[comp.sys.amiga] Plotters?

andrewsr@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (08/17/90)

Hi all!

Some good friends of mine are interested in getting an Amiga system.
However, they MUST have the capability to use a high quality
plotter---specifically, a Ruby-lith plotter (spelling?).

They need to have the plotter cut a image onto this ruby-lith and then
peel it off and use it for silk screen generation (used in
T-shirt/Sweatshirt production).

They have seen such a beast running on an $18,000 graphics machine, so
I know it does exist.  I wonder if there is a driver for it on the
Amiga?  If so, what kind of software would help utilize it?

Any help/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
-Rich
--
  // Rich    | "Like any good philosophical discussion, the   |    //
\X/  Andrews |  conclusion is left unresolved." -McLaughlin   |  \X/

[I broadened the distribution to try to get some input from the comp.graphics
 folks for the original poster.]

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>andrewsr@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) writes:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Some good friends of mine are interested in getting an Amiga system.
>> However, they MUST have the capability to use a high quality
>> plotter---specifically, a Ruby-lith plotter (spelling?).
>>
>> They need to have the plotter cut a image onto this ruby-lith and then
>> peel it off and use it for silk screen generation (used in
>> T-shirt/Sweatshirt production).
>>
>> They have seen such a beast running on an $18,000 graphics machine, so
>> I know it does exist.  I wonder if there is a driver for it on the
>> Amiga?  If so, what kind of software would help utilize it?
>>
>> Any help/experience would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> -Rich

>Ask them, but I suspect it will run on HP-GL commands. I either case, you
>would not use a "driver" as such, but a program that supports the plotter
>command set. If it runs on HP-GL, just about every vector mapping program
>will handle it (IntroCAD is probably cheapest). I can't imagine it being
>the sort of thing you want to use with your wordprocessor or appointments
>manager.

>Regards Alan

A couple of additions:  if that is the rubberized paint on plastic stuff
our printer shop used about 15 years ago, the plotter can be a fairly
ordinary plotter, but the plot head is a chisel, and is capable of both
moving and turning, so that the chisel edge always faces the direction of
travel.  There are several fairly special things a plot program for such a
medium must do, like cutting lines both ways to kick out the cruft that
has fallen back into the channel, and doing a 360 degree turn at any turn
more than a small number of degrees to assure that the lines join without
a gap.

Your friends should look very carefully at the software they get; I _think_
just grabbing any plot package and going with it will work at best not to
well, and may not work at all.  That doesn't mean that they can't, for
example, make all their lines run both ways in the plot data, but for sure
it will take a lot of extra work.

They should talk to the manufacturer of the _plotter_ for that $18,000
graphics package and ask if source code for a ruby-lith plotter driver
is available for porting to the Amiga, or, best of all, already ported.

It will be more than a _small_ matter of programming to make the Amiga and
that plot medium work really well together.

Lots of luck, and let us know how it goes.

Kent, the man from xanth.

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (08/19/90)