[comp.sys.amiga] Va. Tech Picks up 3000

mahler@alpine.UUCP (Aaron Mahler) (08/10/90)

  Not sure if this has already been mentioned but Virginia Tech (VPI)
has chosen the Amiga 3000 as their official machine. I'm not sure if this
encompasses all areas of study, etc., but I know several people going to
Tech who are already promised 25-MHz 3000's in their dorm rooms. I've also
heard that this is greatly due to UNIX - does this mean that UNIX will be
available by the beginning of the regular college semester or what?

  I hope events like this, improved marketing, AmigaVision (the term
multimedia pisses me off), and UNIX do something terrific for the Amiga.
I'm a dedicated user who is constantly disgusted when reading Byte and other
magazines. I constantly see "earth-shattering" news about a new OS feature
or program for IBM/Apple which we've had for ages or in some cases, were the
first to invent. Oh well - I'll shut up when I finally see a standard no
frills IBM system REALLY multitask and do it RIGHT. Oh - and Windows 3.0 -
are you not sick of hearing about it already? Jeez....

  'nuff said. I'll get of the soapbox now.

                                                      -AM

     Aaron Mahler - Amiga Enthusiast/Comp. Science Major/C Programmer
     UUCP: ..uunet!tronsbox!alpine!mahler   (Amiga 2500 - UUCP v1.03D)
     UUCP: ..sun!portal!cup.portal.com!dalamar (Use if alpine bounces)
     Internet: alpine!mahler@uunet.UU.NET   (Amiga 2500 - UUCP v1.03D)
     Ever get the feeling MSDOS users are TRAINED to annoy Amiga users?

tdesjardins@lion.uwaterloo.ca (Tim Desjardins) (08/10/90)

In article <2220@alpine.UUCP> mahler@alpine.UUCP (Aaron Mahler) writes:

>  Not sure if this has already been mentioned but Virginia Tech (VPI)
>has chosen the Amiga 3000 as their official machine. I'm not sure if this
>encompasses all areas of study, etc., but I know several people going to
>Tech who are already promised 25-MHz 3000's in their dorm rooms. I've also
>heard that this is greatly due to UNIX - does this mean that UNIX will be
>available by the beginning of the regular college semester or what?

 I beleive all students enrolled in CS at Virginia Tech have to buy 3000s
 running UNIX, at what must be greatly reduced prices. Commodore
 has suposedly shipped the first batch of 3000's already to Virginia.
 Which according Dr. Reubhan ( I'm terrible with names ) means that
 3000s with UNIX have been released, eventhough SYS Vr4 is still in Beta.
 Along with the U of Lowell graphics board I was very impressed by the
 overall speed that this combination provided.

> soapbox removed. <

 I believe this to be true to the best of my knowledge, I picked this
information up at a demonstration of the 3000 and UNIX here at UofW.

--
Tim Desjardins.                       tdesjardins@lion.waterloo.{edu|CA}
"It's better to regret something you have done, then to regret something

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) (08/13/90)

In article <2220@alpine.UUCP> mahler@alpine.UUCP (Aaron Mahler) writes:

>  Not sure if this has already been mentioned but Virginia Tech (VPI)
>has chosen the Amiga 3000 as their official machine. I'm not sure if this
>encompasses all areas of study, etc., but I know several people going to
>Tech who are already promised 25-MHz 3000's in their dorm rooms. I've also
>heard that this is greatly due to UNIX - does this mean that UNIX will be
>available by the beginning of the regular college semester or what?
>
>  I hope events like this, improved marketing, AmigaVision (the term
>multimedia pisses me off), and UNIX do something terrific for the Amiga.
>I'm a dedicated user who is constantly disgusted when reading Byte and other
>magazines. I constantly see "earth-shattering" news about a new OS feature
>or program for IBM/Apple which we've had for ages or in some cases, were the
>first to invent. Oh well - I'll shut up when I finally see a standard no
>frills IBM system REALLY multitask and do it RIGHT. Oh - and Windows 3.0 -
>are you not sick of hearing about it already? Jeez....
>
>  'nuff said. I'll get of the soapbox now.
>
>                                                      -AM
>

>--
>    --------------------------------------------------------------------
>     Aaron Mahler - Amiga Enthusiast/Comp. Science Major/C Programmer
>     UUCP: ..uunet!tronsbox!alpine!mahler   (Amiga 2500 - UUCP v1.03D)
>     UUCP: ..sun!portal!cup.portal.com!dalamar (Use if alpine bounces)
>     Internet: alpine!mahler@uunet.UU.NET   (Amiga 2500 - UUCP v1.03D)
>    --------------------------------------------------------------------
>     Ever get the feeling MSDOS users are TRAINED to annoy Amiga users?

A press release went out last week, which announced that VPI, which for
the last three years has required their students in CS to purchase
Macs running AUX, has changed to Amiga 3000's running beta UNIX V r 4 from
AT&T for their freshmen this fall. We are NOT YET announcing this as a product.

This project with VPI is a part of a special arrangement, and is considered to
be a part of our Beta test for future products.

Copies of the press release can be obtained by writing to my office, or
by sending me e-mail.

Howarrd S. Diamond
Director of Education CBM
1200 Wilson drive