[comp.sys.amiga] Converging systems

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (08/13/90)

I saw this in the July issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal, relating to the Mac System
7 o/s.

". Message passing.  Changes to the Event Manager will allow messages to be
passed between applications rather than just within.

 . AppleEvents.  This is an Apple-defined set of standard messages that all
applications will be expected to handle and that all are permitted to send.
Message passing between applications will not be limited to AppleEvents, but
AppleEvents will provide, in effect, a language for interapplication
communication.  It will also serve as the enabling technology for a user
scripting language.  The user scripting language will allow users to control
applications and the system itself with unprecedented (for the Macintosh)
flexibility and power, with a single, universal interface."

It gets to look like an Amiga running Arexx, doesn't it?  The main difference
is the phrase "that all are permitted to send".  As the author, Michael
Swaine, notes, "An unanswered message to your spreadsheet application
triggered from within a competitor's word processing application could
conceivably result in a mesage to the user such as 'Sorry.  That spreadsheet
program is to dumb to handle this simple request.  Maybe you should consider
buying our spreadsheet program ...'"

Apple certainly keeps its software suppliers on the straight and narrow.
Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (08/17/90)

This is a repost - I got a curious mailer reply to the original from
amiga-relay, so I don't know how far it went the first time.

[...]

U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (08/18/90)

G'day,

AD> In article <2090@trlluna.trl.oz>, aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan)
AD> writes:
AD>
AD> I saw this in the July issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal, relating to the Mac
AD> System 7 o/s.
AD>
AD> ". Message passing.  Changes to the Event Manager will allow messages to be
me>    [deleted]
AD>  . AppleEvents.  This is an Apple-defined set of standard messages that all
me>    [deleted]

A recent issue of MacWorld (Australia) mentioned that Apple will develop a
compound document archictecture. Sounds like IFF no?

They will also develop image compression techniques (for multimedia real time
video) that compress up to 90% ! That seems designed to catch up to Intel/IBM
DVI technology.

Anything happening along these lines for the Amiga?

AD> It gets to look like an Amiga running Arexx, doesn't it?

The compound document architecture statement made me thing the same thing re:
the Amiga and IFF.

The one minor nit that does (although I try to pretend to myself that it does
not) get to me is that statements from Apple _never_ compare themselves/their
products to CBM/Amiga_products.

They'd prefer to say they've invented multimedia it seems. 1/2 :-)

AD> [deleted]
AD> Apple certainly keeps its software suppliers on the straight and narrow.

Software quality/diversity seems to be improving for the Amiga lately e.g. I
have seen announcements in the last 2 months for dBMAN, DynaCADD, PageStream
(v2.0), ProWrite v3.0 ... and this is on top of CBM's A3000+AmigaDOS 2.0 etc
plus the new Animation/Rendering/Etc/Etc wonderful things at Expos!

:-) {'nuff said!}

AD> Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz

yours truly,
Lou Cavallo.