:

>Greetings to all from the University of Texas.  I am writing an article for
the
>local school-published microcomputer journal and I need to have a few
questions
>answered pretty quickly.
>
>1)  I need a list of programs that have been proven to work with the
>    AMAX Macintosh emulator.

     I haven't tried too many things on my A-Max, but pretty well
everything I've tried has worked just fine, including Z-term, which
works through the Amiga's serial port.

>2)  I need a list of programs that have been proven to work with both
>    the AT- and XT- bridgeboards while allowing you to work on the Amiga

     I do MS-DOS software development on my AT bridge board - I use
KEDIT, the IBM BASIC Compiler version 2.00, DoubleDOS, Procomm,
PC-Anywhere, and Lattice C 6.0, and they all work just fine.  As far
as anything I've tried is concerned, it *is* an 8-MHz AT, except for
copy-protected games, which won't boot.  My 2286 is running its own
30-megabyte RLL hard card (Seagate ST-138N) and a multi-I/O card
(2 serial ports, one parallel port, and a game port).  The 2500/2286
at work has a STEP (Sperry Terminal Emulator Program) board in a
bridge board slot - it's a synchronous serial port which interfaces
to our mainframe through its own terminal emulation software.

>3)  What is the legal explanation for why AMAX can bypass any so-called
>    licensing requirements with the MacOS by using its ROMs.

     Simple - ReadySoft doesn't sell Mac ROMs.  You have to get them
yourself and install them, although a good dealer can scrounge a set
and install them for you.

>4)  Will Commodore give an educational discount for AmigaVision and any
>    future software they will produce?  Is the discount only for hardware?

     No idea on this one, sorry.

>5)  Can the A1000 be setup to use AMAX or the bridgeboards effectively?

     I've used my A-Max on my A1000, A2500/20, and A2500/30 without
any problems.  A stock 1000 can't use a bridge board, although I
think you can do it with a Rejuvenator.

>Thanks for reading and hope you can respond with lots of detail. (mail
>please)

     Hope this helps.  (tm)

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
"I'm cursed with hair from HELL!"  -- Night Court

theorist@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Charles Callaway) (08/11/90)

[...]

Charles Callaway,
President
University Amiga Computer Society

JKT <JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> (08/13/90)

>1)  I need a list of programs that have been proven to work with the
>    AMAX Macintosh emulator.

I'll list all the software in my Mac box, all of which I have tried
at one time or another (I discarded anything that didn't work):

MicroSoft Word 4.0                 Ready Set Go!
MacWrite II                        CricketGraph
Canvas 2.0                         MacTools 6.5 and 7.2
PageMaker 2.0                      Disinfectant (all versions)
PageMaker 3.0                      Vaccination 1.0 and 1.1
FullPaint                          Font/DA Mover (all versions)
SuperPaint 2.0                     First Aid HFS
Aldus Freehand                     PrintShop
Assorted DA's and Inits, far too many to mention.  They all work.
And many games such as Tetris, Strategic Conquest 2.055, Risk, Stratego,
  etc. etc.  SimCity does not work however.

>3)  What is the legal explanation for why AMAX can bypass any so-called
>    licensing requirements with the MacOS by using its ROMs.

Simple - A-Max uses the ACTUAL Macintosh ROMs, not copies.  Therefore,
what laws are broken?  As the legal owner of the ROMs, you are entitled
to use them  The best Apple can try to do is limit the availability
of the ROMs to A-Max users to try to discourage A-Max sales versus
Mac sales.  They've tried to do this, but with little success because
they must do it without publicly announcing that the Amiga can do what
the Mac can do, only cheaper.  ;-)

>Charles Callaway,
>President
>University Amiga Computer Society

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||