[comp.sys.amiga] Mouse extension cord

jeff@cpoint.clearpoint.com (Jeffrey J. Griglack) (08/01/90)

I tried, at one time, to move my Amiga 2000 box onto the floor, but I found
that the mouse cord was not long enough.  Can I just build a straight
passthrough extention cord for it?  If not, does anybody sell an extension
for it?  And what about the keyboard?  That cable isn't too long and was
pretty streched out, as I remember.

Here's a suggestion for Commadore:
Wouldn't it be nice if the mouse could plug into the base unit or the
keyboard (like on some MAC keyboards and like on the Sun I am using) so
that it would always be near the keyboard if you plug it into the keyboard.
I do not know if the signals exist to allow this, but it would be a nice
feature to build for the future.

I do not mean to start a big discussion/flame war about the signals from
the keyboard so some pseudo-intellect can waste band-width :).  Please
send any replies via e-mail.

Jeff Griglack
jeff@cpoint.clearpoint.com

sheffler@colt.CS.CMU.EDU (Thomas Sheffler) (08/03/90)

An extension cord works just fine.  I bought one at Radio Shack for
$5.95.  It is sold as a "game joystick control extension". Simple
DB9 male and female connectors on each end - all signals passed
through.

The game connector is cheaper than something marketed as a computer
cable, and has a rubber hood to fit around the female socket of the
mouse cord.

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (08/09/90)

Go to Radio Shack and buy a 9 foot joystick extendion cord.  They were
invented for the Atari 2600, but it should work.

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!dvinci!weyr!70!David.Plummer

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (08/14/90)

>In article <6526@cpoint.clearpoint.com> jeff@cpoint.clearpoint.com (Jeffrey J. Griglack) writes:
>
>I tried, at one time, to move my Amiga 2000 box onto the floor, but I found
>that the mouse cord was not long enough.  Can I just build a straight
>passthrough extention cord for it?  If not, does anybody sell an extension
>for it?  And what about the keyboard?  That cable isn't too long and was
>pretty streched out, as I remember.

I bought a 9-pin "monitor extension cable" at a local SoftWarehouse for
around $6.00. It is 6 feet long, and has metal db9 connectors on each
end. I did have to carve a bit of plastic off the female end, so that it
would fit into the hole in mu 2500's case, but other than that, it
works great!

No more fumbling around trying to plug stuff in, or, more likely, shorting
something out!

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        | {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        |