[comp.sys.amiga] null modem question

owwhite@nmsu.edu (Owen White) (07/31/90)

hello

i am working with two amigas null modemed to each other
and i was wondering if there was anyway to use one amiga
as a terminal for the other

i am thinking of another cli being controlled by the amiga on the
null modem

am i making sense. is this possible? what do i do?

please reply to owwhite.nmsu.edu

thanks

Sylvain@speedy.CAM.ORG (Sylvain Tremblay) (08/01/90)

>In article <OWWHITE.90Jul31044847@dante.nmsu.edu> owwhite@nmsu.edu (Owen White) writes:
>hello
>
>i am working with two amigas null modemed to each other
>and i was wondering if there was anyway to use one amiga
>as a terminal for the other
>
>i am thinking of another cli being controlled by the amiga on the
>null modem
>
>am i making sense. is this possible? what do i do?
>
>please reply to owwhite.nmsu.edu
>
>thanks

Try to type on a SHELL of the remote computer

NEWSHELL aux:

And use a terminal software on the other computer as a SHELL of the other.

--
Sylvain
                                                                   __

zap@lysator.liu.se (H Andersson) (08/01/90)

owwhite@nmsu.edu (Owen White) writes:

>hello

>i am working with two amigas null modemed to each other
>and i was wondering if there was anyway to use one amiga
>as a terminal for the other

>i am thinking of another cli being controlled by the amiga on the
>null modem

>am i making sense. is this possible? what do i do?

>please reply to owwhite.nmsu.edu

>thanks

This is one of the third simplest things in ze world, if you run 1.3 AMigaDOS.
You have to type the following (difficult :-) sequence:

Mount aux:
Newshell aux:
That's it! You have a multi-user Amiga. Now problem is, all those "Please insert disk in bla bla bl drive" but you can make a program that kills thoseose:
By setting a pointer in the process control block for your process, called
ehm... frogto, but window something, to -1, (it's NUL for workbench screen
for those requesters and windowpointer if oyou want them to pop up on other
screens) then all requesters will work as if you pressed CANCEL. This is not
so bad as it sounds, since you will never get stuck just because you cant
insert a disk that may be three miles away....

The Amiga - a multi-user machine!

/Z

Haakan 'ZAP' Andersson

rda913r@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (r.s. 8848153 harris) (08/02/90)

Sylvain@speedy.CAM.ORG (Sylvain Tremblay) writes:

>>In article <OWWHITE.90Jul31044847@dante.nmsu.edu> owwhite@nmsu.edu (Owen White) writes:
>>
>>i am thinking of another cli being controlled by the amiga on the
>>null modem

>NEWSHELL aux:

>And use a terminal software on the other computer as a SHELL of the other.

and how do you get aux: to use a speed, other than the speed in preferences.

something like the newcon: sequence of newcon:name/screensize/etc would be great

rik.
Rik Harris - Monash University, Caulfield Campus (was Chisholm Institute)
rda913r@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au     <-- what the computer says it is
rda913r@monu6.cc.monash.oz[.au]    <-- SEEMS to work more reliably
Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.

In <1990Aug2.020727.19107@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>, rda913r@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (r.s. 8848153 harris) writes:
>Sylvain@speedy.CAM.ORG (Sylvain Tremblay) writes:
>
>>>In article <OWWHITE.90Jul31044847@dante.nmsu.edu> owwhite@nmsu.edu (Owen White) writes:
>>>
>>>i am thinking of another cli being controlled by the amiga on the
>>>null modem
>
>>NEWSHELL aux:
>
>>And use a terminal software on the other computer as a SHELL of the other.
>
>and how do you get aux: to use a speed, other than the speed in preferences.

As far as I know, you can't, but what's wrong with using Preferences?

-larry

--
Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) (08/08/90)

lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>>>NEWSHELL aux:
>>
>>>And use a terminal software on the other computer as a SHELL of the other.
>>
>>and how do you get aux: to use a speed, other than the speed in preferences.
>>

>As far as I know, you can't, but what's wrong with using Preferences?

I have my modem set up to autoanswer, and I want to get a SHELL over the modem.

The modem will select the baud rate that the other modem is using, and will
vary between 300 and 2400 bps. Also, I want to be able to use my friends Amiga
at 9600 (or more if they will take it) without mucking around with the
Preferences (eeeek, user friendly!!!).

My computer runs most of the time without supervision, and I want to be able
to call up from other places and log in.

In <1990Aug8.033022.2309@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>, edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) writes:
>lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>>>and how do you get aux: to use a speed, other than the speed in preferences.
>>>

>>As far as I know, you can't, but what's wrong with using Preferences?
>
>I have my modem set up to autoanswer, and I want to get a SHELL over the modem.
>
>The modem will select the baud rate that the other modem is using, and will
>vary between 300 and 2400 bps. Also, I want to be able to use my friends Amiga
>at 9600 (or more if they will take it) without mucking around with the
>Preferences (eeeek, user friendly!!!).
>
>My computer runs most of the time without supervision, and I want to be able
>to call up from other places and log in.

Well, in that case, AUX: won't do it for you. You might want to take a look at
ROBBS, which consists of a couple of modules that allow you to do some neat
things with the serial port and/or screen. SerMod will attach the serial port
to another program or to an ARexx script, and allows changing communication
paramters 'on the fly'. You could use SerMod and a script to implement a full
BBS, with 'escape to shell' for designated users, with or without password
protection. ROBBS was posted to comp.sys.amiga.sources and binaries a few
months ago. It can also be found on Compuserve, in LIB 4 of Amigatech.

-larry

--
Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (08/09/90)

For some reason, I thought the command to start a remote serial shell
was:

Newshell AUX: AUX:

(for input and output?  maybe it's only ARP that needs this)

Haven't got my terminal anymore, so I can't remember for sure.

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!dvinci!weyr!70!David.Plummer

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (08/11/90)

In article <1990Aug8.033022.2309@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>,
 edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) writes:
>I have my modem set up to autoanswer, and I want to get a SHELL over the
>modem.
>The modem will select the baud rate that the other modem is using, and will
>vary between 300 and 2400 bps.
     Try getting a copy of GETTY (it's with UUCP V1.06 distribution). It will
answer the phone, request a login, and run whatever programme you request it
to run. This should work with a script as well (don't forget to set the script
bit - this will require V1.3, but then again, so does the rest of what you're
trying.) It will also autobaud.
     I'm not sure how Getty will handle having to share the serial port with
a command line, but it's worth a try.
                                                              - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti | Editor: LOW ORBIT Science and Fiction | PLink: Skywise |
| Elfinkind, Unite!  | phoenix@ms.uky.edu  |  phoenix%ms.uky.edu@ukcc.bitnet  |

edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) (08/12/90)

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:

>In article <1990Aug8.033022.2309@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>,
> edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) writes:
>>I have my modem set up to autoanswer, and I want to get a SHELL over the
>>modem.
>>The modem will select the baud rate that the other modem is using, and will
>>vary between 300 and 2400 bps.
>     Try getting a copy of GETTY (it's with UUCP V1.06 distribution). It will
>answer the phone, request a login, and run whatever programme you request it
>to run. This should work with a script as well (don't forget to set the script
>bit - this will require V1.3, but then again, so does the rest of what you're
>trying.) It will also autobaud.

I am using GETTY, but what I need is a way to get the shell to run on
the serial port at the speed of the login.  GETTY does autobaud, but I
need the script that GETTY executes to give me a shell to get the shell
to run at the correct speed.  By default, AUX: uses the preferences setting,
not the setting that GETTY has autobauded to.

>     I'm not sure how Getty will handle having to share the serial port with
>a command line, but it's worth a try.

This is not a problem, the problem is above.

rik

Rik Harris - Monash University, Caulfield Campus (was Chisholm Institute)
edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au     <-- what the computer says it is
edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.oz[.au]    <-- SEEMS to work more reliably
Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) (08/13/90)

In article <1990Aug12.113606.15833@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) writes:
>I am using GETTY, but what I need is a way to get the shell to run on
>the serial port at the speed of the login.  GETTY does autobaud, but I
>need the script that GETTY executes to give me a shell to get the shell
>to run at the correct speed.  By default, AUX: uses the preferences setting,
>not the setting that GETTY has autobauded to.
     OK; cheap and dirty solution. AUX: will also use a value set up in the
mountlist. Try setting up three or four devices which are clones of AUX: but
expecting different baud rates. (I think you can do this...) Have three or
four different login names, one for each baud rate. Have each run a different
script that executes a different AUX: clone - one with the appropriate
corresponding baud rate.
     Yeah, it's grody. But it might work.
     If you can't clone AUX: for some reason, then an even cheaper and
dirtier way would be to save four different preferences files, with the
only difference being the baud rate. Have four accounts, as above, and
have them execute four different scripts, but instead of those scripts
invoking AUX: clones, have them use... oh hells, I can't remember what
it's called - there's a programme available which will let you swap
preferences files from the command line and which will update the system
as well; it may be on an old Fish disk, can't remember - anyway, use
this to change your preferences to the appropriate baud rate, then invoke
AUX:. That should work, too. (At least, until said programme blows up
under WB2.0 :-) ).
                                                      - R'ykandar.