[comp.sys.amiga] Piracy

coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) (07/23/87)

I think this problem is being looked at the wrong way.  The problem
as I see it is that illegal software copying is looked upon as a
hobby when in reality it is theft.  Every pirate knows what he(she)
is doing is not legal.  They also know that nobody is going to do
anything about it.  Any copy protection scheme you come up with will
be broken.  The harder you make it to break the more pride a pirate
will have in distributing a demonstration of his talents.
Protection is a no win situation in this case because as the schemes
get more complex the problems for legitimate users also rise which
is not a good thing for sales.  And sales lost to pirates look
exactly like sales lost to annoyed customers when your ledger is
openned.  So what solutions are there?  I see two goals that I think
will help the software industry and their customers.  1)  Software
publishers must provide something "extra" for legal owners.  This
can either be in the form of updates, support, or materials that
just cannot be duplicated with a Xerox(tm) machine.  Infocom is a
good example of this.  On the Apple ][ their copy protection could
be broken using the standard disk copy program that comes with every
Apple but all the neat extras packaged with the adventures made
buying the games much more attractive that pirating.  Some of the
extras where also required to get clues for the game.  This is just
a very subtle form of keyword in manual type protection but since it
is a part of the game the annoyance doesn't exist.  2)  The public
must be educated about the crime of software piracy.  I think the
number of pirate BBS's would dwindle quite rapidly if the sysops
knew that getting caught would result in confiscation of computing
equipment, ~$10,000 fine, and maybe a few hundred hours of community
service work.  For this to work we would also have to have some
branch of law enforcement taking this seriously.  Right now we have
local officials saying its an FBI problem and the FBI saying its too
small to mess with and the pirates laughing at everybody.  Maybe we
can fight back by calling up every pirate BBS we can find and
uploading as much crap as possible.  Core dumps would be nice. :-)
Enough ranting for now.  comp.piracy anyone?

Stephen Coy
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!coy

			"Charlie don't surf!"

kruger@whyvax.dec.com (Desperate Drive Mounted to keep Larouche off Ballot) (01/19/88)

Piracy is an issue to Amiga users because we want to see increasing amounts of
software on our machines. Having been told many times "yes, the Amiga is a nice
piece of hardware, but it doesn't have enough software" I am somewhat
sensitive to this as well. The fact that this attitude is largely ignorance-
based is also upsetting.

However, let's not lose perspective. On a cheap machine (and the Amiga is a homecomputer that is quite cheap now (A500) no manufacturer is going to go to the
expense of managing some wild software distribution scheme. It is impractical,
and obnoxious. Occam's razor applies here -- we should use the simplest method
of protecting the user -- ALLOWING THE USER TO COPY THEIR OWN PROGRAM FOR THEIR
OWN USE. Anything else is a poor second, and is not justifiable (although I can
certainly understand the motive of software producers).

While Richard Stallman (of the Free Software Foundation) is a radical going
far beyond my limit, I would say he has the right idea in that piracy should be
stopped by providing a service the pirate needs, such as support. This does not
work for games though. *sigh* there is no answer, it seems.

About video protection: No one has the right to control the airwaves. If those
guys see fit to beam their signal to my backyard, I believe it is my fundamentalright to receive it (I do not own a dish, and probably never will, but I am
deeply offended by the government's intrusion in this area.)

dov

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (01/20/88)

Hey dov (or Defunct Disk Mounted at DEC)

Are you trying to say something of value here??

Did some of your message not get to my machine???

What the HELL does airwave piracy have to do with the
AMIGA computer?
And why should I care if anything goes in your back yard????

And who cares what COLOR Sony disks are???? (from one of your earlier messages.)

Software piracy was gone over and over and over and over ... earlier
so let's not start again!!

Sheese -- some peoples kids!!!!!

Daves

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (01/24/88)

In article <8801181913.AA15773@decwrl.dec.com> kruger@whyvax.dec.com (Desperate Drive Mounted to keep Larouche off Ballot) writes:
>Piracy is an issue to Amiga users because we want to see increasing amounts of
>software on our machines.
[...]

>While Richard Stallman (of the Free Software Foundation) is a radical
>going far beyond my limit, I would say he has the right idea in that
>piracy should be stopped by providing a service the pirate needs, such
>as support. This does not work for games though. *sigh* there is no
>answer, it seems.

>dov

Sure there is.  Many (most?  all?) games lose interest after a while
because it is the same old stuff.  Well designed, most games would be
a driver module plus a scenario data set.  Sell new scenarios cheaply
and conveniently.  Doesn't even matter much if you sell them only to
registered users, or to pirates and all, as long as they provide a
nice cash flow and are cheaper and easier to get than to pirate.  For
examples where this works, look for example at Marauder II, which is
recursive pirating software (pirates itself) but provides a great cash
flow trick through dial up access and credit card number payments.  I
think they just sell their "brainfiles" to registered users, but they
are missing a good bet ... might just as well give the software away
and make the bucks on the brainfiles.  Another, similar example is the
new power filter I got for my aquarium.  They might as well have GIVEN
me the filter device, 'cause at $1.99 per each for filtration inserts
that only last a week, and cost about $0.05 to make, they are getting
rich off my update expenses, far beyond any profit they make on the
original filter sale.

Games that would do well sold this way?  Any Infocom game (they
finished the driver in the stone age, just keep releasing new
scenarios which promptly get pirated like heck, 'cause they go for $40
a throw when they could be distributed at a great profit by wire
priced at $5); Bard's Tale, Faery Tale Adventure, Firepower (Wow!),
Apshi Trilogy, Sindbad, Defender of the Crown, Ractor (insanity
scenarios; should I patent that idea, quick?), Hacker II, any sports
game (distribute the updated stats for current players seasonally),
any text/graphics adventure (e.g., The Pawn, Mindshadow, Arazok's (sp)
Tomb), World Games and Winter Games (they didn't come close to
exhausting the list), Silent Service (more maps, enemy ship types,
different submarines for the player to try out, evolve the torpedoes
as they changed during the war, new ASW strategies of the enemy),
Little Computer People (a new house, a different pet (ferrets,
anyone?)), etc., etc., etc.

The few folks who've tried this make a steady profit selling updates.
If more people tried it, the drivers would still get pirated, but the
profits wouldn't thereby disappear.

Just my opinion, of course.

Kent, the man from xanth (up at last, up at last, oh Lord, we're up at last!)

DAVEA%CERNVM.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (David Almond) (12/09/88)

 While reading this intresting debate about piracy I would like to
throw my tuppence worth. As a computer operator in education (ex) I
had a great deal of trouble getting people to understand copywright
. If there was a class of ten machines sitting in a group and the
lecturer wanted to teach something using product X they usually saw
no reason why they shouldnt buy one product and copy it 10 times.
Despite coming out with all the usual reasons and explanations they
just could not see the problem. Even when buying software, if I was
buying then I would evaluate a site licence or a multi-licence because
thats what I learnt was the right thing to do . The problem became
really intense when you bring in the adult student. You then get the
situation

    A) I like this software I use in class, can I have a copy

    b) Would you like a copy of this software I use at home

AAAAGHHHHHH

  It used to drive me nuts trying to keep the books straight and everyone
though I was on some sort of moral crusade.

 I think we are stuck with the situation where those people who produce
copy protection think they are helping prevent piracy by protecting.

 Us honest users tear out our hair trying to use the software with copy
protection

 And the pirates dont care either way because they dont have the imagination
to realise the damage they do.

 Denmark is the obvious place where a country has been blitzed by people
copying software will nilly and where any honest software vendore wouldnt
go a near with a barge pole because they know there sales are going
to be low and that piracy will do the rest.

 Although I think there are some ideas to beat this thing none will eradicate
the problem until the pirates are made to think about the error of their ways
and this they wont do because they dont have the imagination to care!!!

derek@hsi.UUCP (Derek Lee-Wo) (12/15/88)

I don't have an amiga, but I been reading the messages in this group.
Especially the ones about piracy.

I have seen several suggestions put forward as to how to prevent it. I think
it's useless. Regardless of how stringent the methods, there would always be
someone who can crack it. Once it's been cracked, it would be up on
pirate boards where almost anybody, regardless of their computer knowledge
would have acess to it.

I used to pirate software a while back (I don't do it any more). Most of the
software I pirated was obtained off pirate boards. About 50% of it
originally had some form of copy protection which was cracked.

Why did I do it??. Simply for the fun of it. I would usually play a game
once (I don't like games) and just put the disk aside to collect dust. In
other, it's not as though I was going to buy it in the first place.

The only program I ever used regularly was a Pascal compiler, which I did
buy. All other software usually got used once, or maybe twice if I enjoyed
it.

|Derek Lee-Wo, Health Systems International, New Haven, CT 06511.             |
|E-mail address :- ...!harvard!yale!hsi!derek. Phone :- (203)777-3125.        |

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (12/15/88)

In article <221@hsi86.hsi.UUCP> derek@hsi.UUCP (Derek Lee-Wo) writes:
>I don't have an amiga, but I been reading the messages in this group.
>Especially the ones about piracy.

I do have an amiga, and have been reading the messages in this group.
Except the ones about piracy.

Haven't we beat this subject into the ground *yet again*!  It seems that
this topic is plague that visits our newsgroup with disturbing regularity.
I hope it doesn't spread the oasis in comp.sys.amiga.tech.

The old 'k' key is getting a workout these days..

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) (12/16/88)

In article <3043@haven.umd.edu>, louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
> Haven't we beat this subject into the ground *yet again*!  It seems that
> this topic is plague that visits our newsgroup with disturbing regularity.
> I hope it doesn't spread the oasis in comp.sys.amiga.tech.

Wait  one  second.  Do  you  think  that  all  the  people who read this
news-group are old-timers? I just started reading  comp.sys.amiga  three
weeks  ago.  The topic of piracy interests me, and *I* sure haven't seen
it before. Do you think that this newsgroup is read  by  a  constant  of
users?
--
What about technology, computers, .------------------. J.A.Cisek
nuclear fusion?  I'm terrified of |Spectral Fantasies| jac423@leah.albany.edu

deraadt@xenlink.UUCP (Theo A. DeRaadt) (12/20/88)

In article <1385@leah.Albany.Edu>, jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius A Cisek) writes:
> In article <3043@haven.umd.edu>, louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
> > Haven't we beat this subject into the ground *yet again*!  It seems that
> > this topic is plague that visits our newsgroup with disturbing regularity.
> > I hope it doesn't spread the oasis in comp.sys.amiga.tech.
>
> Wait  one  second.  Do  you  think  that  all  the  people who read this
> news-group are old-timers? I just started reading  comp.sys.amiga  three
> weeks  ago.  The topic of piracy interests me, and *I* sure haven't seen
> it before. Do you think that this newsgroup is read  by  a  constant  of
> users?
  ^^^^^^
> --

Well, I personally think that people leave because of the piracy question.
I've been here for 2 years now, and I myself would welcome the MCIBTYC wars
back anyday, better than this piracy question, and just about as productive.

 <tdr.
_____                 _                   -----------------------------------
  / /            /   / \ _   _      /_/_  Theo de Raadt:      (403) 283-9123
 / /_ _  ___  __/_  /__/ _\  _\  __/ /    Xenlink
/ / /</_(_)  (_/</_/  \_(_/\(_/\(_/_(_/   ..!alberta!calgary!xenlink!deraadt

Consider the following two phrases :

"I killed that person, but I am not guilty of any crime. After all,
 he was going to die someday anyway."

"I stole a copy of this program, but I am not guilty of any crime. After
 all, I never would have purchased it anyway."

The justification for both crimes is unrefutably true. What does that
tell you? It tells you that you aren't debating truth or untruth, you
are debating morals. From my personal perspective, anyone who believes
that either one is ok, has a poor sense of morality. So what ?! As a member
of the society which makes up the USA, I would like to see that society
agrees with me. If they do, we'll through people like this in jail, if
they don't we'll just live with it. The world continues to turn...

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

In article <119399@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
Ummm.. i con't hardly believe that i am acutally
posting something about this never-ending debate.
>Consider the following two phrases :
>
>"I killed that person, but I am not guilty of any crime. After all,
> he was going to die someday anyway."
>
>"I stole a copy of this program, but I am not guilty of any crime. After
> all, I never would have purchased it anyway."
>
>The justification for both crimes is unrefutably true. What does that
>tell you? It tells you that you aren't debating truth or untruth, you
>are debating morals. From my personal perspective, anyone who believes

True everybody is debateing what essentially is
a question of morality.

Some people think it is ok to copy software, some don't.

Most software companies think that copying is bad, therefore
the try copyprotecting their software -- mostly
game software.

Copy protection does:
	1: Angers legitimate users.
	2: Challenges people (hackers) to break the protection, and
	   always (well, usually) eventually succeed
	3: Take time/money for the software company to develope
	4: therefore less effort goes into the product inself
	5: makes the producer feel more secure
	6: Produce lots of noise on this network

Because of 1 and 2, I would think that more software companies
would try something different.

Suggestion number one:
	Perhaps selling software for a reasonable price.
	I do not pirate. I have bought *very* few piece of software. I have
	purchased thing I use, mainly compilers.
	I would like to buy more games + "productivity" software but
	the cost is very prohibitive.
Suggestion number two:
	Provide some sort of useability/playability/bugfree/satisfaction
	guarantee.
	How many other products do you see warnings printed on
	informing the consumer that the manufacturer can in no
	way be held responsible for the functionality of the
	product?

REAL NAME: Joe Porkka   jap@frith.cl.msu.edu

In article <4030@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>True everybody is debateing what essentially is
>a question of morality.
>
>Some people think it is ok to copy software, some don't.

From that point on you missed the point. A society as a whole has
morals, and those morals are written down in the laws they make.
Copying software is undeniably illegal, and by definition, society
as a whole considers it to be immoral.

Be _definition_, anyone breaking the law is antisocial. That's true
if you go 60MPH in a 55MPH zone, or you pirate software.

All the discussion about "Software costs to much" or "I wouldn't have
bought it anyway." stuff is bullshit. You copy software without the
authors permission and you're a crook, period. If you are caught you
can be put into prision, just as easily as if you robbed a bank. Don't
bother trying to convince yourself it was justified, there is no
justification. And don't piss and moan when you get thrown into jail
or have your machine confiscated. No one cares. Just like the highway
patrol doesn't care that you were on a straight road, on a clear day,
with 20 mile visibility.

To the person who walked into the science fiction convention with
all of the pirate software. Call the cops, throw them in jail. Every
person in the room with a disk can be tried and convicted of receiving
stolen property, and the people who put on the convention can just
be convicted of theft. If it is the moral responsibility of every citizen
to obey the laws it is also the moral responsibility to report to the
enforcement arm of society when they are broken.

fors@ndmath.UUCP (Guy Fors) (08/05/89)

Chuck McManis writes:

> From that point on you missed the point. A society as a whole has
> morals, and those morals are written down in the laws they make.
> Copying software is undeniably illegal, and by definition, society
> as a whole considers it to be immoral.
>
> Be _definition_, anyone breaking the law is antisocial. That's true
> if you go 60MPH in a 55MPH zone, or you pirate software.
>
> be convicted of theft. If it is the moral responsibility of every citizen
> to obey the laws it is also the moral responsibility to report to the
> enforcement arm of society when they are broken.

	 Morality???  You really want to put someone with some pirate
software in jail when confessed criminals (like Nixon) are free.  Sure
we need morals but lets start at the top of the pile and work our way
down to Joe Average.  Lets voice our moral opinion and put CEO of
companies that pollute the environment in prision.  Insurance
Companies are some of the biggest crooks ever invented, should they be in
jail as well.  Give your head a shake, if you're that interested in morality
do something about the worst abusers. Until then flush twice before posting
garbage about the evils of software piracy.

Guy Fors

raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) (08/05/89)

In article <119606@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <4030@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:
>
>From that point on you missed the point. A society as a whole has
>morals, and those morals are written down in the laws they make.
>Copying software is undeniably illegal, and by definition, society
>as a whole considers it to be immoral.

	Ummm, excuse me, but laws reflect morality, they are not considered
the definition of morality by society.  The fact that they are usually
created with moral guidelines tends to blur this fact, but there are
numerous laws that have no moral basis whatsoever, and exist solely for
utilitarianist concerns.  If you want to follow this up, though, e-mail me
because the contradictions of legality and morality, though a fascinating
issue, are scarcely the domain of comp.sys.amiga. :-)

>BBe _definition_, anyone breaking the law is antisocial. That's true
>if you go 60MPH in a 55MPH zone, or you pirate software.
>
>or have your machine confiscated. No one cares. Just like the highway
>patrol doesn't care that you were on a straight road, on a clear day,
>with 20 mile visibility.
>
>To the person who walked into the science fiction convention with
>all of the pirate software. Call the cops, throw them in jail. Every
>person in the room with a disk can be tried and convicted of receiving
>stolen property, and the people who put on the convention can just
>be convicted of theft. If it is the moral responsibility of every citizen
>to obey the laws it is also the moral responsibility to report to the
>enforcement arm of society when they are broken.

	Amen to that!  I was out with my mother last night when she did
thirty on a 25 MPH zone.  I pointed this out to her, and all she could say
was "But it's a straight road with 20 mile visibility"  Well, after we got
home I called the cops and turned her straight in, as befits a moral citizen.
Based on my testimony, the judge gave her the strictest judgement possible,
and I slept well, knowing that justice had been done.

	Who could have guessed that my mother was antisocial?  Or, as it
would seem, a large percentage of our population who have been cited with
speeding tickets!

	Most of us are antisocial to some degree.  Many people will break the
law if they cannot conceive of any harm being done, while good comes to them
or others.  Society makes rules which can at times be bad on the micro level
because they were constructed on the macro level.  If you're willing to accept
what the law is as the definition of morality, then maybe you'd be happy in
an ant farm, but individuals have reasoning abilities which they excercise
in the discretion of how the greater good can be acheived.  Whether or not
that includes copying is for the indivdual to decide, but my moral beliefs
are determined by my thoughts and experiences, not by what the majority
believes.

		Antisocial does not necessarily mean antigood!

Russell

"It's just I'm antiwork!"

mjl@ut-emx.UUCP (mjl) (08/05/89)

-
Wow, only 6 months or so since the last piracy "discussion".

Hello, kill file.

noel@uokmax.UUCP (Bamf) (08/06/89)

In article <119399@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>Consider the following two phrases :
>
>"I killed that person, but I am not guilty of any crime. After all,
> he was going to die someday anyway."
>
>"I stole a copy of this program, but I am not guilty of any crime. After
> all, I never would have purchased it anyway."

	Correct me if I'm wrong, but this has little to nothing to
do with comp.sys.amiga, even if thats where it all started.  I'm
getting tired of reading this tripe, so please move it somewhere
else.  Alt.sex has had a pretty bad S/N ratio, so try there...

Bamf

--
/*       "Can you do something out of this world?" -- Supertramp
----You want it should sing too?------|  noel@uokmax |  ...!texsun!uokmax!noel

I apologize for attempting to talk about morality in comp.sys.amiga. No
I don't get alt.flame so I can't post there sorry.

fc@lexicon.com (Frank Cunningham) (08/07/89)

In article <1517@ndmath.UUCP> fors@ndmath.UUCP (Guy Fors) writes:

> 	 Morality???  You really want to put someone with some pirate
> software in jail when confessed criminals (like Nixon) are free.  Sure
> we need morals but lets start at the top of the pile and work our way
> down to Joe Average.  Lets voice our moral opinion and put CEO of
> ...etc
> Guy Fors

Think globally, act locally.
--
-Frank Cunningham	smart: fc@lexicon.com
			dumb: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!fc

johnj@osiris.UUCP (John Johnston johnj@welch.jhu.edu) (08/08/89)

	This is a bit of a digression....

Chuck McManis writes:
>[...] A society as a whole has
>morals, and those morals are written down in the laws they make.
>Copying software is undeniably illegal, and by definition, society
>as a whole considers it to be immoral.

	Arguing moral philosophy is dangerous. Chuck's statements imply
that 'morality' is a consensus among the members of a society, and that
laws are the expression of that consensus and morality. Further, the
argument is made that "society as a whole considers piracy[sic] to be
immoral" - no appeals to an external platonic ideal "right" or "wrong"
are made.

	This is poor logic - if 'morality' is a consensus, then one
CANNOT argue in the same breath that society as a WHOLE considers
ANYTHING. You are left with the shaky argument that society on the
AVERAGE, or in the MAJORITY considers piracy immoral, which is a long way
from saying it is WRONG in an absolute sense. (since I would argue that
absolute right and wrong are not relative, and thus have nothing to do
with whether people believe in them or not.)

	The worst flaw in Chuck's argument is, simply put: if morality
is a consensus, it would be more accurate to say that pirating software
is about 50% wrong - since AT LEAST 50% of the computer owners I know
pirate software. No :-)

	The remaining argument would be to say pirating software is wrong
in an absolute sense - EVIL, in other words. If that's what you want to
say, don't bother bringing The Law into it - don't you get it ? If people
respected The Law, would there be software pirates ?

	--mjr();
	mjr@welch.jhu.edu

mitchell@janus.uucp (Evan Mitchell) (08/08/89)

In article <2921@osiris.UUCP> mjr@welch.jhu.edu (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:

>	This is a bit of a digression....

[deleted various points on morality..]
>	--mjr();
>	mjr@welch.jhu.edu

This piracy discussion is interesting, but let's bring it back to the Amiga! :-)

Personally, I think the piracy problem stems from various reasons.  I don't
believe people who pirate software (at least not for profit) are inherently
bad people.  In fact, the only people I've ever heard complain about it are
(rightly so, I might add) USENET-type people.  These are the people who have
the most to loose in terms of returns on investments.  However, for the
consumer at large, piracy isn't that much of a big deal.  In fact, piracy
often makes sense in a world based on economic models.  Why pay for something
that you can have for free.  In a way, piracy is kind of like selling drugs.
Both are illegal, and (to many) considered "morally reprehsible."  However,
both make perfect sense based on economic models.

I think THE problem with piracy comes from the use of magnetic media.  Disks
are copiable, PERIOD.  The analogy about the diamond ring should be expanded,
piracy isn't the same as stealing a diamond ring, it's more like taking the
diamond ring, and using it to create another diamond ring.

I personally would like to see more and better software for the Amiga, and
one need only look at the Atari ST & 8-bits to see what piracy can do to
a machine with a low installed user base.
|    Evan Jay Mitchell                 EECS/ERL Industrial Liaison Program    |
|    mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu       University of California at Berkeley   |
|    Phone: (415) 643-6687                                                    |
|              "Think, it ain't illegal...yet!" - George Clinton              |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

dbk@teroach.UUCP (Dave Kinzer) (08/08/89)

In article <2921@osiris.UUCP> mjr@welch.jhu.edu (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:

>	This is a bit of a digression....

No fucking shit.

            * * *   Imminent use of deathnet predicted.   * * *             //
Dave Kinzer  (602)897-3085  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!dbk  Opinions are mine. \X/

Got a problem with this posting, take it to Email.  EMAIL.  Got it?

COSC60I@elroy.uh.edu (Bandolar) (08/09/89)

> Be _definition_, anyone breaking the law is antisocial. That's true
> if you go 60MPH in a 55MPH zone, or you pirate software.
No!  A GROUP of people who were given thousands of dollars under the table
and in campaign contributions decided that it is anti-social.  For about
the same reason that the Stealth bomber program has programs in 48 out of
the 50 states.  It may be *MORALLY* wrong to pirate software.  It may
be *MORALLY* wrong to charge $50 for a non-working piece of junk too.
But, in either case, just because a majority of people in Washington deciding
to make it illegal doesn't make it morally wrong to pirate software.  Think
for yourself.  Not all laws are good.  The less of them the better.

--
Stephen McLeod, native Texican  | Interests: SF/Gaming, French, the SCA,
Vote Spock, the logical choice  | Computers, and friendly people

perley@vdsvax.crd.ge.com (Perley Donald P) (08/09/89)

In article <119606@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>From that point on you missed the point. A society as a whole has
>morals, and those morals are written down in the laws they make.
>Copying software is undeniably illegal, and by definition, society
>as a whole considers it to be immoral.
>
>Be _definition_, anyone breaking the law is antisocial. That's true
>if you go 60MPH in a 55MPH zone, or you pirate software.

Small quibble here on the speed limit.  New York's Thruway commissioner
has said he will not raise the limit above 55.  He is appointed, not
elected, and doesn't have to answer to the legislature.  No one can
directly overturn his ruling, although the governor could fire him if
it becomes a big enough issue.  That is a long way from democracy and
reflecting societies morals.

You are on much firmer ground (at least in New York) with your stand on
software, both morally, and on statistical compliance.

-don perley
--
-don perley
perley@crd.ge.com

griff@intelob.intel.com (Richard Griffith) (08/09/89)

In article <5021@alvin.mcnc.org> raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:

>In article <119606@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>>In article <4030@cps3xx.UUCP> porkka@frith.UUCP (Joe Porkka) writes:

[stuff deleted]

>>BBe _definition_, anyone breaking the law is antisocial. That's true
>>if you go 60MPH in a 55MPH zone, or you pirate software.
>>
>>or have your machine confiscated. No one cares. Just like the highway
>>patrol doesn't care that you were on a straight road, on a clear day,
>>with 20 mile visibility.
>>
>>To the person who walked into the science fiction convention with
>>all of the pirate software. Call the cops, throw them in jail. Every
>>person in the room with a disk can be tried and convicted of receiving
>>stolen property, and the people who put on the convention can just
>>be convicted of theft. If it is the moral responsibility of every citizen
>>to obey the laws it is also the moral responsibility to report to the
>>enforcement arm of society when they are broken.

[ humorous sarcastic reply deleted]

>	   Most of us are antisocial to some degree.  Many people will break the
>law if they cannot conceive of any harm being done, while good comes to them
>or others.  Society makes rules which can at times be bad on the micro level
>because they were constructed on the macro level.  If you're willing to accept
>what the law is as the definition of morality, then maybe you'd be happy in
>an ant farm, but individuals have reasoning abilities which they excercise
>in the discretion of how the greater good can be acheived.  Whether or not
>that includes copying is for the indivdual to decide, but my moral beliefs
>are determined by my thoughts and experiences, not by what the majority
>believes.

  What you have both said is, essentially, true.  And, if the person who started
this thread was SOOO upset over the amount of pirated software at that convention,
he should have *called the police*. >period<  You see, while there is corruption
and thievery at virtually every level of our social structure, it isn't going to
change until *everyone* starts to make that change.  Yes, Piracy is a bad thing,
whether that piracy is "I copied this program" or "Buy My NEW program ZYX, it's
great - does x and y and z and it's Neat-O!" on the box of a piece of garbage
software.. (Yes, IMHO that is piracy also, If I buy the right painting to put on
my software box, You'll buy it) .

  Face it, this society isn't "moral"...(Think about it - a womans bare breast
on national television is anethma to the "morals" of the majority - but just
last sunday night I saw a piece of a show where a woman's leg was ripped off...
This is Moral???? "Do unto others..." :-^ ) Don't drag the "morals of society"
into this - society has no morals, or if those morals exist - they're perverted.

  (back to comp.sys.amiga, sorry for the social commentary) Is there a lot of
piracy on the Amiga?  Sure.  More than other systems?  Nah - I once saw a pirated
copy of the ENTIRE SOURCE CODE FOR MESSY-DOS... yep source code.  For the
whole bloody ball of bat guano... I haven't seen anything like that for the Amy
yet... Games? yep, lots.  "Application" software, most, altho the pirate I talked
to lamented that nobody wanted to copy *that* save to have an unprotected copy
they could easily backup instead of the one they *bought*.  You see, productivity
software is really hard to use without manuals... (unlike MS-dos's Lotus, which
has been pirated heavily, thanks to much cheaper "third-party" user manuals all
over the market)

So to whoever started this mess:  You don't want to develop for a machine that
has rampant piracy - Fine, develop for the apple I - I'm sure there isn't much
piracy there, course, there isn't much of a market either.  IMHO, you probably
got scared off by the Amiga's OS - it takes a little more expertise to develop
under AmigaDOS/Intuition than it does under most other machines.  so...

                             - griff

--
:Richard E. Griffith, "griff" : BiiN, Hillsboro Ore.
:SCA!: Cyrus Hammerhand, Household of the Golden Wolf, Dragons' Mist, An Tir

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (06/11/90)

"saify.lanewala" <saify@cbnewsl.att.com> writes:

[Lots of praise to Fred Fish deleted here. 'Though I *CERTAINLY* agree
with all of it.  FF is one thing that the Amy has going that NO other
machine has!}

First, let me open by saying that I run a legitimate BBS.  I've never
promoted piracy and never will!

> I'll open myself up for flames and say that I feel that BBSes are much
> more vulnerable to the distribution of pirated software and/or software
> infringing on copyrights than other types software archive sources, such
> as the Fred Fish collection, xanth, uunet etc.

BBSs are really no more vulernable than most other methods of
distribution.  It's just that you see a lot more BBSs run by these
"neeto /<oo/ |>oods" with all their latest "warez".  While I'm somewhat
older (and, I hope wiser) I realize that I can't afford litigation
concerning software piracy.  I've got a wife, kid, and dog to support!

It is a *REAL* problem.  And I've been contacted by author's
representatives twice.  The first time, an individual uploaded the first
brain file for Marauder II to the BBS. The file was not labeled as being
written by DSI, and the only instructions were to place the file in the
L: directory.  The next morning at 10:30AM Rick Ross from DSI logged on
the BBS and requested (very nicely) that I call him collect about the
file.  I removed the file and called him (on my dime) immediately.  He
was quite understanding about the whole thing.  It seemed that someone
logged on his BBS with a fictitious name and left a message that he
should check out that file on my BBS.  Seems someone may have been out
to get me!

The second case was due to an individual leaving many detailed messages
concerning the changes implemented in Transformer 1.2.  Somehow, Simile
got wind of his discussions and wanted information on how he came to
have the copy.  I cooperated with them and provided the name, address
and phone number of the individual (reputed to be the largest
"collector" in the local area.)

> Perhaps there is a way in which we can attempt to control the
> dissemination of such problem software if everyone who maintains an
> archive were to clear any software submissions through the ASP.

How do we "control" dissemination of software.  I think the best avenue
would be one of education.  I'd certainly be willing to post any and all
"press releases" concerning raids on BBS operators that were running
pirate boards.  Most of the callers to my BBS are aware of my thoughts
on this matter and will let me know immediately if there is any question
about any submission.  They realize that I will immediately remove
anything that is questionable.

And what is the ASP?  How would I go about clearing the latest
submissions to my BBS through the ASP?  I can't spend a lot of time nor
money calling out.

> I'm sure such an approach would be a pain for quite a few of us, but in
> the long run, it would help more than hinder the growth of the software
> industry.  Speaking for myself, I would be spend less time worrying
> about my applications being pirated and more time developing a
> professional product if I had confidence that there were more people
> with integrity out there than without.

I think that more of us have integrity than don't.  Unfortunately, it
doesn't take too many without integrity to do a lot of harm.

> Any thoughts?

I'd like to see some sort of active effort to close down pirate BBSs. In
every case, it seems that you have to upload commercial software to gain
access, so anyone that is not a pirate cannot gain access without
committing a crime.  Perhaps some authors could upload special "demo"
versions of their programs to obtain access to "elite" sections of these
BBSs and then file formal charges against the operators.

> Please, if you must, flame me by e-mail -- don't waste bandwidth.
>
> Saify Lanewala
> .. att!attunix!stl

   --- Cal
           ____
 HOBBIT   / / /  340 Meg Online
  HOLE   / / /  12/24/9600HST bps                   AMIGA:
  ____  / / /  Exclusively   Amiga
  \ \ \/ / /  "Best Amiga BBS in FL"    The computer for the BEST of us!
   \ \ \/ /  July, 1989 Final List(tm)
    \_\_\/  A comfortable place to meet
 --------------------------------------
 Cal Jones, Sysop.  904-243-6219  24Hrs

 "I'll show you my file list if you'll show me yours."

saify@cbnewsl.att.com (saify.lanewala) (06/14/90)

In article <21678@snow-white.udel.EDU>, jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
 [ responding to my earlier post re piracy]

> First, let me open by saying that I run a legitimate BBS.  I've never
> promoted piracy and never will!

 [ I made some comments about BBSes being more vulnerable to piracy
   than FF, xanth  etc.]

> BBSs are really no more vulernable than most other methods of
> distribution.  It's just that you see a lot more BBSs run by these
> "neeto /<oo/ |>oods" with all their latest "warez".  While I'm somewhat
> older (and, I hope wiser) I realize that I can't afford litigation
> concerning software piracy.  I've got a wife, kid, and dog to support!
>
> How do we "control" dissemination of software.  I think the best avenue
> would be one of education.  I'd certainly be willing to post any and all
> "press releases" concerning raids on BBS operators that were running
> pirate boards.  Most of the callers to my BBS are aware of my thoughts
> on this matter and will let me know immediately if there is any question
> about any submission.  They realize that I will immediately remove
> anything that is questionable.
>
> And what is the ASP?  How would I go about clearing the latest
> submissions to my BBS through the ASP?  I can't spend a lot of time nor
> money calling out.
>
> I think that more of us have integrity than don't.  Unfortunately, it
> doesn't take too many without integrity to do a lot of harm.
>

> I'd like to see some sort of active effort to close down pirate BBSs. In
> every case, it seems that you have to upload commercial software to gain
> access, so anyone that is not a pirate cannot gain access without
> committing a crime.  Perhaps some authors could upload special "demo"
> versions of their programs to obtain access to "elite" sections of these
> BBSs and then file formal charges against the operators.
>

>    --- Cal
>            ____
>  Cal Jones, Sysop.  904-243-6219  24Hrs

Sorry to include such a long posting.  Naturally, as I'm sure you
all understand, I don't mean to imply that *ALL* BBSes are problematical.

I would suppose that there are potential difficulties with ftp sites,
except that access to such sites requires a few more resources than the
average BBS.

What are your thoughts on charging a fee for people to join a BBS?
Lots of them do that right now.  My presumption is that a fee would
restrict the amount of participation to "serious" folk.

Perhaps another way would be to advertise all the known pirate BBSes,
so we can start boycotting them.  I'm sure that alone would not stop
them, but it would send a message that we're serious about stopping
software piracy.

Unfortunately, I think it's also going to require software developers
to start providing "limited functionality" demos on selected sites/BBSes
so that people can try before they buy.

As far as the ASP is concerned, they are a professional organization
that attempts to monitor and control software piracy.  Perhaps the ASP
could take the lead in this and distribute a newsletter periodically
identifying problem software.  It's not ideal, but at least it would
raise a flag.

As you mention, personal integrity is the key.  Much as I don't like
copy-protected software, I can understand why we have it.

I want to emphasize again that I have no solutions, only opinions
and questions.  I want to start some meaningful dialogue and search
for possible ways out of this mess.  Most of all, I want us all to
avoid flaming each other, because it invariably causes the discussions
to go off on a tangent.

Saify Lanewala
.. att!attunix!stl

umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) (08/19/90)

In article <rps2.1506@amoeba2.UUCP> rps2@amoeba2.UUCP (Rick Stevens) writes:

>Actually, doing even 1 copy of a copyrighted program is pirating.  If the
>program is copyrighted, you make a copy, and sell it, you've infringed on
>the copyright and you are a pirate.
>
>I don't wanna start another flame fest or thread regarding what is and isn't
>pirating, but in my book if you have a copyrighted program and didn't get it
>from the publisher or a distribution channel (retailer, distributor, etc.)
>authorized by the publisher, then you own a pirated program.  Period.

Are you saying that a person re-selling software bought is a pirate?
For example, I recently bought myself an Amiga 500.  Now, my collection
of software for my Commodore 128 is useless to me.  If I do as I plan,
and sell the computer with the software, you deem me a pirate, when all
I am trying to do is recoup some of the expense that I occurred in owning
my 128.

     Daryl Turner
          <umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca>