[comp.sys.amiga] Highlighting

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (08/12/90)

I have a small problem with highlighting menus.  I'm working on an
8 color screen, with the lower five colors being grey shades and the
upper three being red, yellow, and green.  The problem is that the
meuns highlight in red and green, which while it is very Christmassy,
is also very ugly.  Is there any way I can correct this?  Do I have
any control over highlight colors?

Secondly, even if you don't have an answer, could someone respond to
me?  Either most of my questions are too tough for anyone to answer,
or my mail is not getting out into the net (or everyone is ignoring me!).

Thanks.

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!dvinci!weyr!70!David.Plummer

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (08/14/90)

In article <759.26C795BA@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) writes:
>I have a small problem with highlighting menus.  I'm working on an
>8 color screen, with the lower five colors being grey shades and the
>upper three being red, yellow, and green.  The problem is that the
>meuns highlight in red and green, which while it is very Christmassy,
>is also very ugly.  Is there any way I can correct this?  Do I have
>any control over highlight colors?

Intuition gives you complement-mode highlighting, which means that
each color is replaced by its binary complement, which for an
eight-color screen means: 0<->7, 1<->6, 2<->5, 3<->4.  So your
easiest option is to re-order your colors or change the upper
three to something more tame.

If that is not possible, Intuition menus support highlighting by
alternate text.  Set the MenuItem->Flags to ITEMTEXT | HIGHIMAGE,
and let ItemFill and SelectFill point to two different IntuiText
structures.  The two IntuiTexts should point to the same text
string, and have a draw-mode of JAM2.  The ItemFill IntuiText
should have a BackPen equal to your window's BlockPen, so its
background matches your menu.  Make its FrontPen something reasonable
(window DetailPen is good).  Then for the SelectFill, use whatever
highlight colors you like).

You will want to use a monospace font for these menus, and pad the
strings of any menu panel to the same length, so they highlight
evenly.

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com