[comp.sys.amiga] Settling up Dnews

Eric.Edwards@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) (08/08/90)

Settling up Dnews

I'm still haveing trouble setting up Dnews.  I've tried

1)      hierarchical format
                comp.sys.amiga -> comp/sys/amiga with amiga being
                        a directory containing news files.
2)      non hierarchial format
                comp.sys.amiga directory
3)      straight file
                comp.sys.amiga file

Every time, Dnews churns the disk and then prints "couldn't find any news!"

I went through the complete slow setup for a two floppy system.
Can someone maybe send me a directory of their news directory
        as in dir UUNEWS:* all

                                <<<Thanks>>>

                                Eric Edwards
                        Eric.Edwards@samba.acs.unc.edu
                "Hanging out at Samba, desperately seeking a 3090"

rea@AntHill.UUCP (Robert E. Anderson) (08/10/90)

>In article <756@beguine.UUCP> Eric.Edwards@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) writes:
>Settling up Dnews
>
>I'm still haveing trouble setting up Dnews.  I've tried
>
>1)      hierarchical format
>                comp.sys.amiga -> comp/sys/amiga with amiga being
>                        a directory containing news files.
>2)      non hierarchial format
>                comp.sys.amiga directory
>3)      straight file
>                comp.sys.amiga file
>
>Every time, Dnews churns the disk and then prints "couldn't find any news!"
>
>I went through the complete slow setup for a two floppy system.
>Can someone maybe send me a directory of their news directory
>        as in dir UUNEWS:* all
>
>                                <<<Thanks>>>
>
>                                Eric Edwards
>                        Eric.Edwards@samba.acs.unc.edu
>                "Hanging out at Samba, desperately seeking a 3090"

The answer to this problem is simple, if you have everything else set up
properly you should:

edit your "uulib:NewsGroups" file and remove the blasted :'s
then delete your name.dnewsrc & name.dnewskl files.
Now you too should have newsgroups other than "junk".

Does Matt Dillon know about this bug, I though I must have missed the
post during one of my catchup on all newsgroup fits.  Guesse that's
why he left "c" out of dnews ;)

You may have a problem different than this since I had all my news,
it was just in a "junk" directory. (I think this is the rejects directory
refered to in the docs.)

Robert E. Anderson                    From the Ant Hill
Research Computing Center             unhd.unh.edu!AntHill!rea
Durham NH 03824                       Amiga 500 UUCP / Dillon
"Welcome my son, welcome to the machine." - Pink Ployd

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (08/16/90)

>In article <rea.2078@AntHill.UUCP> rea@AntHill.UUCP (Robert E. Anderson) writes:
>>In article <756@beguine.UUCP> Eric.Edwards@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) writes:
>>Settling up Dnews
>>
>>I'm still haveing trouble setting up Dnews.  I've tried
>>
>>1)      hierarchical format
>>                comp.sys.amiga -> comp/sys/amiga with amiga being
>>                        a directory containing news files.
>>2)      non hierarchial format
>>                comp.sys.amiga directory
>>3)      straight file
>>                comp.sys.amiga file
>>
>>Every time, Dnews churns the disk and then prints "couldn't find any news!"
>>
>>I went through the complete slow setup for a two floppy system.
>>Can someone maybe send me a directory of their news directory
>>        as in dir UUNEWS:* all
>>
>>                                <<<Thanks>>>
>>
>>                                Eric Edwards
>>                        Eric.Edwards@samba.acs.unc.edu
>>                "Hanging out at Samba, desperately seeking a 3090"
>
>The answer to this problem is simple, if you have everything else set up
>properly you should:
>
>edit your "uulib:NewsGroups" file and remove the blasted :'s
>then delete your name.dnewsrc & name.dnewskl files.
>Now you too should have newsgroups other than "junk".
>
>Does Matt Dillon know about this bug, I though I must have missed the
>post during one of my catchup on all newsgroup fits.  Guesse that's
>why he left "c" out of dnews ;)
>
>You may have a problem different than this since I had all my news,
>it was just in a "junk" directory. (I think this is the rejects directory
>refered to in the docs.)

Another problem could be your assigns. 1.06 is VERY pickey about them.

If I assign something to USERNANE, then dnews produces exactly the
same symptoms (can't find news).

My guess is that if dnews finds any assigns that would normally be
found in s:UUConfig, then it ignores s:UUconfig completely!

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovich

mstgil@supernet.haus.com (Marc Ph. A. J. St.-Gil) (08/17/90)

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) writes:

   [ stuff deleted ]

>Another problem could be your assigns. 1.06 is VERY pickey about them.

>If I assign something to USERNANE, then dnews produces exactly the
>same symptoms (can't find news).

>My guess is that if dnews finds any assigns that would normally be
>found in s:UUConfig, then it ignores s:UUconfig completely!

If you'll check your docs, you'll see that this is documented.  Use UULIB:Config
instead.

Marc St.-Gil
--
Marc St.-Gil: Harris Adacom Corporation / 16001 Dallas Pkwy. / Dallas, TX 75248
Internet: mstgil@supernet.haus.com or mstgil@supernet.lonestar.org