[comp.sys.amiga] newshell - just what exactly is it?

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (08/13/90)

Again I've stumbled over a question I've already had with 1.3, but since I
used ARP just from the beginning it didn't matter. With 2.0 the "problem"
is again there: what is the NewShell? I can't find a command in the C:
directory, it's not an alias...what is it?

When you issue just a plain newshell command under 2.0, a shell window with
a closing gadget opens. But when you use newshell con:..., there is no
closing gadget. Why?

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (08/15/90)

In article <03760.AA03760@sosaria.imp.com> wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:

>Again I've stumbled over a question I've already had with 1.3, but since I
>used ARP just from the beginning it didn't matter. With 2.0 the "problem"
>is again there: what is the NewShell? I can't find a command in the C:
>directory, it's not an alias...what is it?

"NewShell" is built into the 2.0 Shell.  Type "resident" and you'll
see it listed.

>When you issue just a plain newshell command under 2.0, a shell window with
>a closing gadget opens. But when you use newshell con:..., there is no
>closing gadget. Why?

The con-handler accepts switches to enable this sort of thing.  For
compatibility with old users of the console, it defaults to "no close
gadget".  The 2.0 Shell can handle one, so it asks for one.  Try

	newshell con:0/0/640/100/MyShell/CLOSE

>Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com