[comp.sys.amiga] Supra2400/2.0 Upgrade

richark@mist.cs.orst.edu (Kenny Richards) (08/10/90)

Due to all the specualation on the $40 upgrade charge for Supra's
2400 modem, I thought I would let everybody know just what is involved
and the reason the charge isn't unreasonible.

1.  Your modem processor is replaced with Intels new 2.0 processor. Plus,
    to allow for extra phone number storeage (4 numbers) and the extra setup
    parameters (2 setup's), the Novram needs to be replaced.

2.  In most cases your analog chip, the second in the pair of chips from
    Intel, needs to be replaced.  The analog and processor are two of the
    three most expensive units in the modem, the third is the board itself.

3.  The modem is brought up to factory specs.

4.  This whole process normally takes at least 1/2 hour of bench time and
    you must include shipping in there. (All modems go back UPS)

I think once you look at what is done, the $40 upgrade isn't really that
unreasonable. You are basiclly getting a new modem for $40.

grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) (08/10/90)

In article <19769@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, richark@mist.cs.orst.edu (Kenny Richards) writes:

> Due to all the specualation on the $40 upgrade charge for Supra's
> 2400 modem, I thought I would let everybody know just what is involved
> and the reason the charge isn't unreasonible.

   While the charge may not be unreasonable, in practice this upgrade seems
totally useless!  Storage of 4 phone numbers?  Big deal, we all use terminal
programs for that!  Now, if you could upgrade to MNP, it'd be worth it!

Can anyone see any use for any of these new features??

<*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*>
Steve Snodgrass == The Emerald Warrior == GRX1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu != normal
SUBTEC (Student Union Board Technical Services)    ---====++++ Turbosound
"I personally would have placed the cadaver room at the county morgue ahead of
 OS/2 in the aforementioned category [best operating environment]" -A. Levitan
"The idea that minotaurs could exist is just a bunch of bull!" -me

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (08/11/90)

>I think once you look at what is done, the $40 upgrade isn't really that
>unreasonable. You are basiclly getting a new modem for $40.

But the old modem works perfectly well, and I only know one person who uses
the phone number memory, and I use the same setup that came with the modem,
along with ATM when I first boot the term prog.  What makes this upgrade
worth $40 to >me<?

/********************************************************************
 *      All of the above copyright by the below.                    *
 * Bill Cavanaugh       uunet!tronsbox!bleys                        *
 *  "You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever."  *
 *              Larry Anderson                                      *
 ********************************************************************/

dbk@phx.mcd.mot.com (Dave Kinzer) (08/12/90)

In article <26c33383-2731.1comp.sys.amiga-1@tronsbox.xei.com> bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:

>But the old modem works perfectly well, ...   What makes this upgrade
>worth $40 to >me<?

   Beats me Bill, why'd you ask?

            * * *   Imminent use of deathnet predicted.   * * *             //
Dave Kinzer  (602)897-3085  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!dbk  Opinions are mine. \X/

richark@mist.cs.orst.edu (Kenny Richards) (08/13/90)

> Due to all the specualation on the $40 upgrade charge for Supra's
> 2400 modem, I thought I would let everybody know just what is involved
> and the reason the charge isn't unreasonible.

>   While the charge may not be unreasonable, in practice this upgrade seems
>totally useless!  Storage of 4 phone numbers?  Big deal, we all use terminal
>programs for that!  Now, if you could upgrade to MNP, it'd be worth it!

>Can anyone see any use for any of these new features??

I think you have just hit upon the reason that Supra isn't making a big deal
out of the new processor.  It is simply a upgrade for the Intel chip set
that is used in there modem.

But it is nice to be able to set the dialing speed, but maybe you don't
mind the wait.

rsb@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (R. Scott Bartlett) (08/16/90)

does anyone know if the upgrade fixes the answer tone problem that
the modems have at 2400.  If i remember correctly, the tone produced is
off by 50Hz, so some non-supra modems cannot connect reliably with supra
2400 modems when the supra is not the originating modem.  This is not
a problem that has bitten me, but i'm just curious because i may run
into the problem in the near future.

thanks,

							rsb

--
R Scott Bartlett          "I've been up and down, and up and down the dial, and
rsb@[ccvr1|csc|eceugs|...].ncsu.edu ///    I ain't heard nothing but a bunch of