[comp.sys.amiga] Weather Fax program

mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) (07/31/90)

 In a previous article, stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) writes:
>glenb@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Glen Baker) writes:
>
>>Does anybody out there know of any weather information software/hadware for
>>the Amiga? As an avid windsurfer/flyer/skier/generally outside person I'm

[  Stuff deleted   ]
>Taking another step in data reception, we have a GOES/Polar Orbiter satellite
>reception system in our office that uses an Amiga.  We receive the data
>directly off of the satellites and display it on the Amiga.  There are many
>options concerning this type of system, many of them requiring considerable
>$$$$$.  I am in the process of trying to set up an inexpensive ground
>station at home for polar orbiter reception.  I would be glad to exchange
>info with anyone interested in this project...I KNOW it will not be a simple
>project.

>>In addition, there are several really cool packages for IBM/Mac machines to
>>display weather info that has been tailored to the windsurfer's needs.
>>Is there any way I can fool my Amiga into thinking it's an IBM with a decent
>>monitor??
>
>>..glen "always looking at the sky" baker

Well, I had been planning to tell the world sooner about this, but you know
how things are when schedules pop up.

I have written a program for the amiga that receives, decodes, and displays
weather fax data (wefax) on the amiga.  It is set up to receive the stuff that
is broadcast by the Navy, US weather service, etc.  The program is still not
perfect, but it is bug free and does work.  I have IFF samples if you want to
see.

The following is a list of questions you might have pertaining to this item.

Q: What do you need to receive a wefax picture?

A: First, you need an amiga.  It won't run on anything else.  I have an A2000,
but an A500, A1000, or A3000 should work.  There is a minor cabling change for
the A1000.  The version of the program I have is written for NTSC amigas, but
I can easily modify it for PAL standards if there is a request.
Next, you need a source of the wefax signal.  I have found that a shortwave
radio (radio shack DX-440, Sangean 803, Sony 2010) works quite well for this.
If you have a crummy radio or antenna, you will get crummy pictures.  In general
it works quite well.  I have received good images from Norfolk VA (about 2,000
miles from my house).
Finally, you will need to build a simple circuit (1 chip, about 10 resistors,
4 or 5 caps, and a diode) to interface the earphone output of the radio to the
printer port of the amiga.  The circuit is simple and all parts are available
from any Radio Shack store or other source.  Total cost shouldn't exceed $25,
much less if you have a junk box or know where to shop.
You will also need my program.  I will give you a copy for the asking via
e-mail.

Q:  What kind of output does the program make?

A: Images are produced on a custom screen on the amiga.  Images are set up
so that they are shades of grey, just like they are sent.  I allow the user
to select 2, 4, 8, or 16 colors.  You can also set the size of the image from
640 pixels across to 1024 pixels across and 400 to 1024 pixels vertically.
Using the mouse, you can 'slide' the image around on the screen to look at any
part of it.  If you have a graphics printer supported by a Preferences printer
driver, you can dump the entire image to paper, grey scales and all.  I have
not yet written software to save the image as an IFF data file (due to lack of
time), but plan to do this 'some day.'  You can use various IFF screen grabber
programs to capture the visible portion to an IFF disk file.  I don't know of
any program that can grab the entire image, as it is much bigger than a
standard screen.  If you know of a program that can grab a superbitmap in full
size, let me know please.

Q:  How long does it take to get an image?

A:  Images are transmitted at 120 lines per minute, and a transmission lasts
for about 15 minutes.  Some are more, some are less.

Q:  Gee Dave, this sounds great! What's wrong with the current program?

A:  The program doesn't seem to be able to detect the proper signals that
signify the upper left corner of a transmission.  You can start image
reception manually via the Intuition menus or shortcut keys I have installed.
You can use the arrow keys at the end of the program to 'rotate' the image
from left to right so that it is properly framed on the screen.  These two
additions allow you to receive and correct images.  The program also does not
receive in the proper aspect ratio, as far as I can tell.  It appears that
images are stretched in the vertical direction.  I plan to fix this 'some day'.
The program also tends to write over any Intuition menus you pull down in the
screen.  No harm done, just looks kind of funny.  I had to do this to get the
amiga to make the image fast enough (ever tried to write 2048 pixels in 3 or
4 bit planes every second?  It takes some CPU time!  Even more if you correct
for menus).  This problem can be fixed or avoided if I get more time, but isn't
a high priority.  As stated above, the program does not save or recall the
image to disk.  The program also aborts (but no guru!) if you try to size
a screen bigger than available memory in some cases.  It doesn't (and probably
won't ever) run from WorkBench.  The program only receives FM encoded images,
which means not satellite tranmissions yet.  There is a simple circuit change
(just another chip!) that converts the AM signal to FM for the program, but
I don't have a radio capable of receiving the proper signals.  Some day, I hope
to change that.  If you have an interest, I will work with you to develop a
satellite image reception capability.

Q:  What other cool features have you included?

A:  There are options that allow the user to set the grey scale levels, screen
size (640 or 320 across, 200 or 400 down), image size, and a neat little
spectrum analyzer function that graphically displays the incoming frequencies
as a histogram.   The program actually measures the period of each incoming
cycle of the input to display the picture, so I threw in the code to display
the frequency spectrum of the same input.  If you add a microphone (and I have
done it) you can whistle or blow across a beer bottle and it will display the
tones created.  It's kind of neat.

Q:  Does it multitask?

A:  But of course!  It works better if you have more memory (at least 512 K of
chip RAM is recommended, plus some Fast RAM)  But it will allow you to size the
screen to the limit of what your machine contains.

Q:  How do I get this program and the available docs?

A:  e-mail me at:
     mcmahan@netcom.com

or reply to this message.  I own the program, but you can use it or give it
away at no charge.  Sorry, no source code.  The available docs are a bit rough
around the edges, but you can always e-mail me with questions.

   -dave

graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu (JIM GRAHAM) (07/31/90)

In article <11201@netcom.UUCP>, mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) writes...

>or reply to this message.  I own the program, but you can use it or give it
>away at no charge.  Sorry, no source code.  The available docs are a bit rough
>around the edges, but you can always e-mail me with questions.
>

>   -dave

I can't reply or mail you directly, so I'm forced to followup here.

I too am very interested in this software.

Would you be kind enough to email it to me as well?

Use any of the addresses in my .signature below.

BTW: I have tried email to you with the following paths:

     mcmahan@netcom.com
     mcmahan@netcom.UUCP

     Neither seems to work.  Can you provide alternatives?

Thanks,
Jim

-> ->Disclaimer: IMHO, all of my opinions belong to ME.<- <-
| Bitnet:   GRAHAM@IUCF.BITNET                             |
| Internet: graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu                  |
| UUCP:     dolmen!graham@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu             |
| BBS:      The PORTAL DOLMEN, (812) 334-0418, 24hrs.      |
|__________________________________________________________|

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (08/02/90)

Dave's work sounds neat, and I plan to try to get a copy of the
program.  However, for those who want to throw some money at the
problem and also would like to have a nice ham slow scan system,
you might check out a hardware/software Amiga-specific system
sold by AEA (Advanced Electronic Applications???) in Lynnwood, WA.
I saw it demoed at a local Amiga users group meeting and was
quite impressed, though a little discouraged at the $300 price tag.
Not that it isn't worth it, but it was just more than I wanted to
get into.

Usual disclaimer:  I'm not associated w/AEA, and only saw it demoed...

Tom Bruhns
tomb%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/04/90)

Me too.... My mail never seemed to reach you.

I would like the program also, if you could send it to the e-mail
address below.

Also, I would be very willing to pay shareware fees, if they would
help get new features added, such as saving to IFF, proper scaling,
and auto-detect of picture start.  :-)

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

aleneis@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tony Leneis) (08/04/90)

I would also like the WEFAX program.  Could you please e-mail it to
aleneis@jarthur.claremont.edu?  Thanks.

Tony Leneis
aleneis@jarthur.claremont.edu
aleneis@hmcvax.bitnet

paul@wa1omm.UUCP (Paul MacDonald) (08/05/90)

>In article <5160102@hplsla.HP.COM> tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) writes:
>Dave's work sounds neat, and I plan to try to get a copy of the
>program.  However, for those who want to throw some money at the
>problem and also would like to have a nice ham slow scan system,
>you might check out a hardware/software Amiga-specific system
>sold by AEA (Advanced Electronic Applications???) in Lynnwood, WA.
>I saw it demoed at a local Amiga users group meeting and was
>quite impressed, though a little discouraged at the $300 price tag.
>Not that it isn't worth it, but it was just more than I wanted to
>get into.
>
>Tom Bruhns
>tomb%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com

I have this gem. It is quite remarkable. The interface allows for
connection of a telephone line, five radio or tape inputs, tape output,
radio audio and PTT outputs, and Amiga audio input. Black Belt Systems'
AVT_Master software comes with the interface and allows software
selectable control of the inputs. It will automatically determine the
mode of SSTV and display the received picture in B&W or Color (55
different SSTV modes). It also allows transmission between two AVT's of
high-res and HAM pictures in just 90 seconds with results that are
amazing. The nice thing about the package is AEA provides great support,
as well as Black Belts Systems. Ben Williams at BBS supplies free
updates of the software. I have recorded some excellent GOES weather
satellite images in grey-scale using this hardware.
--

                                /\  /\
                               //\\//\\

Mike.Wilson@p11.f51.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Wilson) (08/06/90)

This reply comes (I hope) via FidoNet.  I'd very much like a copy of your WeFax stuff, and will try to arrange contact with a local person who has reached much the same point you have.  If c.s.a. reply fails, try BitNet "wilson@usask.ca" or snail-mail to M.R. Wilson, Dept. of Geography, U. of S., Saskatoon SK, CANADA S7N 0W0.

--
Mike Wilson - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!dvinci!weyr!51.11!Mike.Wilson

collins@Alliant.COM (Phil Collins) (08/07/90)

   Everyone says how great it is...How about someone posting ther number so I can find out about it! Thanx

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/09/90)

Dave Mc Mahan:

    I received your mail, but have been totally unable to reply to
it - all paths bounce.   :-(   Could you supply your USPS address
so I can send you a disk (disks) for your weather program?

                                              Thanks,

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

erick@CSUFresno.EDU (Eric Keisler) (08/13/90)

A while back a fellow by the name of Dave Mc Mahan posted info concerning some
Amiga WEFAX software he was willing to send to those interested.  Unfortunatly
his UUCP based mail address is unreachable (by me anyway) and I'm forced to
post this request on CSA (sorry folks!).  Anyway Dave, if you're out there,
please send me your WEFAX stuff.  Send it to:

   erick@csufres.CSUFresno.EDU

Thanks!
---
eric keisler, csu fresno

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (08/16/90)

In article <1990Aug13.164547.23772@CSUFresno.EDU> erick@CSUFresno.EDU (Eric Keisler) writes:
>A while back a fellow by the name of Dave Mc Mahan posted info concerning some
>Amiga WEFAX software he was willing to send to those interested.  Unfortunatly
>his UUCP based mail address is unreachable (by me anyway) and I'm forced to
>post this request on CSA (sorry folks!).  Anyway Dave, if you're out there,

Me too.  Please mail to my address in the sig
Steve		email: Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM	803-791-7054
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400