[comp.sys.amiga] PIRACY WARNING - again!

gmreise@cs.vu.nl (Reisenstadt G M) (08/09/90)

After we had the SoundTracker stuff... It's again time for a...

                            PIRACY WARNING!
                            ===============

- and this time it's obvious!

On Xanth and abcdf20 in the /incoming/amiga directory is a file called:

X-CopyIII.lzh

This is a pirated version of the commercial copy program X-Copy. The
X-Copy is widely used in Europe, and is very well known here. It is
distributed in Europe by 'Cachet', I believe.

As I recall, X-Copy was made by the same team as Fast-Lightning, but for
another company. X-Copy was than treated the same way as SoundTracker:
enhancement were made and bugs got fixed (allegedly). Then, some of the
enhancements were incorporated into the Commercial version, without
contacting the cracker (M. Pendec ?). This cracker now made a very big
update and called it X-Copy III, and added a text file, which is needed
for correct X-Copy operation. This file is very informative.

The person who uploaded it may not be aware of it being pirated, because
it appeared on some 'demo packs' as a 'bonus' (thats where I got it), and
the fact that the program is not very known in the U.S.

Anyway. It is pirated and you should delete it.
In my personal opinion, you dont have to delete it if you own the latest
commercial version (2.1), because software companies who dont update their
products 'deserve' something too, be it right or wrong.

BEFORE UPLOADING SOMETHING TO ANYWHERE, MAKE SURE YOU ARE ALLOWED TO DO
SO, AND WHEN IN DOUBT: DON'T. ASK FIRST.  IT WOULD BE A SHAME IF ABCDF20
HAS TO BE SHUT DOWN BECAUSE OF PIRATING ANON. FTP'ERS.

Greetings,
Marco Niese.

E-Mail: gmreise@cs.vu.nl   - please put 'TO BMR' in the subject line!

COMING SOON FOR AMIGA:  Target: Baghdad - F117A Stealth Simulation
Brought to you by RSN (n) Products.
(n) RSN is not a registered trademark of the "Por Vapor" Company.

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (08/10/90)

In article <7272@star.cs.vu.nl> gmreise@cs.vu.nl (Reisenstadt G M) writes:
> PIRACY WARNING! - and this time it's obvious!  On Xanth and abcdf20
> in the /incoming/amiga directory is a file called: X-CopyIII.lzh
> This is a pirated version of the commercial copy program X-Copy.

This file has been removed from both sites; thanks for the notice.

> IT WOULD BE A SHAME IF ABCDF20 HAS TO BE SHUT DOWN BECAUSE OF PIRATING.

If it becomes a problem, it will be shut down.  I don't need the hassle...

	...tad

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (08/11/90)

WOOOAAWWW!!! Wait one minute! XcopyIII is NOT pirated... a quick reading of
the docs, or a call to the author would have confirmed that this version
of Xcopy can be LEGALLY distributed!!

He had a 'falling out' with his distributors.

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

jac@gandalf..llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (08/13/90)

>WOOOAAWWW!!! Wait one minute! XcopyIII is NOT pirated... a quick reading of
>the docs, or a call to the author would have confirmed that this version
>of Xcopy can be LEGALLY distributed!!

>He had a 'falling out' with his distributors.

  There was much discussion about this program on BIX. I believe lawyers
for the various parties were contacted and in the end the program was
put in the listings section.

>       - Doug -

  Jim
  James A. Crotinger     Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory      //
  jac@gandalf.llnl.gov   P.O. Box 808; L-630                     \\ //
  (415) 422-0259         Livermore CA 94550                       \\/