[comp.sys.amiga] CDTV disk

trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) (08/02/90)

While pondering all the information that will open up when an Amiga optical
disk becomes available(RSN), I wondered what I could possible want that
would fill up an disk.  Let's think real hard.  What is probably an Amiga
owners greatest resource for PD, Shareware programs?
What would fill up approximately 400 or the 800normal disk space of an
optical disk?  (assuming a fall release)

Now, the final question is...

Will there be a FredFish optical disk?  (Needs a catchy name)

Think about it, no more looking through the back of a magazine for titles,
a reduction in c.s.a traffic for FTP sites of fish disks,
code examples at your typing finger tips,
games galore!

And only with Amiga.

Jerry J. Trantow          | A basic premise is an absolute that permits no
1560 A. East Irving Place | co-operation with its antithesis and
Milwaukee, Wi 53202-1460  | tolerates no tolerance.
(414) 289-0503            |                           Ayn Rand

vilkas@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Jhary a Conel) (08/06/90)

trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) writes:

>Now, the final question is...

>Will there be a FredFish optical disk?  (Needs a catchy name)

I think AQUARIUM is already the name of a BBS or ftp site that stores the
disks, but I think it would be a good name.

Or Oceanarium....or Bathosphere (no? ... I don't think so either)

Let's see who comes up with the best idea, and we can go and tell
Fred that he MUST do it and it MUST be called such and such.

>Jerry J. Trantow          | A basic premise is an absolute that permits no

Jhary

will@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (William Chou) (08/06/90)

In article <18152@ultima.cs.uts.oz> vilkas@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Jhary a Conel) writes:
>trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) writes:
>
>>Now, the final question is...
>>Will there be a FredFish optical disk?  (Needs a catchy name)
>
>I think AQUARIUM is already the name of a BBS or ftp site that stores the
>disks, but I think it would be a good name.
>
>Let's see who comes up with the best idea, and we can go and tell
>Fred that he MUST do it and it MUST be called such and such.
		^
	Yes, Fred will do our bidding!  (Evil Laugh :-))

   How about Commodore come up with a complete Amiga Update package
	including 2.0, a CD-ROM drive, and "The Fish Tank" (simple, elegant)
	and call it "Fish 'n Chips" ?

    // "Only Amigas    Be Excellent to Yourself,        And most of all...
\\ //     Make It   And Be Excellent to Eachother.  Be Excellent to Your Amiga!
 \X/     Possible"          - Bill & Ted             will@cunixf.columbia.edu

trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) (08/06/90)

In article <18152@ultima.cs.uts.oz> vilkas@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Jhary a Conel) writes:
>trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) writes:
>>Now, the final question is...
>>Will there be a FredFish optical disk?  (Needs a catchy name)
>
>I think AQUARIUM is already the name of a BBS or ftp site that stores the
>disks, but I think it would be a good name.
>
>Let's see who comes up with the best idea, and we can go and tell
>Fred that he MUST do it and it MUST be called such and such.
>
>Jhary
Now hold on just a second.  Fred has done a great deal already!  The last
thing that I want to see come out of this discussion is a loud chorus of
whining about how we MUST have it, because we WANT it, we NEED it, and of
course it better be free.

Rather I would like to see discussion of all the possible ways it could
be used to save ti, effort, and ultimately $$$.  Then the idea has
merit and someone (maybe Fred, maybe CBM, maybe some enterprizing
individual) will see that it is worth the investment and risk.

Jerry J. Trantow          | I swear by my life and my love of it,
1560 A. East Irving Place | that I will never live for the sake of another man,
Milwaukee, Wi 53202-1460  | nor ask another man to live for mine.
(414) 289-0503            |                          Ayn Rand

vilkas@ultima.cs.uts.oz (Jhary a Conel) writes:

>trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) writes:

>>Will there be a FredFish optical disk?  (Needs a catchy name)

>I think AQUARIUM is already the name of a BBS or ftp site that stores the
>disks, but I think it would be a good name.

This isn't that great but it's a start:

Optical---> Optic ---> Eye, so how about ...

Fish Eye?

Also fisheye lenses are used to make pictures that contain a lot more info than
normal.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

jeh@athena.sisd.kodak.com (Ed Hanway) (08/07/90)

trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) writes:
>Now hold on just a second.  Fred has done a great deal already!  [...]

>[...] the idea has
>merit and someone (maybe Fred, maybe CBM, maybe some enterprizing
>individual) will see that it is worth the investment and risk.

My feelings exactly.  However, I would hope that if anyone does this for
profit, that Fred should get some benefit from this, too.  Whether or not
Fred has a compilation copyright on his library, I think that for his
effort in maintaining the library (for how long now, nearly 5 years?)
he deserves some of the rewards.

Of course, in case you can't tell, I think a Fish CD-ROM would be a great
success. Every users group, every university Amiga lab, every commercial
developer, every mass storage nut in the world should have one.
--
Ed Hanway
(speaking for myself, not my employer)

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (08/08/90)

In article <5583@uwm.edu>, trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) writes:
>>Let's see who comes up with the best idea, and we can go and tell
>>Fred that he MUST do it and it MUST be called such and such.
>>
>>Jhary
> Now hold on just a second.  Fred has done a great deal already!  The last
> thing that I want to see come out of this discussion is a loud chorus of
> whining about how we MUST have it, because we WANT it, we NEED it, and of
> course it better be free.

I agree. In a community of nearly 2,000,000 people, I think Fred has done
MUCH more than his share of the chores.

Regards Alan

king@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug6.201001.7113@sisd.kodak.com> jeh@athena.sisd.kodak.com (Ed Hanway) writes:
>trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) writes:
>>Now hold on just a second.  Fred has done a great deal already!  [...]
[and so on about a Fish CD-Rom]

There would seem to be inexpensive places to get such a CD made. Optical
Media International, Los Gatos, is offering Mac owners whow purchase
SoundTools a chance to get 1000 CD-ROMs pressed for $2000. $199 to transfer
audio from DAT to CD-ready format. Disc artwork is available for $99.
Anyone in the Los Gatos area care to call 408-395-4332 (or elsewhere in USA
(which I am not) phone 800-DISC-OMNI) and ask about an Amiga CD-ROM?

I'll send $5 (US currency) to anyone willing to undertake such a project.

PS. I have no affiliation whatsoever with the above mentioned company.
--
                       Se non e` vero, e` ben trovato
     ...{utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!dretor!king        king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca

joseph@valnet (Joseph Hillenburg) (08/09/90)

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

> In article <5583@uwm.edu>, trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) writes:
> >>Let's see who comes up with the best idea, and we can go and tell
> >>Fred that he MUST do it and it MUST be called such and such.
> >>
> >>Jhary
> > Now hold on just a second.  Fred has done a great deal already!  The last
> > thing that I want to see come out of this discussion is a loud chorus of
> > whining about how we MUST have it, because we WANT it, we NEED it, and of
> > course it better be free.
>

> I agree. In a community of nearly 2,000,000 people, I think Fred has done
> MUCH more than his share of the chores.
>
> Regards Alan

I agree too. Fred has done enough. Let CBM worry about it. If CBM gave a
Fish CD with their CD-ROM drive, I would buy it just for the Fish disk.

-Joseph Hillenburg
InterNet: joseph@valnet                         UUCP: iuvax!valnet!joseph
PC-Link: Joe Hillenburg             Most other systems: Joseph Hillenburg
Don't buy a computer unless it's an Amiga - Me - AMIGA RULES! - AMIGA RUL

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (08/10/90)

In article <5508@uwm.edu> trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) writes:
>While pondering all the information that will open up when an Amiga optical
>disk becomes available(RSN)
[...]
>Now, the final question is...
>
>Will there be a FredFish optical disk?  (Needs a catchy name)

"Moby Disk"?
--
   >>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<<     | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
"Spontaneous human combustion - what luck!"| Apollo Computer (Hewlett-Packard)

ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Alan Gerber) (08/10/90)

In article <4c1a0d9e.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:
>>Now, the final question is...
>>
>>Will there be a FredFish optical disk?  (Needs a catchy name)
>
>"Moby Disk"?
>--
I like it!
And could you get automatic updates by subscribing to "Fresh Fish"?

bdraschk@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Bernd Raschke) (08/10/90)

ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Alan Gerber) writes:

>In article <4c1a0d9e.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:
>>
>>"Moby Disk"?
Moby was a whale, whales are not fishes.... :(
Good idea anyway, but i prefered FishEye!
When this Fish/CD project starts, will we poor Europeans benefit?
At which prize??

--
Bernd 'The Real Arthur!' Raschke           | Only    //
bdraschk@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de |     \\ // Amiga

rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (08/10/90)

In article <1990Aug9.202602.8226@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Alan Gerber) writes:
   >In article <4c1a0d9e.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:
   >>>Now, the final question is...
   >>>
   >>>Will there be a FredFish optical disk?  (Needs a catchy name)
   >>
   >>"Moby Disk"?
   >>--
   >I like it!
   >And could you get automatic updates by subscribing to "Fresh Fish"?

"Disk Instructions" would be written on a Quick Reference Cod.
And in case your CD player isn't spinning at the right speed,
Fred will offer a Disk Tuna!  :-) :-) :-)

Hey, with a last name like Haddock what would you expect???

		-Rusty-

--
Rusty Haddock				DOMAIN:	rusty@mimsy.cs.umd.edu
Computer Science Department		PATH:	{uunet,rutgers}!mimsy!rusty

In <bdraschk.650239580@faui09>, bdraschk@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Bernd Raschke) writes:
>ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Alan Gerber) writes:
>
>>In article <4c1a0d9e.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:
>>>
>>>"Moby Disk"?
>Moby was a whale, whales are not fishes.... :(

Yes, but it'd be a whale of a collection. :-)

-larry

--
Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (08/11/90)

[References to "Fish Eye" and "Aquarium" deleted]

     Fish Eye is logical, but sounds grody; how about something which has
an aura of "class" (even though I think it tastes awful):
     Caviar.
                                                        - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti | Editor: LOW ORBIT Science and Fiction | PLink: Skywise |
| Elfinkind, Unite!  | phoenix@ms.uky.edu  |  phoenix%ms.uky.edu@ukcc.bitnet  |

msiskin@us.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin) (08/11/90)

  One use of the extra space on the CD-ROM would be to provide compressed
versions of the directories on each Fish Disk.  This would permit easy
downloading of complete programs with source and docs.  I am sure that
one large market for the Fish CD-ROM would be for sysops who can then
provide the entire collection for downloading.  Imagine trying to download
a program with many small files one file at a time.

     Marc Siskin
     Michigan Amiga Computer Resource Organization Librarian

In <54117@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) writes:
>In article <1865@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>>>Moby was a whale, whales are not fishes.... :(
>>
>>Yes, but it'd be a whale of a collection. :-)
>
>Boy, is it me, or does this conversation seem like it's floundering...

Yup. I'm going to give up on it. It's giving me a haddock.

-larry

--
Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) (08/13/90)

In article <1865@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <bdraschk.650239580@faui09>, bdraschk@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Bernd Raschke) writes:
>>ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Alan Gerber) writes:

>>Moby was a whale, whales are not fishes.... :(
>
>Yes, but it'd be a whale of a collection. :-)

Boy, is it me, or does this conversation seem like it's floundering...

:-P

AMH

* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!| "Somedays, you just
* Indiana University |-----------------------------------|  can't get rid of a
*    //	 Amiga Man   |   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |  bomb!"
*  \X/	 At Large!   |   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   | - Batman (original)

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (08/14/90)

In article <54117@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) writes:
>Boy, is it me, or does this conversation seem like it's floundering...
>:-P

Holy Mackerel this has got to stop. Not only are these bad puns but they
Smelt bad too!

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (08/14/90)

In article <1869@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>Yup. I'm going to give up on it. It's giving me a haddock.

STOP THESE PUNS, you're giving EVERYONE pains...if it were accidental, that
would be one thing, but (wait for it!) you're doing this on porpoise.

Besides, trying to find a nautical name for the proposed Fish CD collection
is going at it all bass-ackwards (sorry!); what ought to be done instead is
to figure out a way to store data in tartar sauce.  This would also get around
the problem of CD-ROM reader scarcity.

On the other hand, to cut costs a 3" CD could be made with selected disks
compressed onto it (I think they hold about 180 megs), and call it Shrimp...

.                            <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|

In <40593@sequent.UUCP>, cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "I'm Outta Here, Man!" Seaman) writes:
>bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:
>< lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>< >Yup. I'm going to give up on it. It's giving me a haddock.
><
>< STOP THESE PUNS, you're giving EVERYONE pains...if it were accidental, that
>< would be one thing, but (wait for it!) you're doing this on porpoise.
>
>Nah, we're just doing it for the halibut!
>
>(Are we having pun yet?)

Let's kipper going!  Herring these is good for the sole, and I'd rather read
puns than salmon's idea of a flame war.  Trout them out!  Perch in front of
your keyboard and don't be bullheaded.

Sometimes I hake myself. :-)

-larry

--
Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips) (08/14/90)

> In <54117@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) writes:
>In article <1865@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>>>Moby was a whale, whales are not fishes.... :(
>>
>>Yes, but it'd be a whale of a collection. :-)
>
>Boy, is it me, or does this conversation seem like it's floundering...

Larry> Yup. I'm going to give up on it. It's giving me a haddock.

Buoy, oh buoy!  You guys have a lot of gull wasting net.bandwidth on such
tails of dubious porpoise.

Guess I'd better fin'ish before I make a bass of myself.

	I'm trout of here!
--
Chuck Phillips  MS440
NCR Microelectronics 			Chuck.Phillips%FtCollins.NCR.com

" Seaman) (08/15/90)

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:
< lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
< >Yup. I'm going to give up on it. It's giving me a haddock.
<
< STOP THESE PUNS, you're giving EVERYONE pains...if it were accidental, that
< would be one thing, but (wait for it!) you're doing this on porpoise.

Nah, we're just doing it for the halibut!

(Are we having pun yet?)

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |  /o  -- -- --
cseaman@sequent <or>              |||    -- -- -     I'm Outta Here, Man!

aj733@cleveland.freenet.edu (Tim Hnat) (08/15/90)

>ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Alan Gerber) writes:
>
>>In article <4c1a0d9e.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:
>>>
>>>"Moby Disk"?
>Moby was a whale, whales are not fishes.... :(
>Good idea anyway, but i prefered FishEye!

Yeah...but there would a whale of information on a FF/CD...I like
Moby Disk.

[th]

--
,_O  -----------------------------------------------------------------------
  :>    If you think *that's* funny...look in a mirror!

jdickson@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (08/15/90)

        High all!

        The CLI/New Shell environment supports a search path that can be
altered via the 'Path' command. Is there such a way to get Workbench to
follow a similiar convention?

                                                Thanxs, Jeff

~

desmarai@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Stephane Desmarais) (08/16/90)

In article <2686@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>This isn't that great but it's a start:
>
>Optical---> Optic ---> Eye, so how about ...
>
>Fish Eye?
>
>Also fisheye lenses are used to make pictures that contain a lot more info
>than normal.

Sorry, that name is already taken, and for something which has nothing
to do about Fish disks.  It does however relate to the broad view you
need when faced will LOTS of information that you want to correlate
together.  And it does relate to optical/video disks.

Ask martin@iro.umontreal.CA if you want more details.
--
Stephane M. Desmarais       desmarais@iro.umontreal.ca  (le Domaine Canadien)
Departement d'informatique  uunet!mcgill-vision!iros1!desmarais

lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>bdraschk@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Bernd Raschke) writes:
>>ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Alan Gerber) writes:

>>Moby was a whale, whales are not fishes.... :(
>
>Yes, but it'd be a whale of a collection. :-)

There's only one thing I want to call such an archive:

	Mahi Mahi Disk

;-)

Kent, the man from xanth.
(It helps if you say it fast!)

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (08/18/90)

In article <4562@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> jdickson@jpl-mil.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:
>        The CLI/New Shell environment supports a search path that can be
>altered via the 'Path' command. Is there such a way to get Workbench to
>follow a similiar convention?

Yeah.. easy.. With pathman, Bill (AREXX) Hawes' path handler..

I forget the details since they're buried in my startup-sequence
and it's been awhile since that was written.  Basically what pathman
does is let a "device" (one of those "<name>:" names) be a list
of path specifications.  On my system I have C: map to something like

	ram:c,sys:local/c,sys:c

and all the other things like l:, libs:, devs:, fonts: and the like have
a similar list.  This lets me have the stock-standard amiga-dos
stuff but to overlay it with my own stuff at will.

You can also play tricks with file protection so that pieces of that
list are write protected, for instance.  This way a command like
"copy file to c:file" will put it into the first directory in
the c: list which gives write-priveledges.

It works very very nicely and invisibly to almost all uses.  The
only problem I have is remembering to, when editing my startup-sequence,
use the real path-name for it (sys:s/startup-sequence) rather
than s:startup-sequence.  This is because I have write protection
on that part of s:'s list turned off and when I write the file out
it ends up in sys:local/s and isn't found on reboot.

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>