[comp.sys.amiga] Video Interfaces

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (08/14/90)

Just a curiousity question...

I was watching a MAC with a VCR interface recently and was wondering if the
Amiga had a similar system.  I don't remember the name of the MAC interface,
but it displayed a movable window on the MAC's screen.  The image did not take
up the whole screen (I take it a genlock would show up in the background of
the whole Workbench screen), but just a window.  I believe they are talking
about interfacing it with Hypercard (if they haven't done so already) which
would provide a nice video reference for information being examined.  Does the
Amiga have a similar capability?
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

will@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (William Chou) (08/15/90)

In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.90Aug13224345@uunet.UU.NET> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
>Just a curiousity question...
>
>I was watching a MAC with a VCR interface recently and was wondering if the
>Amiga had a similar system.  I don't remember the name of the MAC interface,
>but it displayed a movable window on the MAC's screen.  The image did not take
>up the whole screen (I take it a genlock would show up in the background of
>the whole Workbench screen), but just a window.  I believe they are talking
>about interfacing it with Hypercard (if they haven't done so already) which
>would provide a nice video reference for information being examined.  Does the
>Amiga have a similar capability?
>--
>David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
>uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
>"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

	The Mac with the VCR hookup is called MacVision.  There is an
  article about it in the latest MacWorld.  The Amiga with a genlock
  can not only produce the same effect, but infinitely better and cheaper.
  Since the genlock overlays all colors except color 0, all you would
  have to do is color in the Workbench background with say DropCloth II.
  Turn on Overscan to get rid of the ugly borders.  Guess What!  Since
  every Workbench window is in the background color, you can have lots of
  little TV regions!  And you can grab the title bars and scroll them
  around.  Now we can tell those NeXT guys about our transparent windows! :-)

Now I gotta go make me a little TV icon to pop open those little TV windows!

    // "Only Amigas    Be Excellent to Yourself,        And most of all...
\\ //     Make It   And Be Excellent to Eachother.  Be Excellent to Your Amiga!
 \X/     Possible"          - Bill & Ted             will@cunixf.columbia.edu