[comp.sys.amiga] UUCP - can anybody help?

ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS) (08/15/90)

	I'm just trying to set up Amiga UUCP. However I'm having trouble
getting the remote uucico to start. My feed says I have been logging in, but
none of my mail has been sent (either way). Are there any obvious reasons why
this wouldn't be working? I call it up by typing 'uucico -seyrie' (eyrie is the
site of the feed).

	In case it matters - I'm running a 2000 (rev 6.2), GVP 80MB HD, 2Mb
fast ram, and UUCP 1.06D.

				Ian

Ian Rowlands                      | ianr@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (main)
Dept. of Electrical Engineering,  | ianr@gondwana.ecr.mu.oz.au
 (including Computer Science)     | U431EL122@xvax.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
University of Melbourne           | (How can you have a funny quote in only 4 li

guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com (08/16/90)

In article <5073@munnari.oz.au>, ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS)
writes:
|> From: ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS)
|> Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
|> Subject: UUCP - can anybody help?
|>

|> 	I'm just trying to set up Amiga UUCP. However I'm having trouble
|> getting the remote uucico to start. My feed says I have been logging in, but
|> none of my mail has been sent (either way). Are there any obvious reasons
why
|> this wouldn't be working? I call it up by typing 'uucico -seyrie' (eyrie is
the
|> site of the feed).
|>
|> 	In case it matters - I'm running a 2000 (rev 6.2), GVP 80MB HD, 2Mb
|> fast ram, and UUCP 1.06D.
|>
|> 				Ian
|>
|> Ian Rowlands                      | ianr@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (main)
|> Dept. of Electrical Engineering,  | ianr@gondwana.ecr.mu.oz.au
|>  (including Computer Science)     | U431EL122@xvax.ucs.unimelb.edu.au
|> University of Melbourne           | (How can you have a funny quote in only 4
li

Try starting it up with

	uucico -x9 -seyrie

(check the -x9 (debuf level) part in the docs for uucico).

This will produce lots of output so you might redirect it to a file, but should
give you a good idea of whats going on...

--
W. John Guineau   			guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (08/16/90)

In article <14621@shlump.nac.dec.com>, guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com writes:
> In article <5073@munnari.oz.au>, ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS)
> writes:
> |> From: ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS)
> |> 	I'm just trying to set up Amiga UUCP. However I'm having trouble
> |> getting the remote uucico to start. My feed says I have been logging in, but
> |> none of my mail has been sent (either way). Are there any obvious reasons
> why
> |> this wouldn't be working? I call it up by typing 'uucico -seyrie' (eyrie is
> the
> |> site of the feed).
> |>
> |> 	In case it matters - I'm running a 2000 (rev 6.2), GVP 80MB HD, 2Mb
> |> fast ram, and UUCP 1.06D.
> |>
> |> 				Ian
>
> Try starting it up with
>
> 	uucico -x9 -seyrie
>
> (check the -x9 (debuf level) part in the docs for uucico).
>
> This will produce lots of output so you might redirect it to a file, but should
> give you a good idea of whats going on...

The other thing you should verify is that eyrie has your login set up to run
uucico rather than a shell.  This is the most likely candidate -- especially
if you're using the same login name as you used interactively.  If your debug
output shows eryie giving your a shell prompt, tell eyrie's sysop that you need
to have a uucp connection.  Or, as part of your login script, after you send
the password, wait for the shell prompt and, in response, run uucico yourself:

        $ /usr/lib/uucp/uucico

(shown on two lines for clarity).  Be forewarned: it doesn't work on all
systems.

[- O] Rick Stevens
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction."