[comp.sys.amiga] More

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers.) (04/10/88)

     I was using the version of more that comes on WB 1.3 and can not
 explain what happened.   It would spell some of the words wrong!
 It turned "today" into "tooday", and "that" into "tt."  I was using it
 to show my friends english paper to him.   He said those mistakes were
 not in his document and that it was displaying it wrong.   I explained
 to him that computers just print what is there and that if more showed
 "tooday", then he spelled it wrong.   He said I was wrong, so I bet him
 money.   I lost.   Both type and a word processor showed it corectly.

    The paper was written with Scribble!, so maybe it had control characters
in it or something, but I dont think so.

						Any ideas?
							--Rob.

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------*\
|Robert Silvers.                                                           |
|Box #1003 University of Lowell.                                           |
|Lowell Ma, 01854                                                          |

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (04/10/88)

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers.) wrote:
>     I was using the version of more that comes on WB 1.3 and can not
> explain what happened.

There is no WB 1.3.  If you mean a pre-release (TEST) copy, how did
you happen to come across this program?

I'm assuming of course that you are a registered developer with CBM
and you know the normal channels for reporting bugs and/or asking
questions about confidential, preliminary and proprietary material.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers.) (04/11/88)

In article <6068@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers.) wrote:
>>     I was using the version of more that comes on WB 1.3 and can not
>> explain what happened.
>
>There is no WB 1.3.  If you mean a pre-release (TEST) copy, how did
>you happen to come across this program?
>

>..Bob
>--

   Oops, what I meant was the version of More that comes on the Extras 1.2
disk.  The problem ended up being the result of non-printable characters
in the file.

						--Rob.

Robert Silvers.
Box #1003 University of Lowell.
Lowell Ma, 01854
(617) 452-8823 Rm. 322     "Live free or live in Massachusetts."

smaug@eneevax.UUCP (Kurt J. Lidl) (04/12/88)

In article <6065@swan.ulowell.edu> rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers.) writes:

>     I was using the version of more that comes on WB 1.3 and can not
> explain what happened.   It would spell some of the words wrong!
> It turned "today" into "tooday", and "that" into "tt."
> He said those mistakes were
> not in his document and that it was displaying it wrong.   I explained
> to him that computers just print what is there and that if more showed
> "tooday", then he spelled it wrong.   He said I was wrong, so I bet him
> money.   I lost.   Both type and a word processor showed it corectly.

	Actually, the version of More (called Less) that is distributed
with WB1.2 (from my 2000) is brain-damaged also.  It has this tendency to
repeat characters and the part that really ticks me off is that it almost
always repeats the last line of the text file twice.
	I have come to the conclusion that the program does not correctly
fetch and display the text, but gets confused in the process.  Thus,
my solution: Use a different text viewer.  I personally use a
share-ware program called "Blitz!" that is simply wonderful.  Has a
seperate screen, scrolls back and forward in a document and is
completely mouse-driven, though you have keyboard equivilents for the
important functions.

>|Robert Silvers.                                                           |

Kurt Lidl  (smaug@eneevax.umd.edu)

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (08/15/90)

Can I somehow specifiy another windowsize than the default to More by
adding a tooltype?

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

In <oNR3N9w162w@valnet.UUCP>, joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph Hillenburg) writes:
>wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:

>> Can I somehow specifiy another windowsize than the default to More by
>> adding a tooltype?
>
>No, but I think you can use DiskX to fix it.

A better choice would be NewZap or something like CEDPro.  NewZap is an
ASCII/hex file editor, and CEDPro handles the ASCII parts of a file with ease.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph Hillenburg) (08/18/90)

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:

> Can I somehow specifiy another windowsize than the default to More by
> adding a tooltype?
>

> --
> ------------------------------------
> Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com
> "Justice is the possession and doing
> of what one is entitled to" - Platon

No, but I think you can use DiskX to fix it.

* -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm) * "Those are't bugs!"               *
* Addresses:                         * "Just undesirable features!"-Me   *
*      UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph * Call CompSci BBS * 1-812-873-440  *
*      MAIL: 1709 West Gray          *     3/12/24      *  10pm-6am EST  *
*      MAIL: Bloomington, Indiana    *************************************
*      MAIL: 47401 United States     *       Mail replies requested      *