[comp.sys.amiga] Recovering deleted AmigaDOS files?

jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) (08/17/90)

I know that this probably ranks up there as the 3rd most often asked
question for Amiga, but I don't know the answer (and I've read through
all my "Tips and Tricks" and "AmigaDOS for the mentally handicapped" books).

I admit it, I deleted a file that I would have preferred to keep. Is there
any way of getting it back?

I know the old file name, and some of its contents (should I need to do
any searching). I also have various "diskzap" utilities. I haven't done
any writing on the affected disk since the file was lost.

Please, any suggestions? Comments about making regular backups will
be cheerfully accepted through clenched teeth.

					Jordan
--
			PCS Computer Systeme GmbH, Munich, West Germany
	UUCP:		pyramid!pcsbst!jkh jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (08/17/90)

In article <JKH.90Aug16180508@meepmeep.pcs.com> jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com
(Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:

>I admit it, I deleted a file that I would have preferred to keep. Is there
>any way of getting it back?

     Get a copy of Dave Haynie's DiskSalv.  I think the latest
version is 1.42.  It does a great job of recovering deleted files,
clobbered disks, etc.  Another program you might want in your
arsenal is Werner Gunther's FixDisk, which, although designed for
floppies, has fixed up my hard disk a number of times.  If one of
these programs can't save your ass, the other one likely can.
Either one might lock up part way through if things are really
bad - just re-boot and try again, and eventually they'll straighten
out just about anything.

     These programs are probably available on Fish disks.
Their authors deserve a great round of applause.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
"Take him to the interrogation room and WASH HIS HAIR!"
        -- Calvin and Hobbes

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (08/17/90)

In article <JKH.90Aug16180508@meepmeep.pcs.com> jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:

> I admit it, I deleted a file that I would have preferred to keep. Is there
> any way of getting it back?
>
> I know the old file name, and some of its contents (should I need to do
> any searching). I also have various "diskzap" utilities. I haven't done
> any writing on the affected disk since the file was lost.

You might try the PD utility, FixDisk (which is, I believe, on Fish
Disk #223).  I once accidentally deleted all the files in my s:
directory, and FixDisk recovered them all for me.

--

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

ARPA:  sdl@mbunix.mitre.org
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
				-- J. Napier (a.k.a. "The Joker")

cbownds@pro-party.cts.com (Clayton Bownds) (08/18/90)

There is a PD utility from Dave Haynie called DiskSalv that will recover ALL
deleted files provided they haven't been overwritten. DiskSalv is available on
FredFish and most Amiga BBSs.
-Clayton Bownds